[Book/Show Spoilers] What will Stannis do next season?

Ser Luke.

All right, so I'm pretty damn confused right now. I had predicted before I watched this episode Davos would smuggle out Gendry, and that's where his story would end.

But then Davos ALREADY tells Stannis about the letter to the Night's Watch. What the hell is Stannis going to be doing next season, waiting until episode 8/9 to show up at the wall?

I felt as a whole Season 3 was fantastic, but this last scene with Stannis potentially ruined a lot of his future storyline.

Any thoughts?

Given the negative bias that the writers have towards Stannis, I would expect his actions to be limited to military operations and would perhaps lean towards a portrayal of a tyrannical and authoritarian ruler in the relationships with the Night's Watch and and the Northern Lords. Although the intervention in the Battle of Castle Black is perhaps the strongest candidate for episode 9, i would expect some brief naval preparation clips throughout the season or, if the people behind it are willing (very unlikely), some redemption fotage to better explain the character.

All in all, after what I saw this season, I would expect more bad character development and making Stannis look bad.

I'm stumped here too. It's illogical, from a production standpoint, to keep Stannis absent for most of the season. And yet at the same time, like you said, what could they possibly have him do up to Episode 9? Showing his journey to the wall will not cut it, at least not for more than one episode. There has to be more happening with him.

Perhaps, since both his and Yara's parties are heading in the direction of the North, he'll capture Yara earlier than in the books.

he'll go to the wall, fight with the watch and then head out to winterfell. he will be more definitive and in charge and will be much more of a badass. he was in a major funk after blackwater in the books as well so i'm not sure why people are losing it so much. he really picks up when he's in the north.

Really ?

All right, so I'm pretty damn confused right now. I had predicted before I watched this episode Davos would smuggle out Gendry, and that's where his story would end.

But then Davos ALREADY tells Stannis about the letter to the Night's Watch. What the hell is Stannis going to be doing next season, waiting until episode 8/9 to show up at the wall?

I felt as a whole Season 3 was fantastic, but this last scene with Stannis potentially ruined a lot of his future storyline.

Any thoughts?

Really? you thought season 3 was fantastic?? aside for a handful of scenes I thought it was one big bore....the finale was an outright snooze fest ...as for Stannis....the writters will probably turn him into a prancing transvestite and give him Briennes pink dress to wear....thats how far they will go to butcher his character...."the boy must die" it was totally opposite from what he actually does.....

Episode 1 - 2 : Gathering his army. Diplomatic moves with some Lords.

Episode 3 : Sailing away from Dragonstone : epic moment.

Episode 5 / 6 : Arrives at the Wall smashing down the Wildlings.

Episode 7 - 9 : Lord Commander election, meetings with Jon / Mance.

Episode 10 : Jon refusing his offer as he becomes Lord C

Probably spend a few episodes packing for his journey whilst Davos suggests he pack warm for snow Melisandre will insist winter hasn't come yet etc.. by episode 5 they'll come to a resolution and head out.

In reality though Arkash's layout looks good to me - that would be a nice break from the usual mid-season slow episodes if they have the budget for it (at least on a large scale - probably won't be a Blackwater'esque battle but it should be big) God come to think of it next season has the potential to be epic considering how little we really got from Dragonstone this season (4-5 episodes of subplot obviously b/c there just isn't a ton going on there at this point in the story outside of Edric/Gendry and regrouping)

At the rate they are going with burying Stannis's character, I expect him to have the following scenes:

1. Fawning all over Mel wanting sex, and then crying and threatening suicide if she doesn't give him some.

2. Dinner with his wife, eating the contents of one of those fetus jars while he bitches about not having an heir to burn for Mel.

3. Acting like a dick to Davos and having Davos swoon all over him anyway like he just got his pek sucked.

That should about cover it for the first episode, I will have to give some thought for what bullshit they will pour on him for the other 9 episodes.

I think he will be at the Wall somewhere in the middle of the season, let's say episode 4. or 5.

Until then, he will waste some air -time doing confusing things, as he did in this season.

I presume that the "big" moment of the season (concerning the Night's watch line of story), wouldn't be the battle of the Wall - but, Jon Snow becoming a Lord Commander.

Related to "character - assassination" : I agree, they didn't portray Stannis as they probably should. I didn't get that "hard, cold but righteous man" vibe, but..."confused, cold, ambitious, and fell in love with Mel" vibe. Than again, they did the worse to other characters - Jon Snow, Catlyn...Daenerys as well (if you ask me).

Don't forget the smuggler! They will probably show how Stannis sends Davos to White Harbour. We need some way to introduce the Lord-too-fat-to-sit-a-horse and show how The North Remembers. I also agree that he will capture Yara earlier than in the books, however, that raises the question: what is Yara going to do until season 7? If she gets captured on her way to the Dreadfort, she will not be able to go to the Kingsmoot. Maybe they'll show some escaping attempts, but that will get old fast.

My guess : They will just substitute Deepwood Motte with Dreadfort. So, I expect that Asha will take Dreadfort - because Boltons will be at Winterfell at the time - just to be taken as a captive by Stannis. But I'm not sure that will be in the season 4, season 5 seems likely.

I was disappointed they didn't make it ambiguous over whether Stannis would hear Davos out. I didn't think much of Stannis in A Clash of Kings and most of A Storm of Swords. So when I realized it was Stannis of all people that came to the aid of the Night's Watch, I started to see him in a different light. I never expected him to show up and I bet 99.9% of readers did as well.

I'm stumped here too. It's illogical, from a production standpoint, to keep Stannis absent for most of the season. And yet at the same time, like you said, what could they possibly have him do up to Episode 9? Showing his journey to the wall will not cut it, at least not for more than one episode. There has to be more happening with him.

Perhaps, since both his and Yara's parties are heading in the direction of the North, he'll capture Yara earlier than in the books.

oh man I just realized that if Asha does leave the iron islands, we might not have the kingsmoot at all, and maybe have the greyjoy brothers cut entirely...

just... why god, why

well my guess is they will not make stannis arrival at the wall as big a surprise as it was in the books

I don't think they will cut the Kingsmoot. They will just cut Asha from the Kingsmoot.

I have a feeling they will in fact cut the Kingsmoot entirely. It's all part of the 'negative population growth' D&D have been talking about. Balon gets whacked, then Euron comes and seizes the Seastone Chair (either off-screen or on-screen - I'm leaning more towards the former)

Archived