Do you think Renly was good at fighting with either Lance or Sword?

I don't remember hearing much about Renly's skill at arms.

If I had to guess I would say he is was above average even for a noble. I say this for a few reasons. The first is training. He was obviously castle raised and had great one on one training with a proper master at arms. The second reason is genetics. He is cut from the same cloth as great warrior Robert Baratheon. The third is Loras. We all know Loras is one of the best if not the best lances in the realm and is't to shabby with a sword either. Since Loras was Renly's squire, and a squire learns a lot from the knight he serves it would not be a stretch to assume that Renly was significantly above average with a horse and lance as well.

What do you think?

Im sure he had plenty of practice crossing swords with Loras, I see no reason to suspect he wasn't proficient at handling lances.

HAHA.. I was expecting that.. I was going to put in a no gay joke disclaimer, but I figured I'd get more reponsces if I didn't.

Show Renly is obviously a bit of a useless cipher who can't stand the thought of anything relating to personal violence. Book Renly seems like much more of a man's man. Obviously we only see him in action once in the books, during the Tourney of the Hand, where he's unhorsed by the eventual champion, and it would seem relatively late in the day. So he's probably at least an average jouster, if not better than average. He's rather bigger and stronger than average, too, which are good assets for a knight.

It seems unlikely that Loras would have developed into such an exceptional fighter if Renly wasn't at least a reasonable one himself, since he was largely responsible for Loras's later training. But there's nothing to suggest Renly is a brilliant warrior: I'd imagine he's just pretty good.

Show Renly is obviously a bit of a useless cipher who can't stand the thought of anything relating to personal violence. Book Renly seems like much more of a man's man. Obviously we only see him in action once in the books, during the Tourney of the Hand, where he's unhorsed by the eventual champion, and it would seem relatively late in the day. So he's probably at least an average jouster, if not better than average. He's rather bigger and stronger than average, too, which are good assets for a knight.

It seems unlikely that Loras would have developed into such an exceptional fighter if Renly wasn't at least a reasonable one himself, since he was largely responsible for Loras's later training. But there's nothing to suggest Renly is a brilliant warrior: I'd imagine he's just pretty good.

I'm definitely going to agree on this one. Show Renly was pretty effete, but book Renly was wearing armor that Loras couldn't even reasonably fit into, and was of Robert-esque 'natural born warrior' proportions.

He is unhorsed by the Hound in the Hand's tourney, so assuming there's some sort of seeding system, you'd imagine he must of got through several rounds before facing the Hound, and is therefore reasonable with a lance.

I agree, Renly was above average.

He was a Baratheon with the best trainers possible (he was given Storm's End and was brother to the king). He was good with a blade. He wasn't Jamie, Loras, or Barristan good. But he was still probably better than most.

EDIT:

He is probably competent with both. He is highborn and would be trained at arms, plus I'm sure he trained with Loras, and I don't mean that in a sexual way.

Loras was his squire. That means he should have trained Loras.

Archived