How would you rate episode 310?

Ran

How would you rate episode 310?  

1,120 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Another problem is, when you consider all other long term Tv series, generally the second season is way better than the first, and the third is rather so-so... in the Tv series Game of Thrones, I guess pretty much everyone agrees that the first was the best... so from my point of view, there is a problem here... I consider quitting, but I guess curiosity win... I do hope the 4th season would be better... otherwise, do not know what to say...

That's not necessarily the case. Sopranos season 1 is so much better than season 2.

This is just a general statement not directed at the person I quoted: I feel really bad for some of you extreme book purist. There are definitely valid gripes for some of the changes the show runners have made. For example, the butchering of the house of the undying last year or the mostly one dimensional portrayal of the blackfish this year--although I still think he's a badass. However, I really think overall this show has been amazing. I read some of these posts and it sounds like little children getting all pissy because their mom packed them a turkey sandwich instead of a PB&J. Any adaptation will have alterations. And IMO this is a good thing for us book readers because we won't always know what's going to happen. I think some of you just need to stop making a straight comparison between book and show for every single detail. Just enjoy the fact that one of the best series of our time is being adapted by the best cable television network. I feel blessed that we have two mediums to experience the world of ice and fire.

Edited by TheWhiteRabbit

There were a ton of book differences. I know it's tough rounding out a season roughly 60-70% into the book its adapting, but a lot of the rounding out felt contrived. I thought the "Mhysa" thing with Dany was contrived and underwhelming compared to the mid season climax in Astapor. The Ygritte/Jon scene was implausible and weighed down by the cliche'd love story. The buddy/buddy Tyrion/Sansa scene was off. The Shae/Varys scene almost gave me a heart attack. I thought for a minute they were going to walk right into the abyss with changing things. It felt like D&D were trolling book readers.

I agree the Ygritte scene was unnecessary - they could have had her shoot him in the previous episode and free up more time for other scenes.

Tyrion/Sansa wasn't that bad - in the books they aren't besties, but they don't hate each other.

I guess the Shae scene is about driving a wedge between her and Trion. Not needed, and I felt it was dumbing the plot down a bit. Takes away a little bit of shock at finding Shae in Tywin's bed.

Season 4 will be good though. It will be very wall orientated.

About John Snow: John Snow looked weak, crying like a ho. I couldn't believe that shit, I literally laughed. Pathetic and I know that shit wasn't in the book.

This shit is wild. They have decided they can do whatever they want, readers can go to hell. Surprised they didn't make Rob beg for his life last week end.

Nice use of language. Sure the misogyny was ironic and all that.

Jon Snow is a KID in the books, so it's not entirely out of character... And I think the Ygritte romance has had some really touching moments, and that was another one tbh.

Seriously, is it just me that loved that scene?

What I don't get about the Jon and Yigrette scene was how she caught up to him on foot, while he was on a horse so fast? Not to mention how did she randomly just split up from the others? The logistics of it just didn't make any sense.

Nice use of language. Sure the misogyny was ironic and all that.

Jon Snow is a KID in the books, so it's not entirely out of character... And I think the Ygritte romance has had some really touching moments, and that was another one tbh.

Thanks for the love homie

Isn't this thread supposed to be spoiler free for the sake of the (admittedly few) non-readers here?

I liked it a lot too. I didn't really notice the logistics of travel until I saw it pointed out and I still don't particularly care because it brought us a pretty great scene with good acting on both fronts. Rose Leslie really was amazing, she was thoroughly fierce but still utterly devastated.

(Future book spoiler stuff below)

I'm really glad they included it because one last confrontation between them is going to make their final scene even more devastating for me.

9/10: Two of the big missing moments from S3E9 were in this episode for me (Ygritte and the arrows; Rob and his final "march"). Also, the utter destruction of the Northern camps outside the wedding was shown in a very spectacular way this episode. Khaleesi's moment at the end of the episode wasn't as spectacular as the last two seasons, but it was still pretty good. And that small council meeting--badass!

Good episode but could have been a lot more epic, like the finales to the last two seasons. Could have had an epic shot of Stannis' fleet setting sail for the North, could maybe have had UnCat opening her eyes, an overhead shot of Bran &co in the middle of the white wilderness. I wonder if they wanted to do more but were constrained by the budget, or if they just chose to wind it down gently.

I think its impossible to have a spoiler free forum in here, thats because of all the action, difficulties and changes for the TV-Show. How should you been able to discuss about it? Most people read the books. Its simply almost every post in here includes spoilers, by arguing their expectation of plots/characters development.

If you want to stay away from spoilers don't look into the forums, especially in here. Because this site was made for the bookreaders.

Maybe there is a forum from HBO just for Show watchers. But even than you know how it is now a days. Doesn't matter where you are, there is always risk of getting spoiled.

(Facebook, Youtube, Forums etc.)

Best way is really to ignore it. Same as for me as i have just started with aDwD and there for i am very careful where i read. I could have finished the book, but i need a way to survive the time after we now finished season 3. And there is nothing better than read a good book during the summer. It became like a ritual to me.

Edited by Ser Vogler

A 10 from me. I loved the interactions in the episode. Though I realise a number of the characters are diverging from the book in terms of character and motivation, I'm ok with that as long as the main stream of the story remains the same. By the time of next season I'll probably have forgotten more if not most of Storm of Swords (read books back to back after 1st series in 2011), so minor changes won't bother me.

Although there was no stand out action scenes, I liked that they gave a fair amount of screen time to all the main characters to confirm / set up status, and a few of the ones you could have nearly forgotten about we're also re-introduced.

An 8.

The episode's start was good. Really good. Bolton looking over the tower, the later scene of Bolton and Frey, followed by Ramsay's reveal. Also the Joffrey/Tywin clash is setting things for season 4.

Arya stabbing the Frey makes much more sense than stabbing the Tickler. She was full of rage and the whole callback to her being a killer and saying Valar Morghulis was very good.

Only weak point was that there was no shocking climax like dragons or White Walkers.

I loved the Arya scene where she showed no remorse and it shows that she has made her decision to find Jaqen H'ghar and learn his ways, and clegane (Hound) sees what she is capable of.

I like the sadness Ygritte showed in shooting Jon with arrows.... in all it was an OK episode.... but as a finale im not sure, i was expecting a little more at the end.... i understand the end was still a great ending... just not as hitting as some hoped for.... maybe could have finished with theon becoming reek and left the non readers thinking wtf?

In a big way i think The rains of castamere was more compelling to watch.

Cannot wait for next season either way.

The pervasive negativity here both astonishes and amuses me. So many negative posts, usually based on the critically flawed foundation "but it's not like the books!" No it isn't nor will it ever be, nor could it be no matter what. what works in a book probably won't work on film; they're different mediums folks and have their own demands. Learn to view art on its own terms, not your personal comparison with another artwork even if they are somehow related. Nobody is capable of the "perfect" interpretation of the books. One person's image of a chracter, location, or whatever will rarely if ever match another's. When you spend your time projecting how you sw something in the book, you aren't seeing the show/film that's in front of you on ITS terms.

The second problem is wanting to see something NOW just because you know it's coming (see above regarding bringing your own baggage to reviewing). But unless you've been a fly on the wall in the showrunners' offices, you have no idea where it's going or what they will retain, omit, or restructure. Your personal vision of what you "would have done" is not The Truth. Also try to learn about film/television production. After nearly 30 years working in theatre, I have a pretty good idea of what goes into bringing something alive in the performing arts, and these folks are doing a magnificent job with this series. Don't like "tying up storylines"? Well, it has to be done or the same people would be complaining that they didn't tie things up and left everything dangling. The complaints that "nothing happened to advance the story" are groundless. Not all action is physical. Character development and plot depth can happen in simple conversation if your mind is open to it. Dig into the Netflix library and rent "My Dinner With Andre" to see a wonderful piece of drama that has no action except for what occurs between two people talking while seated at a table. But if you want swords and fighting , raping and killing, running and fleeing, etc. all the time, if that's how you define dramatic action, you'll be bored senseless despite the fact that this is an acknowledged excellent film. Nothing "happens" in "Waiting for Godot" but it's an acknowledged masterpiece that eventually retrained our thinking about theatre and acting.

Boring episode? Only if you aren't paying total attention and/or don't understand the nature of drama. The writers were very wise not to try to equal or top the previous episode which was arguably the most devastating and important episode of the series to date. Instead, they created a transition piece to brindge this season and the next. in retrospect, many now complaining will more fully appreciate what they did once season four unfolds. they did a great job and I for one will wait as patiently as a can until next year. This is some of the best stuff out there and even at its weakest moments far outshines the vast majority of the dumbed down garbage that's broadcast. Let's enjoy our giift instead of complaining that it's not exactly what we wanted for Christmas. GREAT SHOW, GREAT SEASON. Everyone involved deserves our thanks, respect and support. BRING ON SEASON 4!

Now that I have seen the end of Season 3, it would be easy to dismiss it as banal and uneventful. However, this is merely an illusion. GoT has reached a point no other series has achieved. In Season 3, we were treated to more than the previous seasons. We have simply become accustomed to shock and surprise, that is all. This season was as much of a roller coaster ride as the previous seasons. We simply learned to accept the twists and turns. However, this did not diminish the excitement the ride can provide. I am as eager to see Season 4, as I was the previous seasons. My only reason for the wanting the eventual ending has to do with my yearning to read the books afterwards. Nothing else will tear me away from what I see is the undoubtably best television series I have watched in my life. Bring it on GoT, I am ready.