Roose Bolton or Walder Frey

BlackBird

Since GRRM has indicated that the ASOIAF will have a bitter sweet ending, most people speculate about the 'good' characters who might die at the end. What if he kept one (or more) of our more hated characters alive? For the sake of narrowing down this topic, would fans of the books / show accept an ending where either Roose Bolton or Walder Frey survive to the end? Who do you think is more likely to remain alive to the end? Both have shown their tendency and ability to change their allegiance when the tides turn. I personally want both of their heads spiked at the gates of Winterfell, but just curious about what others think?

Since GRRM has indicated that the ASOIAF will have a bitter sweet ending, most people speculate about the 'good' characters who might die at the end. What if he kept one (or more) of our more hated characters alive? For the sake of narrowing down this topic, would fans of the books / show accept an ending where either Roose Bolton or Walder Frey survive to the end? Who do you think is more likely to remain alive to the end? Both have shown their tendency and ability to change their allegiance when the tides turn. I personally want both of their heads spiked at the gates of Winterfell, but just curious about what others think?

First things first, it looks like you're new here, so welcome!

I also want both of them to go, but if I were to put money on either one making it to the end, I'd put it on Roose Bolton. No one in the Realm even bothers hiding their disdain of the Freys. Roose, on the other hand, is still tiptoed around because people know he's still in a position of power relative to them and they know how crafty he is (see Wyman Manderly's conversation with Davos and Lady Dustin's conversation with Theon).

Immediately after the RW I wanted to see both of them dead as soon as possible. After ADwD, I don't hate Roose as much as I did. At the very least he's an incredibly interesting character in the same vain as LF. "This is a game to him. Mlidly amusing... Roose plays with men". I love the level of control he has over Ramsay, and that Ramsay doesn't quite fully understand. I'm hoping he gives his bastard a nice flaying at some point

Walder Frey, on the other hand, is a complete c**t. The harsher the death the better for that guy.

I'd prefer them both to die, but if I have to choose, I believe Walder Frey has higher chances of surviving the series (in fact, I believe if he dies, it will be of natural causes).

Freys are despised by all of Westeros and actively hunted by Manderly and Lady Stoneheart, but their strength is still largely intact, their castle is still theirs and most of the family is still alive and well. Even if they suffer some losses, they're in good position to bargain with whoever holds most of the power, be it Aegon, Dany or Lannisters. The only danger to them is that Tullys or other Riverlands house assumes Paramount lordship over Riverlands, but as of now, it's not likely to happen.

Roose, on the other hand, is a goner. By being Warden of the North, he actively put himself in position where others can plot and scheme against him. And they do - half the North is united against him, and the other half is of fragile and uncertain loyalty, and likely to turn their back on him once they discover Bran or Rickon are alive (especially if you believe Great Northern Conspiracy theory). Sooner of later, that is bound to happen, and when it does, Roose is up for quite a hard time. That is, if Jon Snow or Stannis don't kill him first.

In short, I believe Freys will probably die/be exiled, but I'm almost certain Roose won't survive.

And of course, BlackBird, welcome to the forum :)

I think Roose will live .He is highly indifferent to the whole thing, even if three Dragons show up outside Dreadfort he'll probably think "Meh" and go have a snack. But Ramsey will burn and so will Walder frey and all the others at he Twins.

I'd prefer them both to die, but if I have to choose, I believe Walder Frey has higher chances of surviving the series (in fact, I believe if he dies, it will be of natural causes).

Not a chance he survives or dies of natural causes. Unless being eaten by a direwolf is a natural cause. Or being turned into a rat counts as surviving. You can't turkey slap the gods and not expect retribution.

Archived