How would you rate episode 310?

Ran

How would you rate episode 310?  

1,120 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

9/10. I enjoyed it, and they did a very good job at wrapping up S3 arcs and setting the stage for S4.

Favorite scenes:

- RW finale at the Twins, with poor Arya witnessing the barbaric RobbWind desecration (glad they included this, though the head did not look sewn on), and slimy Walder Frey and Roose Bolton gloating. Can't wait for their takedown.

- Arya takes revenge on the jeering Frey soldier! A skillfully deceptive Valar Morghulis scene, masterfully done. No wonder we love Maisie Williams' Arya. I look forward to more Arya/Hound road trip; they're fun to watch. I'm not a Hound fan, but I'm coming around.

- The Nightfort: Rat Cook story tie-in to RW and the dire consequences for violating Guest Right -- smart subtle move by the writers. A bit more hodoring, lol. I loved everything about the meeting of Bran and Sam, with Sam recognizing Summer, Bran and Hodor. Thankfully Sam brought spare dragonglass.

- Jon and Ygritte: Touching broken hearted farewell with bittersweet "You know nothing, Jon Snow." Very well acted; Rose Leslie is terrific. After all the bitching last week, she shot him 3 times!

- Castle Black: Jon and Sam return home, what a relief. Excellent scene with Sam and Maester Aemon, with Sam's "We didn't build 500 miles of ice wall 700 ft. high to keep out men" speech triggering Maester Aemon to sound the alarm throughout Westeros. Best Sam episode ever; he finally found his voice.

- Small council: It's always fun to watch the Lannisters do battle, with (mild) Joffrey smackdowns. I don't want to be anywhere near Tywin, but he is The Man.

- Tyrion with Tywin, Sansa, Cersei. In this brutally dark series, it's a good idea to give show fans someone smart, politically savvy, witty and moderately kind to root for.

- Balon and Asha/Yara Greyjoy debate over the horrific Theon-cock-in-a-box. OMG. I disliked the Asha actress last season (worst casting, along with Shae), but she did a fine job at standing up to worst-father-contender Balon and charging off to rescue her brother. I was a bit surprised that Ramsay flayed the 20 Ironborn at Winterfell, though in retrospect I should have expected it. That's how he rolls, just as Roose trained him.

- Every scene with Davos and/or Shireen is a win; both actors are terrific. And Stannis is headed to the Wall. Finally someone takes the Night's Watch warnings seriously.

OK:

- Dany and Mhysa was anti-climactic but an upbeat closing note after the tragedy of the RW. We see Dany seduced by adulation and overconfident following two easy wins including never-been-conquered Yunkai. Dragon closeups are always a thrill.

- Reek is born and Ramsay Snow is finally revealed. It's about time. I hope this story arc will be deemphasized in S4. After all that buildup, the reveal could have been clearer; my smart unsullied friends were still confused.

- Short changed: Sansa grieving the RW, Jaime's inconclusive reunion with Cersei.

- Not sure where they're going with Shea and Varys, but I'm sure D&D are laying the groundwork.

Season 4:

Lady Stoneheart would have been a fantastic shocking cliffhanger to end S3 for book readers, but I don't think they had time to do it justice. I expect it early in S4. I also have high hopes for Coldhands.

I'm already suffering from GoT withdrawal. I want more, and I want it NOW. Bring on the PW!

Edited by SummerSong

For the people trashing the show, you do realize that this show is simply a gift right? It's something for us to watch and enjoy until the next book is done. It can't be as good as the books. Ever. So chill out and enjoy this little gift and hope GRRM finished the next two books before the next ice age. Because the books are all that matter. The show is just filler. And it is amazing filler at that.

I'm sorry but i don't agree at all with you. The show is supposed to be an adaptation of the books for a much wider audience. And it's done by such a large and famous producer as HBO is. This means we should not expect of it to be a filling entertainment, but an artistic and cinematic recreation somehow on the same quality levels that the books hold.

And this season's ending seem pretty low-gone if people have to argue, like you, that it's a filler or that as a season finale, it's not expected to be as intense as in the books.

This just goes to explain how the show has treasoned it's values and objectives, IMO. Through it's many changes in figures, situations and storylines it seems that it has left aside it's role as a representation of the books, to try to evolve to a single entity by itself. Yet the impact and plot climaxes of it's story are totally based on the book, without any changes (and missed IMO) That leaves the changes introduced in the series to mere fillers.

And don't misunderstand me: some changes have been made and work good IMO. For example Arya's personal evolution, though a bit forgotten, has been worked out pretty well with it's changes, to it's climax in this episode.

The changes that annoy me and make me feel like the series lost it's base are the ones that exaggerate the book's storyline to introduce forced events and situation, which mostly result in chliché scenes and confusing character's development. The whole drama-love scene between Ygritte and Jon, with it's tragic ending (Ygritte hurting Jon with 3 arrows while crying) seemed so forced and unrealistic in terms of geography (how did Ygritte find Jon?) and character that, as I said before, I first thought it was a dream of Jon. And it's only an example.

I don't have any problem with the series growing apart from the books, but IMO D&D have lost their way, and ly now between trying to folllow the plots with more impact in the books and making so many and so large changes to introduce the typical tv-series topics into the whole storyline that the characters seem hanging between both sides, making them pretty blurred out.

Maybe it's my own fault to get disappointed, for expecting something close to the greatness of The Wire and The Sopranos, but the first season proved me about right: the show can come close to HBO's greatest series, IMO, it depends on D&D to find their own way between TV and books. (As they did in the first season)

I'm sorry but i don't agree at all with you. The show is supposed to be an adaptation of the books for a much wider audience. And it's done by such a large and famous producer as HBO is. This means we should not expect of it to be a filling entertainment, but an artistic and cinematic recreation somehow on the same quality levels that the books hold.

And this season's ending seem pretty low-gone if people have to argue, like you, that it's a filler or that as a season finale, it's not expected to be as intense as in the books.

This just goes to explain how the show has treasoned it's values and objectives, IMO. Through it's many changes in figures, situations and storylines it seems that it has left aside it's role as a representation of the books, to try to evolve to a single entity by itself. Yet the impact and plot climaxes of it's story are totally based on the book, without any changes (and missed IMO) That leaves the changes introduced in the series to mere fillers.

And don't misunderstand me: some changes have been made and work good IMO. For example Arya's personal evolution, though a bit forgotten, has been worked out pretty well with it's changes, to it's climax in this episode.

The changes that annoy me and make me feel like the series lost it's base are the ones that exaggerate the book's storyline to introduce forced events and situation, which mostly result in chliché scenes and confusing character's development. The whole drama-love scene between Ygritte and Jon, with it's tragic ending (Ygritte hurting Jon with 3 arrows while crying) seemed so forced and unrealistic in terms of geography (how did Ygritte find Jon?) and character that, as I said before, I first thought it was a dream of Jon. And it's only an example.

I don't have any problem with the series growing apart from the books, but IMO D&D have lost their way, and ly now between trying to folllow the plots with more impact in the books and making so many and so large changes to introduce the typical tv-series topics into the whole storyline that the characters seem hanging between both sides, making them pretty blurred out.

Maybe it's my own fault to get disappointed, for expecting something close to the greatness of The Wire and The Sopranos, but the first season proved me about right: the show can come close to HBO's greatest series, IMO, it depends on D&D to find their own way between TV and books. (As they did in the first season)

Season 3 was a lot better than Season 2, IMO, and was pretty close to as good as 1.

My first thoughts after watching the episode were, "wow that was fucking terrible."

After a rewatch I wasn't as harsh but I still felt the ep was pretty bad.

1. Sansa joking around with Tyrion about pranks? She is still trying to come to grips with the fact that she is married to the Imp. BS.

2. Stannis laughing and sentencing Davos to die. BS.

3. Asha white-knighting for Theon and claiming she is going to assault the Dreadfort with 50 men. I mean seriously? BS.

4. Jon Snow regaining consciousness in Castle Black and recognizing Sam and Pyp but NOT WARNING THEM OF THE WILDLINGS COMING FROM THE SOUTH? BS.

5. Dany crowd surfing... Wow was that lame, especially as a season finale ender. BS.

6. Varys offering Shae diamonds to GTFO? I feel like he would have done that in a much more subtle way, most likely using someone else as a catalyst. He just tipped his hand too much for my taste. But the biggest BS was her not accepting them. She is an upjumped peasant whore from a foreign land who has been sneaking around with a married lord whose own standing is precarious. How long does she think this can keep up? Dumb. BS.

Now there were many things I did like about the episode. I ended up giving it a 7, which was very generous.

1. Roose Bolton. What a commanding presence. His sly remarks and glances at Walder Frey about gave me goosebumps. Dude NAILED that character.

2. Likewise, Ramsay Snow has been such a creepy freak. It is perfect. I still don't understand why people complain about his scenes.

3. Sam's scenes were actually pretty good as well.

4. Arya is finally starting to come into her dark role.

5. Tywin/Joffrey/Tyrion was glorious as usual.

As a normal episode it was "okay" but for a finale it sucked. Way too many changes and fundamental character breakdowns for me.

I completely agree in spirit with A Redeemed Hound, in the sense that I never would have read the series anyway if I hadn't got into the adaptation first (two seasons in). Reading first highlights flaws, but also highlights improvements. It's been the best thing on TV for the last three years.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this is actually as good as the second season, but I thought at the time, as a non-reader, that the second was better than the first.

Edited by The Killer Snark

I gave it a 10, for me it was one of my 3 favorite episodes. I was disappointed by the RW as compared to the genious RW in the book so ep 9 is not one of my 3 favorites. I very much enjoyed the Tywin scenes Tywin/Joffrey (so well acted by both) Tywin/Tyrion (I think another big hint that Tyrion is not his son) I liked the Hound/Arya scenes (so well acted as well...Valar Morghulis!!!...you could already see what will become of her.)...as to the Mhysa scene at the end...I did not like it as well..but well...those Mhysa scenes in the book I did not like them either...those endless..my children!!...monologues..aaahhh..

I gave it a 7, only because of the ending, I was expecting so much more.

My favorites were:

Arya putting the hurt on the Frey guy

The scenes between Davos and Gendry

The small council meeting

The scene were Jamie walked in on Cersei, it was short but the look on Jamie's face was priceless.

And of course all things involving Stannis

The interaction between Walder Frey, and Roose Bolton were pretty damn awesome.

I gave a 9.

Most of the episode I loved:

- Robb-Wind (well, not loved, more like was horrified and prob shed a tear, but loved that they showed it)

-The Rat Cook story and emphasizing (finally!) the importance of guest right.

-Arya and Valar Morghulis and how she saw Robb-Wind

-Joffrey being horrible and still wanting to torment Sansa

- Seeing Walder Frey again. Ramsay and Reek.

- I actually liked the Sansa and Tyrion banter. Might not be book-accurate but I suspect the writers wanted to (mis)lead viewers into thinking that the couple might eventually get along, only to have their expectations come crashing down when Sansa hears about the RW.

So yeah, many cool stuff there.

I was a bit wtf with Shae and Varys. I really don't get what purpose this scene served.

Jaime's return was quite underwhelming as was the finale. I didn't get how they went from "the city is yours" last episode, to "we didnt sack the city". Ehm, so what happened then?

I do believe ending with UnCat would have given viewers the same wtf moment that I felt as an unsullied when Season 1 and 2 ended. But hey, whatever.

I enjoyed it. I would give a 7.5

Really liked the Arya/Hound scene. They are doing a great job building a dynamic between those to characters...yet i tend to say that about everyone Massie is on screen with.

I think the things that turned me against this episode a bit was the level of cheese and melodrama. The ending with Dany for example. I think it was unnecessarily over the top.

I liked the scene with Jon and Eggritte but again I think they heavy handed it to much. Kit Harringtons looks of "She shot me...I can't believe she really shot me" was his best acting of the whole series.

Powerful stuff with Greywinds head and Robs body.

I liked the Stannis scene although I think they lost a bit of opportunity for how much Stannis grows at exactly this moment. The whole realization of putting the cart before the horse was such a defining moment and they downplayed that part a bit much.

Overall it was a good builder episode which is true to form for the show. I just think whichever director this was went a bit more meat fisted then i like.

5 for me - the show is starting to feel like 90210 or something rather than a dark edged medieval masterpiece.

Also fed up with they way they keep changing characters for seemingly no reason.

I am talking turning John Snow into a blubbering idiot, making Shea a noble bad ass (I guess she's going to miss the bolt), making Ygritte a noble bad ass, making Asha love her brother, and making Ramsay Snow look like a demented hobbit extra. To name but a few.

Although, offset for me by superb portrayals of Roose Bolton, Tywin Lannister, Sandor Clegane, Tyrion and of course Arya.

i love the show and the books and i completely respect and understand that they are two different forms of entertainment and when adapting a world like the one GRRM created you will have to change some things for it to work on television..... that being said, i give the episode an 8 the things i didnt like stem all the way back to the first season. King Stannis is too submissive to Mel they should have kept that from the books, that he saved davos and went to the wall because of his counsel. also i didnt like the ramsay snow reveal.... i really wished that they would have had reek in winterfell and ramsays presence would be known in season 2 but its shaping up to be an amazing adaptation of the books overall of course they are going to change things to fit the story and how it unfolds differently but one problem i have............. WHY THE HELL WAS THE BLACKFISH AT THE RW!!!!! when jaime goes to end the seige at riverrun i love the dialouge from the books i hope the black fish escaping the twins doesnt effect that eventual confrontation

3/10

My grievances (in no particular order):

1. The Danny crowd-surfing moment was seriously lame, just so, so lame.

2. Sam and Gilly's scene with Bran and his lot was awkward and rushed at best. Leaving out even the mention of Cold Hands was a crucial mistake, and could have helped build up anticipation for season 4.

3. The scene between Varys and Shae was just too much of a reveal for the secret workings of the Spider. Looking back at a season or two ago, when Little Finger and Varys had open discussion as to what they were up to was so out of character for each of them I nearly threw my remote at my TV.

Basically the liberties that the folks at HBO are taking are just too bold. This series is near and dear to my heart.

Edited by Ian Pline

I gave it 7. I would have liked to see a good cliffhanger. However, it included some very good acting and tied up some loose ends.

-Seeing Robb-Wind was heart-breaking but effective.

-I love the new Arya-Hound dynamic - two very different, very angry people. You know that the Hound has her back.

-We now know for certain whether or not Theon will be carrying on the Greyjoy dynasty. Not. I was never sure from the books.

-The scene between Asha and Balon Greyjoy – thumbs down to Balon for being the worst father of the year and thumbs up to Asha for standing up to him

-Loved Tywin sending Joffrey to bed for misbehaving. Charles Dance is amazing as Tywin and Jack Gleeson is so good at making us hate Joffrey.

-I know Shae can’t leave because of the storyline, but I really wish she had taken the money and gone. In spite of all the talk of true love, Shae loves Shae more than Tyrion and is a liability to him.

-I didn’t like the Dragonstone scene in terms of Stannis’ decision to go to the North. It made it look like Melissandre's idea and made Stannis look like Melissandre’s puppet. I like Davos, but he is either a saint or a fool to continue to support the Stannis being portrayed. The only reason I can overlook Stannis laughing and smiling is because I can accept that he is beside himself with joy to finally have something real to do besides moping and enduring Melissandre’s ambiguous prophecies and ominous/self-satisfied glances.

-The scene with Daenerys was cheesy. I would have preferred to see her ride a horse into the crowd. I’m actually more a fan of the dragons and the people around her than Daenerys herself.

Edited by Green Sleeves

I voted 1/10, the worst episode of the series, the third season is a let down.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion. It just boggles me that, if you think that something was complete and utter shit, why go on the internet to further read and comment about it. Life is too short to spend on things that you don't enjoy. :cool4: