[Book Spoilers] Positive Nitpicking

Tyrion4President

The small council scene was wonderful for the Tywin and Joffrey dynamic alone, but when you toss Varys in just to simply react in the background it gets even better. Conleth Hill and his funny faces are gold and I think I could literally watch a full episode of him reacting to things just off camera.

That's exactly what i think GRRM is building towards to. Arya making a huge kill, necessary to save friggin Westeros, but with it, destroying her last link with her past. The last thing that makes her Arya. In short, i think she's gonna kill Jon who's becoming a threat as big as the white walkers. It's gonna be a tearjerker for shure when she sticks him with the pointy end, shaking of her last strands of humanity with it.

OT. How great is Hodor. It's simple role and it's to make him a sort of comic relief, but i love that they don't overdo it. Also, someone mentioning on this board how awesome it was that M Aemon ordered to send out all ravens, completely believing Sam without question. Totally agree on that.

How is Jon becoming a big threat like the WW, are we reading the same books? lol...

How is Jon becoming a big threat like the WW, are we reading the same books? lol...

Don't know if this is really the place for discussing it but in short (and don't read if you haven't read all the books...)

I think we can all agree that Jon is a targaryen right? So that could mean he ends up on ridin' on of the dragons. I see the the dragons as a different side of the same coin as the White walkers. Instead of snow and cold and death dragons utilize fire and heat and death as their weapons. If that doesn't convince you, Jon, being targaryan, has a gooed chance becoming 'mad' like so many before him. And on top of that, i think he's dead or dying at the end of ADWD but i'm guessing he get's saved/revived by melisandre. We've know of one case more in which a servant of R'hlor has healed/revived someone and i don't believe they are a force of good. Even though Beric did have good intentions, being a living dead can never be a good thing. I'm guessing something along those events will happen to Jon and it may take a while before people notice he probably shouldn't wield that much power (e.g. ride a dragon) But by then he will be hard to kill. Enter Arya, who can get close to him. Valar morghulis, and leave me crying like a baby because of her fate. The end.

Ah, isn't it great to get carried away thinking about what can and will happen? :)

And now I want to talk a bit about Jon. While his relationship with Ygritte has been slow, especially in relation to some of the other stories, I think there's a very good comparison to Robb and Talisa that should be made. Robb chose love over duty, and Jon chose duty over love. They both took three arrows (bolts) for their decision, but one is still alive and the other isn't. Aemon put it best when he said that "Love is the death of duty."

A Westerosi wedding without at least three crossbow bolts is seen as a dull affair.

Like how Jon really thinks Ygritte isn't going to shoot, turns to his horse than whack! Arrow in the back. Then she puts two more into him as he's riding off. That's the Ygritte from the books. Likewise I'm glad they started Arya racking up her kill list; her switching on the cute child act, then bloodily stabbing the Frey to death is that mix of cold-blooded forethought and bloody vengeance that creeps me out about the girl. I wouldn't want to meet her in a dark alley in Braavos either.

I too felt the Tyrion/Sansa scene was wrong...until the scene where Sansa got the news of the RW and Tyrion couldn't think of any words to comfort her - that really shows why their relationship will be doomed in Season 4.

Also Roose Bolton walking up to the battlements at the Twins to see the camp on fire.

• 2 weeks later...

I too felt the Tyrion/Sansa scene was wrong...until the scene where Sansa got the news of the RW and Tyrion couldn't think of any words to comfort her - that really shows why their relationship will be doomed in Season 4.

The great thing about that scene was that Tyrion thought he was going to be the one to tell her about the Red Wedding. He'd probably run over the words in his head about how he was going to break the news. There's no "soft" way to get news like "my father just had your brother and mother brutally murdered..."

When she turns around to him with tears in her eyes, he knows it's too late. She knows exactly what just happened. And for once in his life, he doesn't know what to say. So he just ...leaves.

Scenes like that are how you win Emmys.

• 1 month later...

I think Stannis is being performed very well. The difficulty with the character is until he gets into a battle situation he's relatively dull - compared with a character like Tywin or Joffrey. He's more of a slowburn character like Jon. The final scene with Stannis in S3 making a deadpan joke was So Right. I'm expecting good things of Dragonstone

I don't approve of what Tywin's men did to the Targaryen babes and his plot to murder the Starks on the dining table, but Charles Dance is such an amazing actor he made me like Tywin., the real king of the IT (not Joffrey).

I'd happily listen to Charles Dance read the phone book for hours.

• 4 months later...

Archived