Are you emo?

Paddy

Eurocon in Copenhagen is on from the 21st to 23rd September 2007. Guest of honours are Anne McCaffrey and Stephen Baxter. Originally I think we speculated on this because we hoped GRRM may return to Europe then. But he seems to have penciled in Gijon, Spain in 2008 instead. Meeting people is the principle reason for these things but it is nice to have some activities lined up to add to the event, either cultural things or a convention. So Copenhagen might be more inviting in late 2007 but as Filippa said, its too far away to really discuss now. The way things are going we could have had 2 Euro meetings in the meantime, autumn and spring. (Its also unfortunately a bit too close to Worldcon for those who want to brave Japan in 2007).

October/November might be better than December. Finances can get complicated in December with presents to be bought etc. Last week in October/first in November is fine with me. We'll have Monday the 30th Oct off.

I really don't think we need somebody on site to organise stuff. We went to Prague without people helping on-site (Most of the work for our Paris visit was done by me and Teresa).

One thing Barcelona didn't have was somebody willing to look for a place to stay. But the internet works for that. And to be honest, i'm sure we would have found a place in Barcelona eventually if we hadn't cancelled it. :)

But bringing up Barcelona is a good idea...because if we choose a place, we should be reasonably confident that we can meet up there and not realise that somewhere closer (e.g. London) might work out better a few months before hand. ;)

Edited to add: Cologne is fine for me also. And Chal, your sig contradicts that noob assertion. :P

You only say that because you haven't been to a meet where we were all in a strange city. :) We are, broadly speeking, adults so we can cope. What does a person on site actually do? I don't know Dublin, so I was of no advantage there in November.

I don't think Prague was that different from Dublin...

Edited to add: Oh...this has nothing to do with Krakow since you said we shouldn't go there in November. :)

Did you see my edit, cause I think we may be talking about 2 different things? (I wasn't really serious about Krakow months and months ago).

For example, if we end up in Krakow next year then we will be lucky enough to take advantage of your expertise. But we don't require somebody to hold our hands. Or at least, I don't...if most others think we do, then fine. ;)

What does a person on site actually do?

Hi, have we met? Yeah, I'm the one that made sure that there were beds for you all. If we haven't met then surely you know my partners in crime: Seany and Bazza. Those guys are the ones that organised the kickass party, and in some instances ferried your arses around london

fyi, Pod: your tone in that sentence was not appreciated by me; in fact your tone in the long post above was suspect. f'r instance, everyone had equal opportunity to say that they would definitely go to Barcelona and would be willing to organise it (on-site or no), so to bring it up now in (what I consider) to be a pissy tone of voice does no-one any favours at all. and further more, the only reason we'd considered changing venue was that no-one was willing to be the go-to person for Barcelona in the preceding months.

As Flip notes, the Paris meet was vastly different from the london meet. In Paris we had 12-15 people there at the absolute most; in London at one point we topped 35. a little different in scale, huh? I think with the numbers that we get for these meets now getting fairly large an on-site person is a must.

so plz to be canning the passive-agressive bullshit

N

Oops...sorry. I was thinking about Dublin where I didn't do much. (Admittedly Aoife did more since she went to the house etc).

How to explain? Hmmm...you 3 were all legends in London because you put such effort into making our stay in London so great. Ignoring Worldcons, it will be very difficult for anyone to top that. Now if somebody wants to volunteer their time and try to top it, fair deuce to them. But I don't think we need somebody to do that.

In other words, you didn't live in London to do such a great job. And that is what I was trying to say, one needs somebody to organise a trip but they don't have to live in the city to do it. Although it can make it great like London if some do.

And if that doesn't explain it...then I simply apologise for lack of brains. It wasn't supposed to offend.

Sorry for making this go a bit off-topic. :)

Edited to add: Just read Chal's edited version. Not sure what to say to that.

I wont speak for Pod, but my initial assumption was that what he meant to say what does a person on site actually do that they couldn't accomplish from elsewhere, as in booking the accomodation.

Kinda the let's nuke the site from orbit approach. :P

Personally, as I stated, I believe it makes it all much simpler when the organiser is at the place where the meet is going to happen, but maybe that's just me.

P.S. Chal, yourself Sean and Barry kicked major ass in what you guys each did for London. I simply cannot say the enough. :)

I'm not saying we need a person to live there, i don't live in Krakow, mo doesn't live in Koln, chal doesnt live in London (though Sean and Barry do).

We do need a person who'd devote a lot of their time and energy to organise things, and it's much easier if they are in a commuting distance from the place where the meet willl be.

and I seriously doubt the Dublin meet would work if it wasn't for eef. the fact you didn't organise it doesn't mean noone did, eh?

Ok, reading back perhaps there was a little kneejerk reaction in my post. It was actually the sly digs at moving the location more than anything, but I don't believe in pussy editing, so it stays (and tbh, I prolly wouldn't change it all that much)

And I wasn't fishing for more thanks or anything. But the person on-site (i.e. there before and during) *actually* does quite a bit.

N

a very modest proposal

while on my most recent Euro-travels, I took a few days in a city known for its culture, friendliness and tolerance. I enjoyed museums, walking tours of centuries of fine architecture, flowers in abundance, buskers from around the world, shopping and chocolate desserts.

Found a great hostel/hotel, which offered dorm beds, private rooms, even apartments complete with small kitchenettes at very reasonable rates, especially during shoulder and off seasons. The staff was very friendly, the building in excellent condition, security present and pleasant, and all just a few steps from the best coffehouses in all of Europe.

So, might I suggest the EuroBros consider using this fine establishment as the meeting place for a fall or winter event?

http://www.bulldoghotel.com/htmlen/index.htm

I just might join you, this time with advance warning.

For what it is worth, I think that finding something to centre the meet on is the way to go. It provides a little bit of focus to the meet. Some event as the point for going is handy as everyone knows that no matter what else goes on we will all be in one spot at one time and can plan accordingly.

I don't think that we need someone on site but we do need people who are willing to step and say that I am doing the shit and you all have to go through me. I might add that Chal does this stuff for a living and it would be reasonable to expect her to organise every meet as she seems to enjoy strapping her bitch on so much but perhaps self-preservation will intervene.

A meet on the continent would be cool and would be smaller than any meet in the UK. We have quite a few boarders who would drop in on a UK meet to swell the numbers but if we all plan to go away then people will not be able to make it for various reasons. I have no preference really. Big meet was a great laugh, small meets are invariably cool.

Why don't we have a look around and see if any cool shit is happening around end of October/beginning of November time and keep Koln and Dublin in mind?

PS. There are tentative plans for a skiing meet in the New Year and then Krakow in spring? We will soon have a bidding process for host cities if this carries on.

Great points Barry. And interesting idea Parris.

Just to explain...I didn't bring up Barcelona originally. All I meant by commenting on it was that I don't think we thought it through when we originally picked Barcelona. London was undoubtedly the right choice since few people could make Barcelona in the end. Its just less confusing if we choose the right city first...which was meant to be a joke when I said it originally. Because if we end up changing our minds again, its no big deal really.

Filippa, I don't want to offend Aoife but Dublin wasn't on the same scale as London. We didn't organise a massive party or anything. We don't need one every trip. Aoife will probably remind me now of all the great stuff she did do and then i'll feel silly again. :) Knowing about the place was excellent though.

the Bulldog hostel can also offer group bookings, there's a contact address on the site. There's a basic breakfast offered, which will keep you going until time for Second Breakfast. We really enjoyed our time there. In the afternoon we'd spend an hour or two in the bar, having a fresh crisp summer beer and chips, watching folks playing pool and checking out the news on the internet machines. A very fine and friendly place.

Come on, you know we'd have a good time, and the rates in the off season, especially in the 4 person rooms and apartments with kitchenettes are pretty damn cheap.

Plus, Rembrandts and Van Goghs are just a tram ride away. I bet you could even convince a certain English artist to be your defacto 'GoH'.

Archived