[Book/Show Spoilers] What will Stannis do next season?

Ser Luke.

First off I've not enjoyed how Stannis has been written all season. Episode 10 was just the worst, "I've made my decision." :rolleyes:

On the other hand I myself didn't warm to his character until the second half of ASOS, so maybe there is hope. My hope for his character next season goes something like this.

Episode 1 - Stannis, Davos, and Mel are reintroduced. And Stannis' family accompanies them to the boats.

Episode 2 - They leave Dragonston and Stannis manages to thanks Davos for his loyal service while on the boat.

Episode 3 - Nothing

Episode 4 - A scene with the Baratheon family and Closing in on the North and making plans for his arrival.

Episode 5 - Nothing

Episode 6 - Nothing

Episode 7 - Battle for the Wall

Episode 8 - Stannis takes up residence and pushes for a new LC. He sends Davos away to White Harbor(I know this comes earlier but this will give Davos more screen time.)

Episode 9 - Stannis offers Jon to Rise as Jon Stark Lord of Winterfell. This could also be the final scene in episode 10.

Episode 10 - One more major cliff hanger/event to set up ADWD/TWOW plot.

I hope we get these two lines.

"Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne. "

“Who better to command the black cloaks than a man who once commanded the gold cloaks, sire?”

“Any of you, I would think. Even the cook.”

I strongly dislike how they got rid of him agreeing with Davos in regards to two is not three.

He only fully believed Melisandre in the books after all three Kings had being killed.

I understand why they couldn't kill Joffrey this season but I'm disapointed that Balon survived.

It's quite apparent that they've deviated from the plot to build up Yara's character and Stannis is suffering from it.

Important news.

I have traced back the moment where Stannis character assassination began.

It is in the season 1 episode where Robert dies. Renly talks to Ned. Ned says that Stannis must be King next. Renly says the following

"Saving the seven kingdoms from Cersei by delivering them to Stannis? You have odd notions about protecting the realm"

NO SUCH EXCHANGE TAKES PLACE IN THE BOOKS.

Yes, Renly thinks highly of himself and not much of his brother, but still, I doubt he would have said this about him. Also in the books, Ned and Stannis both know each other perfectly well.

If you consider the fact that they were setting up the butchery of Stannis' character from the get go, this line, which is not from the books, makes perfect sense.

During my reread of Clash of Kings I realized that Renly is heavily whitewashed in the show.

1. The part where he is willing to kill his brother in battle is omitted.

2. A scene where Renly takes Catelyn to a watch tower and shows her his army and brags that it is his 'claim' does not appear, we can't have the good guy showing some naked ambition via military power.

3. Renly doesn't come to any kind of understanding with Catelyn in the books. Understandably so, Catelyn doesn't have anything to offer him ( fight the lannisters? He is doing that already. As Tywin would put it ), and someone claiming the Iron throne wouldn't let a vast area cecede just like that.

4. It is implied in season 1 and a deleted scene that Loras was the one who put up Renly to his kingly ambitions. Of course, Renly was goody two shoes and would never have done that otherwise.

5. None of the other characters comments ( eg. Jamie's 'the best dressed king perhaps' ) about Renly made it to the show. If they talk about Renly at all, it's all about how he was gay.

Where is all this whitewashing leading to? Obviously Stannis! He's the BAD GUY!

See the 'inside the episode' of Season 2 ep.4 where Weiss calls Stannis a terrible king, and you'll see how clearly it's laid out.

It has been said a couple of times before but the producers weren't expressing their own "opinions" of the character, but rather the opinions of the realm. They obviously couldn't use their book 5 knowledge (and possibly the extra stuff they know from what GRRM told them). To that point Stan was established as an unyielding commander, whose sense of justice is completely black and white. I think it's completely natural that they stopped there. They did talk about him again, tho. In this season's ep8 commentary, on the other hand, they considered Stannis a smart man, who recognizes Melisandre has her own agenda. I think that's not that bad. Less so a sign of their hate for the character.

During my reread of Clash of Kings I realized that Renly is heavily whitewashed in the show.

1. The part where he is willing to kill his brother in battle is omitted.

2. A scene where Renly takes Catelyn to a watch tower and shows her his army and brags that it is his 'claim' does not appear, we can't have the good guy showing some naked ambition via military power.

3. Renly doesn't come to any kind of understanding with Catelyn in the books. Understandably so, Catelyn doesn't have anything to offer him ( fight the lannisters? He is doing that already. As Tywin would put it ), and someone claiming the Iron throne wouldn't let a vast area cecede just like that.

4. It is implied in season 1 and a deleted scene that Loras was the one who put up Renly to his kingly ambitions. Of course, Renly was goody two shoes and would never have done that otherwise.

5. None of the other characters comments ( eg. Jamie's 'the best dressed king perhaps' ) about Renly made it to the show. If they talk about Renly at all, it's all about how he was gay.

Where is all this whitewashing leading to? Obviously Stannis! He's the BAD GUY!

See the 'inside the episode' of Season 2 ep.4 where Weiss calls Stannis a terrible king, and you'll see how clearly it's laid out.

He had also mocked Shireen in the books, that I will never forgive, Renly was an arrogant douche bag. And Stannis loved him after all, loved him for the boy he was, not the man he became. He also starved the whole population of the King's Landing. I've watched season 2 before I started reading the books, after watching the show I had liked the idea of Renly being king and supported Stannis only because he was opposed to the Lannisters, but I was reluctant of him for murdering Renly. After reading aCoK I hated Renly so much and Stannis became a lot more realistic as a character, and Renly's death was really satisfying.

... build up Renly's character and Stannis is suffering from it

... build up Davos's character and Stannis is suffering from it

... build up Melisandre's character and Stannis is suffering from it

Next Season(s)

... build up Jon's character and Stannis is suffering from it

... build up Mance's character and Stannis is suffering from it

Unfortunately, I think this will be the case, next year, they will be casting a few more wildlings. This means that they will finally start developing wildings (wich they omitted this year for more KL and Tyrion and shit) and I'm pretty sure they will dramatise it so much in favour of the wildlings that viewers will cry for Mance like they did for Ned when Stannis will execute him.

First off I've not enjoyed how Stannis has been written all season. Episode 10 was just the worst, "I've made my decision." :rolleyes:

On the other hand I myself didn't warm to his character until the second half of ASOS, so maybe there is hope. My hope for his character next season goes something like this.

Episode 1 - Stannis, Davos, and Mel are reintroduced. And Stannis' family accompanies them to the boats.

Episode 2 - They leave Dragonston and Stannis manages to thanks Davos for his loyal service while on the boat.

Episode 3 - Nothing

Episode 4 - A scene with the Baratheon family and Closing in on the North and making plans for his arrival.

Episode 5 - Nothing

Episode 6 - Nothing

Episode 7 - Battle for the Wall

Episode 8 - Stannis takes up residence and pushes for a new LC. He sends Davos away to White Harbor(I know this comes earlier but this will give Davos more screen time.)

Episode 9 - Stannis offers Jon to Rise as Jon Stark Lord of Winterfell. This could also be the final scene in episode 10.

Episode 10 - One more major cliff hanger/event to set up ADWD/TWOW plot.

I hope we get these two lines.

"Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne. "

“Who better to command the black cloaks than a man who once commanded the gold cloaks, sire?”

“Any of you, I would think. Even the cook.”

Very good outline

My predictions for Stannis in the next season are as follows, and forgive the mild tone of tongue-in-cheek.

1. Stannis will grow a fetching Fu Manchu moustache under the illusion that some facial hair will make him charismatic like Renly and Robert.

2. He will decide to try and execute Jon Snow for 'breaking his vows' but Melisandre will talk him out of it.

3. He will decide to help the Night's Watch against the White Walkers only because he's convinced one of them has designs on being King in the North.

4. He will execute any Night's Watch members who insist that their vows preclude them from supporting him as King.

5. He will emotionally blackmail Jon after his rescue, which was actually by Melisandre, by attempting to take his position when he gets made LC.

6. And I think that that about covers it, except that he'll like to fiddle with the waxed points of his new moustache.

:P

I must admit, I watched the scenes from episode 10 again, and my initial reaction to how badly they portrayed Stannis was an over-reaction. That being said, I only can say that because I am looking for Stannis to be subtle, very ironicly mocking and bitter. Without book knowledge I would definitely be waiting for Melisandre to actually begin the whipping and for the moustache growing to begin. Which is a different impression than I had of Stannis at this point in the books, so I still have a problem with D&D 'blackwashing' the character.

Also Robb was a boy, Stannis is a real man

My issue is more along the lines Stannis has a right to the Iron throne and Robb created a completely new one.

Robb didn't want his crown, he just wanted the King in the North's lands backs.

If Stannis would've come up with the same plan for Robb on the show that he had for Jon in the book, both Kings could've ruled at the same time.

Okay, here are some posts from non book readers from twop forums

I'm afraid I don't read forums I don't post in.

Life is too short and the internet way too big for it.

My thought is that they will delay Stannis getting to the Wall by involving him in the Kingsmoot somehow. He does need ships, after all. That way, the final wildling assault on the wall can be episode 9 along with Tyrion's crossbow. That's two salvations in the nick of time in one episode.

It just occurred to me that D&D maybe are going for the angle that Melisandre corrupts Stannis and makes him "evil" when he's in her presence. In every single Stannis scene we've had without Mel, he's come off as a somewhat decent guy. I'm thinking of Stannis/Davos on the ship in 2x08, Stannis/Shireen in 3x05 and Stannis/Davos in the dungeons in 3x08. It's only when he's with Mel that he's an asshole.

It just occurred to me that D&D maybe are going for the angle that Melisandre corrupts Stannis and makes him "evil" when he's in her presence. In every single Stannis scene we've had without Mel, he's come off as a somewhat decent guy. I'm thinking of Stannis/Davos on the ship in 2x08, Stannis/Shireen in 3x05 and Stannis/Davos in the dungeons in 3x08. It's only when he's Mel that he's an asshole.

Doing a slow rewatch of season 3 myself and noticed this same thing after episode 5. I wonder if this is something they're tweaking for the show, or something they're doing because of a piece of info they have about books 6 & 7.

I'm surprised more people haven't picked this up about Stannis' "assassination" or "butchery".

They wanted to make all the other kings look bad so people would go for Daenerys!

Think about it:

Robb is dead - can't root for him anymore

Joffrey wanted Robb's head sent to Sansa and acted like a complete dictator in his scene

Balon refused to rescue and prevent the flaying of his last son

And with Stannis, they made him look like the villain by wanting to burn Gendry

Then, as he final scene, they show Daenerys being lifted up by people she FREED and LIBRRATED.

I'm not saying I agree with what they've done to Stannis, but this is clearly the main reason why.

Archived