[Book Spoilers] Arya's future

Broken Fox

Anyone else think it would be great if Arya met up with Jaqen when she makes it to Braavos and gets her teachings from him instead of the old man? They're keeping his spirit alive what with the mention of him last episode, and her "Valar Morghulis" line along with his theme song when she killed the Frey.

I think it'd be great if he showed up again. The actor nailed the role.

Anyone else think it would be great if Arya met up with Jaqen when she makes it to Braavos and gets her teachings from him instead of the old man? They're keeping his spirit alive what with the mention of him last episode, and her "Valar Morghulis" line along with his theme song when she killed the Frey.

That's my guess that Jaqen will be the Kindly Man, Tom Wlaschiha was spot on perfect last year, I hope he available.

Some other FM can take care of Pate or just eliminate Pate.

That's my guess that Jaqen will be the Kindly Man, Tom Wlaschiha was spot on perfect last year, I hope he available.

But Tom Wlashchiha as Jaqen changed his face to someone else, an actor named Patrick O'Kane (who has some stage experience, it's possible we will see him as the new Faceless Man, even if he isn't as dead sexy as Wlaschiha was, they picked someone with acting experience rather than just a random extra, which leads me to believe Patrick O'Kane will be back, possibly he will kill Balon early in Season 4)

But Tom Wlashchiha as Jaqen changed his face to someone else, an actor named Patrick O'Kane (who has some stage experience, it's possible we will see him as the new Faceless Man, even if he isn't as dead sexy as Wlaschiha was, they picked someone with acting experience rather than just a random extra, which leads me to believe Patrick O'Kane will be back, possibly he will kill Balon early in Season 4)

He can change his face back to Jaqen. I don't think this is a problem.

He can change his face back to Jaqen. I don't think this is a problem.

Ya, it seems like magic to the uninitiated, but really it's a quickie plastic surgery. The mechanics of changing your face in the show need not be the same as the books. We'll see how it plays out! I would love to see Tom Wlaschiha back, but I won't rule out the possibility that Patrick O'Kane could have a new and interesting take on the role.

The more I think about it the more I think Jaqen returning is a possibility. I could easily see Arya running into Jaqen in Westeros and training with him there, and the whole Braavos side of the story being cut. Same end result.

I am not sure how much of Arya-Hound's travelogue they will keep , interesting on the page but most of her travels with Gendry and Hot Pie were striped out in season 3, so I don't think it will take them long to reach the Inn have the fight.

Arya kill Polliver and retrieve Needle. I just have this feeling that they will want to have a Long Goodby between Rory McCann and Maisie Williams. Then the Hound's ambiguous demise. Rory has been a surprise ... I keep wondering if they keep him about , tho starting another arc, whew! I notice McCann , over on IMDB does not have anything scheduled outside of GOT.

I figure Arya to be on the boat to Braavos by episode 5 at the latest.

Tom Wlaschiha has been very busy since season 2, but was go good it's hard to imagine him not being back.

I remember before season 2 , when he was cast, as saying something about being Arya's teacher, a mysterious comment.

I doubt it. What about that whole thing with Pate and the Alchemist in AFfC? I'm sure that's gonna be important somewhere down the line.

If they wanted to have Jaqen back in Arya's story, they could easily just have another Faceless Man at the Citadel, if/when the show goes there (the prologue with Pate is pretty obviously not going to be filmed).

Dear god I hope not. Part of the point of Arya's journey is that people keep leaving her. Jon left, Ned left, Syrio, Jaqen...even the Hound. To have him come back because the actor was well cast undermines the story. Maybe at some point they do meet up again, but to have him do the training would lessen her, well, lessons.

I agree about Tom Wlaschiha (that he was perfect), but somebody suggested John Hurt for the Kindly Man and now I can't get that out of my head. Bottom line, the Kindly Man should be older than Jaqen.

I think it's likely they cut Oldtown completely. Maybe they'll change the rules on Maesters for the show, and just say a Maester can make a Maester (like a knight can make a knight).

Dear god I hope not. Part of the point of Arya's journey is that people keep leaving her. Jon left, Ned left, Syrio, Jaqen...even the Hound. To have him come back because the actor was well cast undermines the story. Maybe at some point they do meet up again, but to have him do the training would lessen her, well, lessons.

Why?

I don't see why people can't come back.

We still don't know for sure about Syrio ...

She wanted to get away from Sandor.

Her father's (and mother's and brother's) deaths were trauma not just 'leave taking'!

Beside's it is Jaqen on the show who says "if you want to find me someday".... of course that could be metaphorical.

Tho this season, unlike in the books, Arya has mentioned Jaqen , not by name, to Sandor, that was curious.

I don't know if Tom Wlaschiha will or can come back, but for viewers it sure solves a casting problem ... which is what I think D and D did with Gendry and the Talisa thing (no Westerling arc to follow, woonder if GRRM was going to follow it!).....

We will just have to see...

One thing Arya's adventures in Braavos are less abstract than Dany's in Qarth, but still need careful attention or some people are going to be complaining again.

Arya's stay in Braavos is quite an elaboration in the books ... and she's still there at the end of ADwD.

I don't know if Tom Wlaschiha will or can come back, but for viewers it sure solves a casting problem ... which is what I think D and D did with Gendry and the Talisa thing (no Westerling arc to follow, woonder if GRRM was going to follow it!).....

We will just have to see...

One thing Arya's adventures in Braavos are less abstract than Dany's in Qarth, but still need careful attention or some people are going to be complaining again.

I wouldn't complain about Wlaschiha coming back, and I think you're correct in hitting on the danger of another completely separated narrative.

I think we could see Sam get stuck in Braavos and never make it to Oldtown. Show Tyrion has mentioned the Iron Bank, so we know that's going to be a factor, maybe Sam negotiates with them instead of Jon.

Not that Sam & Arya connect in any meaningful way, but at least then it would become Braavos: A place where more than one thing is happening.

Does the book ever say if the faces are "reusable" or not? Could the same actor show up, but perhaps with the "face" being worn by a different person? Heck, it's magic(ish) - why not?

Arya's future over the next few seasons faces the same problem as Bran's: not that much happens, and it's increasingly disconnected. It's hard for us as readers to know what's going on with her future - at least with characters like Victarion or Tyrion, we know what they're TRYING to do, but I'm pretty much clueless on where Arya is heading after Braavos. I'd guess she's going to spend approximately one season in Braavos: if they can speed her up to wherever she's going, then maybe D&D will make that run from mid-season 4 to mid-season 5. But if her future has to wait on Dany and the others - on whatever starts her (presumed) post-Braavos travels - then she'll more likely head for Braavos late in season 4, and spend almost all of season 5 there.

But then again, the show sometimes surprises me with just how slow it is with the different storylines. I've been rewatching Season 2, and it's kind of absurd just how little happened to Sam between the beginning of that season and the end of Season 3: basically two whole seasons to walk a bit, get scared by Walkers, walk back, get Gilly out, defeat Puddles, walk under the wall, and get to Castle Black. That's, what, 30-40 minutes of TV? Because there are so many different stories, the "slow" pace does usually work, so while part of me thinks "Crap, ANOTHER season of Arya wandering around?!", the show can probably pull it off. It's just when you sit back and look that you realize that, in many of the individual plots, not much has actually happened.

But then again, the show sometimes surprises me with just how slow it is with the different storylines. I've been rewatching Season 2, and it's kind of absurd just how little happened to Sam between the beginning of that season and the end of Season 3: basically two whole seasons to walk a bit, get scared by Walkers, walk back, get Gilly out, defeat Puddles, walk under the wall, and get to Castle Black. That's, what, 30-40 minutes of TV? Because there are so many different stories, the "slow" pace does usually work, so while part of me thinks "Crap, ANOTHER season of Arya wandering around?!", the show can probably pull it off. It's just when you sit back and look that you realize that, in many of the individual plots, not much has actually happened.

Boy! Is that right, Sam should have been fighting 12 foot Whitewalkers (not these 7 footers) every episode, and Gilly could have taken care of 20 Wights , she can build a fire , you know. Where are the random explosions and car chases (opps, I mean Elk chases) and more random explosions.

Give that good old slack jawed slick brained comic book mile a second action so I can eat my popcorn.

To hell with narrative, dialog and character development!

Archived