Do you think Renly was good at fighting with either Lance or Sword?

I see three Renly threads right now. What is going on today?

I came this close to starting another one.

It was to be called "Why am I asking personal questions about Renly?"

(The gist of the character was he didn't have the bestest work ethic, right? So i'd just apply that to his weapon training and use it as the answer to this question. If you grow up getting bashed by Robert every day at recess, you'd get passably good just so you could protect yourself from being a total punching bag, but you'd also drift into other pursuits because there'd be no beating Bob.)

I have no doubt that when behind castle walls he can hold his own. But put him out on the battlefield and he'll be squashed like a bug. He only plays, he doesn't know how to fight for real.

Neither did Robb Stark, until he marched south. Nor did Bob, until he won the throne. Nor did Stannis, until he was charged with defense of Storm's End. Everybody starts as noob, says Captain Obvious.

Yeah, Cat's whole "knights of summer suxx0r" thing looks a bit ridiculous when you consider that Robb hadn't even fought in a tournament until his campaign and kicked a load of Lannister backside, whereas the "knights of summer" were older than Robb and had plenty of tourney experience. There's nothing to suggest they wouldn't have done just as well as Robb did... and indeed when they're unleashed at the Blackwater they're very effective.

Cat is a perpetual outsider. When in the North she feels out of place as a southerner, but as soon as she comes south of the Neck she starts looking at everyone around her as a soft southron. Only her family escape her weird perspective, and even then she looks on them as they were, not as they are. She doesn't realise Lysa is crazy; she frets and worries about her warrior-king son; she treats the Lord Paramount of the Riverlands like a naughty schoolboy, and praises the ground the Blackfish walks on as if he's going to get her dad to cut off her allowance if she doesn't. I'm no Cat-hater, but her judgment of other characters often just can't really be trusted.

Yeah, Cat's whole "knights of summer suxx0r" thing looks a bit ridiculous when you consider that Robb hadn't even fought in a tournament until his campaign and kicked a load of Lannister backside, whereas the "knights of summer" were older than Robb and had plenty of tourney experience. There's nothing to suggest they wouldn't have done just as well as Robb did... and indeed when they're unleashed at the Blackwater they're very effective.

Robb was never noted as being a great fighter and Catelyn was talking rubbish. Amongst Renly's camp were some of the best fighters and commanders in the realm. Loras, Garlan and as a Tarly are as good as you are going to get. Sometimes you have to look at more than just one characters POV.

I see three Renly threads right now. What is going on today?

They don't even make it blatantly obvious in the books. The show is so ham-fisted they had to show the viewer Renly n' Loras having sex to let us know they're gay.

I'm happy that the show included the gay sex, if it can be so called. I understand that the books are limited by POV and love the respect with which GRRM handles their relationship but it would have been a bit of a slap in the face for the show to relegate homosexuality to mere suggestion when there are boobs on show at least once per episode. I'm more disappointed that the euphemisms tend to only seem to come out on the forums when we're discussing Renly, despite the fact that swords and lances are discussed all the time.

As for the question, he was likely not bad as a warrior, but when you're around Loras Tyrell all the time you're not likely to be recognised for it.

Definitely lance, he was a tourney animal after all.

However he strikes me from books as very similar to Robert in this - a fighter, a warrior... But not a soldier. Stannis, OTOH, was a soldier, mindful of logistics, patient if need be... No wonder his warrior brothers did not like him ;)

Archived