(Book Spoilers) Theon and the reveal

SerWest

I guess I thought the reveal would be more significant, since they've been building it up ALLLLLL season. like, it would actually relate to another plot point. oh well. it was nicely done. just felt a little underwhelming after the buildup.

Well, I mean, it did relate to another plot point... the fact that he's a different character's bastard son. The only problem being that the mystery (for book readers and keen observers) was veiled too thinly. I did ask a lot of people though, and most didn't know who or what his deal was.

It seems like ultimately much ado about nothing. The reveal comes so far after Bolton's betrayal and the Starks being destroyed, I don't see that it had much dramatic impact considering all the nonsense HBO went through about his identity.

It seems like ultimately much ado about nothing. The reveal comes so far after Bolton's betrayal and the Starks being destroyed, I don't see that it had much dramatic impact considering all the nonsense HBO went through about his identity.

They could've trimmed about 10 minutes off of it in retrospect.. it wasn't really meant to be like an "OMG" reveal - but they did it in a concise way to make it known that Bolton (who is now established as a main antagonist going forward) has a son who is part of the plan.. My unsullied friends (very casual viewers at that) had predictions beforehand that Yara was behind his capture/torture so people were kind of interested in who the guy was, and they DO NOT like him.. they knew immediately it was Roose Bolton's son which was how it was supposed to be and they immediately were saying "I hope Theon's sister kills him"

Theon seems sufficiently broken to me - if people are expecting a white haired mousy looking guy they may be disapointed, but lose a few more teeth and a few fingers and the next time we see 'Reek' will be enough (doubt they'll show it because Ramsay will likely start using him for other things)

The whole "What's your name" dialogue is basically just how that kind of thing is done for TV - it's contrived but that's just the way it always is usually. I mean Theon saying "kill me" says a lot - we all would say the same thing in his position. He's learned to go with whatever Ramsay expects of him and that's very telling for an ambitious young kid we knew in previous seasons.

And we now have this gif http://25.media.tumb...iyhd9o3_250.gif which is great forum material ;)

Wonder if we will get Theon saying something like "Reek,rhymes with...." I know that's all internal but i think they may be able to fit it in.

If they do it'll be throwing the book readers a bone - it won't be from Theon.. Reek will probably do the baby talk when trying to get Theon to remember his name and give us a ".. it rhymed with <insert rhyme... see?! It's not so hard"

When he first appears in ADWD Reek is essentially living in a dungeon is he not? He had already been sufficiently tortured (this season) but I'm assuming Roose told Ramsay to go and do something more productive with his time (Get a job, Ramsay!) so they just tossed him away, however I think Roose is gone again when Ramsay decides to let Reek out again and we get more cruelty until Roose returns and talks to Theon.

We have about a year until that even happens to a Ramsay/Ironborn feud could be a little subplot if they hold off on the Kingsmoot for a bit - Yara could be left out of the Kingsmoot if they are not casting Damphair but I think that would be a mistake to introduce 2 fairly big characters (Victarion/Euron) without a familiar character there to tie them together.

My guess is that Balon's death will bring Yara back home, but I really hope that if they continue with Ramsay/Reek (however minor it is) they show more of an owner/dog relationship but a less brutal one - something about Theon being treated like dirt (sleeping in the kennel etc.) is so much more heartbreaking than glamorized TV torture - the torture was necessary this season but moving forward I don't think it is.

With the lack of inner monologue, there's no way to portray exactly what happened to Theon without showing it. In the books, the scenes themselves weren't necessary because GRRM could spend half Theon's chapters with him remembering what happened. You can't do that in a show like this, so inventing a plot to portray it was very welcomed.

Not denying it would be tricky, but, with some fine acting by Alfie Allen (for which he seemed capable last season), maybe it was doable. It wouldn't be unheard of in TV/cinema. But, it's true that it would've been a bitch and a half. However, the difficulty of the alternative doesn't improve my impression on what they've done. I wouldn't say they ruined anything with this storyline, but, according to the reactions I've seen - and my personal reaction - this storyline won't be missed at all.

There was just way too much of the torture stuff this season. It left a bad taste by the time the Reek reveal came about. However, this scene was great. The guy playing Ramsay is spot on. My nitpick is that Theon still had enough mental fortitude to call himself Theon Grejoy, and then suddenly he's okay with Reek. It seemed too sudden. Book-wise, even though GRRM never showed us directly any of the actual torture, we got the picture that it was a long decline into Reek-ness.

We got the picture that it was a long decline in this case also. Surely you didn't need MORE torture scenes this season, after just saying there was too much? Theon is Reek-ified by the time of the RW in the books...and this is just the initial Reekification. He is trustworthy enough in his Reekdom to be sent to Moat Calain to clear the way for Roose in the book...and it's not that far from the Twins to Moat.

In terms of sudden, isn't every change sudden? You're not turning, until you are. You're alive, until you're not. He doesn't accept the name Reek...until he does. The scene in which he makes the change is obviously the one to "show" viewers. I also wonder how many people who have NOT been tortured for months would be willing to say "Reek" to avoid another cheap shot in the face. A lot, I suspect.

Not denying it would be tricky, but, with some fine acting by Alfie Allen (for which he seemed capable last season), maybe it was doable. It wouldn't be unheard of in TV/cinema. But, it's true that it would've been a bitch and a half. However, the difficulty of the alternative doesn't improve my impression on what they've done. I wouldn't say they ruined anything with this storyline, but, according to the reactions I've seen - and my personal reaction - this storyline won't be missed at all.

To each their own. Theon/Reek is one of my favorite arcs from the books. I'm very happy they included the scenes that they did and I'm hoping they continue showing his arc in the seasons to come.

the Ramsay actor does a great job overall, but the scenes with him were too funny in my opinion.

For me, part of the fascination around the Theon-Ramsay arc comes from hating theon for being probably the

most despicable, arrogant and self-centered Prick and he is tricked and put down by someone on a much

higher level of cruelty, lacking all empathy( but I still don't sympathise with Theon^^)

The show Ramsay is awesome, but very different from how I would've imagined; more stern and with an

unimaglebly cruel look to him (casting a character like this would be hard, though :D)

I loved Ramsay's letter to Balon. You could tell Balon was scared. That may be the only time I love Ramsay. I personally approve ot his treatment of Theon, it makes me feel good. Ramsay though, must go. House Bolton must die.

Archived