Roose Bolton or Walder Frey

BlackBird

Roose is so awesome that I kind of want him to get away with everything he's done. Walder Frey, on the other hand, can go to hell.

Same. Roose as Warden of the North or at least Lord of the Dreadfort under a restored Rickon Stark. I'd even settle for Lord Commander of the Night's Watch as long as his child with Fat Walda inherits his lands.

(not saying these outcomes are likely, just that I'd prefer them)

Im neither, hes a traitor and an honorless backstabber.

You say that like it's a bad thing

I want Roose to survive as long as possible. He's a great villain.

Don't let E-Ro see you saying that. He might revoke your "King's Man" status and give you to the flames :laugh:

:uhoh:

How isn't he that bad? He killed his King and betrayed the people he was fighting alongside (the Northerners) and planning on ruling. He wanted to become Warden of the North purely out of selfish ambition and to do that he seen a whole bunch of Northerners die.

In my opinion that places him very high on the 'bad' scale.

No. He did it to survive since robb says he would not bend the knee and defeat was almost certain. I think he killed Robb on Tywin's order to prove his loyaulty to the crown, and the titles he was given were all poisoned since he can stay alive only by siding with the Lannister till the end. Another way Tywin used to keep him chained to the Lannister.

During the RW, with all we know about Roose, he would have just sit there and watch while drinking water but he decided to finish Robb. The reason is probably in one of Tywin's letter.

I have to side with DarkHorse here. Not in her hostility to Roose, but in her description of his motives and nature.

Roose could have survived without killing Robb Stark. He returned Tywin's son and even sabotaged the Northern infantry. Other bannermen were pardoned for a lot less. Fear isn't what motivated his planning and participating in the Red Wedding, ambition was. It was a way for him to progress in the "game," a way to amuse himself. Robb's losing prospects were what made it possible. "Lannister enmity means little to Bolton."

Same with personally stabbing his King. Bolton is cold but he is also cruel. His sadism is just more refined and "quiet" than Ramsay's. I imagine that twisting the blade (literally with the sword and figuratively by giving Jaime's regards) gave him great satisfaction and amusement, and I don't think Tywin cared about that level of detail.

I have to side with DarkHorse here. Not in her hostility to Roose, but in her description of his motives and nature.

Roose could have survived without killing Robb Stark. He returned Tywin's son and even sabotaged the Northern infantry. Other bannermen were pardoned for a lot less. Fear isn't what motivated his planning and participating in the Red Wedding, ambition was. It was a way for him to progress in the "game," a way to amuse himself. Robb's losing prospects were what made it possible. "Lannister enmity means little to Bolton."

Same with personally stabbing his King. Bolton is cold but he is also cruel. His sadism is just more refined and "quiet" than Ramsay's. I imagine that twisting the blade (literally with the sword and figuratively by giving Jaime's regards) gave him great satisfaction and amusement, and I don't think Tywin cared about that level of detail.

Different povs are alright.

It is all about Tywin, he could have accepted Roose's tribute (Jaime) as sufficient or not. He could have decided to not trust any backstabber so he set the stage for Walder and Roose to be his littles bitches forever. Or he could not. I think it fits Tywin to takes those kind of precaution but I could be wrong. We dont know either if Roose is really a cruel evil man as everyone here so easily assumed. He practices the tradition of the first night, thats it. His son is evil yes, but Roose... we cant be certain.

The Man Who Passes The Sentence Should Swing The Sword.

It's either Roose's respect for Northern Tradition or a hilarious in-joke for himself to pass the sentence and swing the sword on Ned Stark's Oldest Son. Or mayhaps a bit of both.

He can't just sell Robb out, he has to drive the final nail into the coffin personally. Only instead of "you owe to a man to look him in the eye and hear his last words", the "good" side of the coin like Ned would say, Roose has to be there to see the look on Robb's face when Robb finally realizes, too late, that Roose has sold him out and helped put this all together.

The dark side of the coin. A foil for Eddard Stark. Bizarro-Ned.

The Man Who Passes The Sentence Should Swing The Sword.

It's either Roose's respect for Northern Tradition or a hilarious in-joke for himself to pass the sentence and swing the sword on Ned Stark's Oldest Son. Or mayhaps a bit of both.

He can't just sell Robb out, he has to drive the final nail into the coffin personally. Only instead of "you owe to a man to look him in the eye and hear his last words", the "good" side of the coin like Ned would say, Roose has to be there to see the look on Robb's face when Robb finally realizes, too late, that Roose has sold him out and helped put this all together.

The dark side of the coin. A foil for Eddard Stark. Bizarro-Ned.

:agree:

Roose is every bit a Northman. Regarding the bolded part, I think it was both. It also included the in-joke of passing the regards of the realm's only other Kingslayer on to Robb

:agree:

Roose is every bit a Northman. Regarding the bolded part, I think it was both. It also included the in-joke of passing the regards of the realm's only other Kingslayer on to Robb

That's a good catch actually; Roose is joining the Kingslayer Fraternity.

(though Lancel brings the membership count to 3 on a technicality :))

We dont know either if Roose is really a cruel evil man as everyone here so easily assumed. He practices the tradition of the first night, thats it. His son is evil yes, but Roose... we cant be certain.

He hangs all the squatters at Winterfell entirely needlessly, after promising them mercy. He brutally punishes anyone who cooperated with the Lannisters when he takes Harrenhal - he decapitates the Maester (somewhat justified, since the Maester sent ravens to Casterly Rock as the castle was being stormed) and turns the women into rape toys for his men. He then goes on to do exactly what he punished them for - he cooperates with the Lannisters. Roose even gives Brienne to Vargo Hoat (who Roose knows is a sick freak) despite her never doing him any harm

It's also implied that he's flayed people, but I doubt he does it to random people just for fun like his bastard.

I'm a huge fan of Roose, but there's no denying he is a monster. He just hides it well.

Damn, we're gonna need a bigger Frathouse!

and Drogo, but he died. and Old age, Aemon was the "official" Targ heir after Viserys died since Jon isnt known at all, doesnt he? Gregor is a kingslayer too since he killed Aegon (if he died after aerys).

And BR killed Daemon too, he was a king too. :D

I actually think Walder Frey, and everyone with him, will get cooked inside the Twins by the Dragon(s). His attitude toward his fortifications reminds me of how Lord Harrenhal felt about the impenetrability of his castle. I imagine them both possessing the same sort of smug attitude in that regard, so I think he's gonna fry.

I think Roose Bolton will die in Winds of Winter.

I would be upset if they both lived.

Archived