Are you emo?

Paddy

Are you feeling emo?

Do you often ask yourself, "WWRTD?"

Do you find you introduce yourself to people as being "from the internet"?

If the answer to any of these questions is yes, then maybe the Eurocommie chapter of BwB can help.

OK, so ever since London, I, and I'm sure several other of you, have thought that it would be cool to have another meet sooner rather than later. Now, I can only suggest a meeting if I'm going to be doing the organising. I cant very well and go tell one of the rest of you to go organise a meet, but we had a meet here in Dublin in November and I thought it would be rather selfish to make the next one in Dublin too.

However, this evening, Filippa told me that I should go ahead and suggest exactly that.

So here I am.

Basically, the idea is the same as in November: Rent the house in Temple Bar for the weekend and shove a load of people into it, get drunk and be merry and with an extremely like probability of watching the world cup.

This thread is basically a testing of the waters.

How many of you would be interested in showing up?

If I get enough takers, I can go ahead and book the house as before and we'll divide the cost up.

Talking to Chal this evening, she said that the only time she can really make it is the last weekend of June, so that would be the weekend of Friday 30th June, so that's the basic idea for timing at the moment. That date is not set in stone however, in case enough people cant make it then, but can make it another weekend in the coming months.

Those of you who are interested, please also specify what days you'd be interested in being there. I'm certain that if we do this, the core will be Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights, but maybe enough of you will want to come on Thursday evening to make it worthwhile booking it for that night too. I dont know, but we shall see.

I haven't contacted the house people yet, this has all just come up tonight, but I will do it tomorrow and see when they have the house free for.

So come on, you know you want to.

Wish I could make it, especially as I missed London - I think that makes me emo squared or something :unsure: I will just have to content myself with crying over all the post gathering posts :cry:

As i said in LJ Paddy, I'm sadly busy between 24 June - 2 July. And also I really couldn't afford it with LA not long after that - the booze, the food, the flight, the accomodation - it all adds up.

I'd say 10% likely on the off-chance that i find some money somewhere.

I just commited myself to taking care of a certaing dragon/cat/you name it that weekend, so no. I am still hoping to go to Slovakia in July so...and the con after that so...not much chance this summer.

Cool,

Like I said, this was just a put it out there kind of thing and it would be a bit presumptious of me to suggest somewhere other than dublin, as far as planning goes.

Later on in the year would be great and if we prefer to do it somewhere else, that's cool.

As long as we are thinking about it :)

The end of June is a bit close at the moment with regards to planning and the cost of flights.

So discuss suggestions away!

End of october or in November is best for Zak, and is far enough away to make planning easier for everyone.

What do you think?

Love the avatar, by the way, ice

Spontaneous idea: Don't know if November 1st is a holiday in other countries too, otherwise I'd have the weird idea to suggest doing something for Samhain/Halloween.

EDIT: ... which is a wednesday, as I might have bothered checking before. Okay, maybe forget the idea.

York might be an idea?

Pros - Cool Place

Probably good accomodation options?

Stuff to do

Cons

How to get there?

No-one there to help organise

Possibly Sweden or Copenhagen?

Krakow?

Berlin?

see, I kinda like an idea of a yearly Dublin meet. And that house was great.

:lol: Sure. It doesn't make sense for me to argue with that. So if people are fine, ok-dokey.

The advantage with flying somewhere in October/November is that it should be cheaper than flying in the summer (ignoring the Halloween bank holiday weekend). We get the last Monday in October off. Its a good weekend to do something, but airfares will be more expensive because of that. Actually, Ryanair have opened a bucket load of new flights here since last year, so it should be even easier to get here with either them or Aer Lingus.

I think Eurocon 2007 is in Copenhagen actually. That might be an idea for next year.

That works fine for me. One can fly to Copenhagen or Malmo, which is just across the bridge apparently.

Similarly I can get to York, Krakow or Berlin. Although i'm not sure how easy York is to get to for those on the continent.

And if you end up going in November, the temperature must be considered I suppose. Places in Britain or Ireland get cold and wet but places in Europe may get freezing.

Archived