[Book Spoilers] Arya and Sandor

hajalie24

One thing I've been thinking about is how Arya leaves Sandor. Seeing their relationship on screen makes it hard to imagine Arya leaving Sandor to die. The Red Wedding also is a lot more horrible for her on the show, considering she saw Robb's body and heard the others talk about killing her mother. Unlike the book where she held on to some hope until she had the wolf dream. This is what she said right before leaving him to die.

' “You shouldn’t have hit me with an axe,” she said. “You should have saved my mother.” She turned her horse and rode away from him, and never looked back once. '

Doesn't really fit with everything going on in the show, so how do you think this scene will happen?

That is a very interesting question you've posed.

I hope they don't show her stabbing him through the eye as she threatened. The Hound seems more of a protector of Arya in the show than in the books (to me).

I think they're going to make up an arc for the Hound and Arya next season. Maybe have it to where the Freys catch onto Arya and the Hound, and they have to go on the run from the Freys. Maybe they could stop by Riverrun to visit old Uncle Blackfish. Episode 8 will be the duel when the Hound gets wounded and Arya gets Needle back from one of the Mountain's or Bolton's men. Episode 9 is when she leaves the Hound to die, and 10 is gaining her way to Braavos. Season 5 will focus on her in Braavos, and Season 6 will be her return to Westeros. I think this also makes sense since I think the major focus of Season 4 will be the Battle and Siege of Castle Black, and thus Sam won't depart until the next season for Oldtown.

I think they'll definitely extend their journey, and I'm totally cool with that. They're a great team.

With the way things have been set up I can't see Arya purposefully wanting to kill him at this point, unless he does/says something really fucked up. I can see the Hound getting fatally wounded, and telling Arya to "Go on. Get out of here."

I think they'll definitely extend their journey, and I'm totally cool with that. They're a great team.

With the way things have been set up I can't see Arya purposefully wanting to kill him at this point, unless he does/says something really fucked up. I can see the Hound getting fatally wounded, and telling Arya to "Go on. Get out of here."

I'm pretty sure it will just be the same as it is in the books, to where Arya tries to murder him, can't bring herself to do it, and then leaves him behind. The actor will be off the show for a season, and return gloriously in the final one.

I've lost a lot of interest in the show, they never seem to get into the story beneath the story (that's the part I like). When characters are apart, they seem to just forget about each other. What would make me more interested in watching next season is if they get into the motivations of the characters more.

One thing I really miss with Arya on the show is her connection to Jon Snow. And with Sandor, his connection to Sansa. But I did like their scenes together this season (I liked the humor especially, that was always there in the books, too).

I always saw Sandor as protective of Arya in the books, too, just a lot more rough about the edges. In the books, you could never take anything Sandor or Arya said literally, they are both very much read between the lines sorts of characters.

He risked his life to save Arya, just like he risked his life to save Sansa. That's pretty significant, they'd both be dead if not for him. So he does play a pretty big role in their lives. They learn from him, but he also learns from them.

Arya does a lot for him, too, she could have run away at the Inn, and instead she threw cups and a knife at his attackers, and killed the squire and the Tickler. And dressed his woulds after he passed out.

Arya and Sandor are alike in many ways but heading in different directions. It would be nice if they got into the "where the heart is" part of the gift of mercy ritual they share in the books (probably too much to ask of this show).

His heart is opening up, because of the love he feels for Sansa, I think, while Arya's heart is hardening, because she feels she has lost everyone she loved. He begs Arya for the gift of mercy, but instead, Arya gives him life, by sparing his. She just can't bring herself to do it, and the reason why is all of what has gone down between them.

I think maybe the crow had something to do with the way things turned out, too (that's really asking a lot of the show, to get into that :)):

Arya glanced over her shoulder, but there was nothing behind them but a crow flitting from tree to tree. The only sound was the river.

THIS. I don't want her to want to kill him either. They have such great chemistry. And the Hound's never had a real friend.

I'm pretty sure it will just be the same as it is in the books, to where Arya tries to murder him, can't bring herself to do it, and then leaves him behind. The actor will be off the show for a season, and return gloriously in the final one.

Is that how it happened? For some reason I remembered it differently. The books are all getting a little hazy for me.

The Hound and Arya need a spin off show

I for one don't mind having more of them/they stay together in the show longer

I wouldn't mind if they had a spin off book! I wished their story arc was a lot longer in the books and I hope it'll be so in season 4. I liked better the Hound/Arya story than the Hound/Sansa story. I'm sure he's thinking "oh I wish I had a son like this girl"

I've lost a lot of interest in the show, they never seem to get into the story beneath the story (that's the part I like). When characters are apart, they seem to just forget about each other. What would make me more interested in watching next season is if they get into the motivations of the characters more.

One thing I really miss with Arya on the show is her connection to Jon Snow. And with Sandor, his connection to Sansa. But I did like their scenes together this season (I liked the humor especially, that was always there in the books, too).

I always saw Sandor as protective of Arya in the books, too, just a lot more rough about the edges. In the books, you could never take anything Sandor or Arya said literally, they are both very much read between the lines sorts of characters.

He risked his life to save Arya, just like he risked his life to save Sansa. That's pretty significant, they'd both be dead if not for him. So he does play a pretty big role in their lives. They learn from him, but he also learns from them.

Arya does a lot for him, too, she could have run away at the Inn, and instead she threw cups and a knife at his attackers, and killed the squire and the Tickler. And dressed his woulds after he passed out.

Arya and Sandor are alike in many ways but heading in different directions. It would be nice if they got into the "where the heart is" part of the gift of mercy ritual they share in the books (probably too much to ask of this show).

His heart is opening up, because of the love he feels for Sansa, I think, while Arya's heart is hardening, because she feels she has lost everyone she loved. He begs Arya for the gift of mercy, but instead, Arya gives him life, by sparing his. She just can't bring herself to do it, and the reason why is all of what has gone down between them.

I think maybe the crow had something to do with the way things turned out, too (that's really asking a lot of the show, to get into that :)):

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, of course, but in HBO's defense there is no possible, concievable way that they can truly capture the depth and complexity of the whole saga in only 10 episodes of an hour apiece per season.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, of course, but in HBO's defense there is no possible, concievable way that they can truly capture the depth and complexity of the whole saga in only 10 episodes of an hour apiece per season.

You quoted the whole thing, but I guess you're responding to the first paragraph (the part you italicized). I don't in any way expect the depth and complexity of the whole ASOIAF saga in a television show.

What I would like to see for every scene they do choose to feature (and I've been pretty happy with their choices of scenes) is why the characters do the things they do (that's what I mean by the underlying story).

I'll give an example from a scene I liked, Davos rescuing Gendry. I think it's pretty clear who Davos is thinking of there. His son. I really liked that line: "Because it's right. And I'm a slow learner."

I thought that was beautiful. So yes, more of this sort of thing, please. That would make me want to watch more.

In the next series Arya needs to get herself to Bravos and begin her training in order that she can intersect with Sam in S5 as an aprentice assasin

This means that in her S4 Arc we need to get through

The journey towards the vale and the village, (this may be cut)

The fight at the Inn and recovery of Needle

'Death' of The Hound,

The Boat Ride

The Titan and the House of B&W

The Kindly Man and the Waif

probably ending with her making her choice to begin her training and ditching her kit, bar Needle,

We'll also need to see the beginning of her Warging abilities

Or maybe they'll just cut out Braavos and have the Hound teach her the killing ways.. :cool4:

I seriously doubt that will happen, but to be honest I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Well the Hound only knew how to kill people but with the FM she's learning/will learn far more than that. To gather intel, to act, glamor herself, languages, about poisons/potions, self control, etc. She can't learn those important things from the Hound.

His way of fighting also does not suit her.

In the books I don't see him as a teacher for her even though mentor is thrown around. We don't really see her utilizing things he told her unlike Syrio and Jaqen. They are a source of courage and inspiration for her. The Hound is in her nightmares in Braavos in comparison. He also thought he was teaching her to kill but in the books she had already killed men before she got to him.

As to the topic the Hound is downplayed on the show. He is far more cruel to her in the books but they do leave some things in on her end like her saying she will kill him one day so I imagine she can still leave him for dead, (as far as she knows).

Or maybe they'll just cut out Braavos and have the Hound teach her the killing ways.. :cool4:

I seriously doubt that will happen, but to be honest I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Nah can't see that, why would they introduce the coin at all if she wasn't going to Braavos.

I like this post Thx

Archived