Who gave Mandon Moore the order to kill Tyrion?

Peter Woolshirt

Yeah, like killing Roz... /snark

it was joff for sure...the show does a great job of clarifying things that are presumed in the books (renly/loras) (stannis sleeping with melisandre) and who knows...joffery could have killed some whore named ros in the books that theon and tyrion slept with occasionally...for informing varys on LF....there are many whores in westeros off page, and probably a handfull of whores off page who fit the description of lf/ varys informer who happen to have been banged out by theon,and tyrion, who joffery sadistically killed bc he is an evil little bastard

• 3 months later...

Mandon was a Kingsguard, and I don't believe he would attempt to kill Tyrion without a direct order. A Kingsguard can only take a direct order from the king or queen (in this case queen regent). I don't think it was Cersei that gave the order. We have POV chapters for her, and in none of them does she make any note of Mandon Moore. Surely, with her paranoia over Tyrion, she would have at least once cursed Moore for not doing the job right. That leaves Joffrey as being the only person who could give the order. Like what probably happended with Ned's execution, the idea was planted in Joff's head. Either Varys or LF planted the idea to have Tyrion killed. Both of their plans involve relying on the incompetency of whoever is ruling. Tyrion was gaining power and was competent, so both had the motive. I have to go with LF. It fits his mo of having others do the dirty work for him, such as using Lyn Corbray to break up plots against him and letting the Tyrells poison Joff while he was away. If it was Varys, he would've killed Tyrion in a manner similar to the way he killed Kevan and Pycelle. In short, Joffrey gave the order to Mandon, but Littlefinger planted the idea in his head.

I always thought Cerseu planted the idea.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's Littlefinger.

He has a history of blaming someone else for his own deeds.

He blamed Tyrion for the assassination attempt on Bran most likely ordered by Joffrey at Littlefinger's suggestion, and expected Cat/Ned to kill him.

I think Mandon Moore was order by Joffrey at the request of Littlefinger to cover up for blaming the assassination attempt on Tyrion after Tyrion escaped from the Vale and the Starks found innocent by trial by combat.

Then later he sets up Tyrion to be blamed for the poisoning of Joffrey, which he himself plotted/committed.

... Osmund has become especially unreliable since he joined the Kingsgaurd. That white cloak does things to a man, I find.

That quote is Littlefinger telling Sansa that the Kettleblacks are in his employ. It begs the question, does he have a lot of experience with men changing after joining the Kingsguard?

As stated earlier, a man from the Vale who seems to have no friends or supporters gets a high level appointment. This stinks of Baelish. Moore might have been a Baelish plant, but that doesn't mean he controls him entirely, not anymore.

It is also worth pointing out that the Kingsguard traditionally keep no secrets from each other. Admittedly, this is a tradition that is only invoked when convenient. Mandon Moore could not only be trusted to kill Tyrion, but he could be trusted to keep the death a secret.

So, I am totally buying the Littlefinger working with Joffrey to make sure Tyrion doesn't come back from the battle. He certainly seems to have the motivation, considering how he framed Tyrion for the botched job on Bran.

I always thought Cerseu planted the idea.

It's not completely out of the realm of possibility, but I just don't see it. Knowing what we know about Cersei, it seems guaranteed that she would have at least one thought about how big a failure Moore was, possibly going so far as to blame his failure on Joff's death (remember, she believed Tyrion killed Joffrey). And like Jon of the Dead said, Tyrion had Tommen as a hostage at the time. She's crazy, but I don't think she would willingly harm her children, considering she sees them as extensions of herself.

• 8 months later...

it was joff for sure...the show does a great job of clarifying things that are presumed in the books (renly/loras) (stannis sleeping with melisandre) and who knows...joffery could have killed some whore named ros in the books that theon and tyrion slept with occasionally...for informing varys on LF....there are many whores in westeros off page, and probably a handfull of whores off page who fit the description of lf/ varys informer who happen to have been banged out by theon,and tyrion, who joffery sadistically killed bc he is an evil little bastard

The show doesn't have definite proof it was Joff. Tyrion just assumed it because Cersei didn't answer him. I think it was LF.

I've eventually settled on the idea that it was Baelish.

Moore is almost a complete blank slate. He's not presented as a good guy by any means, but he's also not shown to be a Lannister bootlicker like Trant or Blount. Pretty much the only thing we know about him is that he's from the Vale and came on board when Arryn became Hand. He became a Kingsguard despite not being well-liked by either Arryn or Robert. So who would have spoken up for him? Maybe it was Baelish, who came to the capital too at about this same time.

It actually makes sense that Baelish would have a plant in the Kingsguard. It's a decent arrangement: Moore is set for life as a Kingsguard, and in exchange Baelish gets information and someone to perhaps do the occasional bit of dirty work.

Why try to kill Tyrion then? Baelish and Tyrion engage in a lot of verbal sparring and posturing in the second book. Tyrion comes to suspect that Pycelle poisoned Arryn, and tells Baelish that he's going to try to make nice with Lysa, maybe, by offering her up Jon Arryn's killer. The way the men have been bantering, it's possible that Baelish took this as a veiled threat, and maybe concluded that Tyrion had figured out the role that Baelish played in Arryn's death. Tyrion doesn't tell Baelish he suspects Pycelle, just that he thinks he's found the real killer. Baelish, not knowing that Tyrion is wrong, may have used that possible threat as a reason to go after him. If nothing else, Tyrion signaled that he was interested in investigating Arryn's death, which could have eventually led Tyrion to Baelish, even if he wasn't there yet.

Solution? Baelish has Moore try to kill Tyrion in the battle.

The thing with both Joffrey and Cersei is that if either of them wanted to execute Tyrion badly enough, they'd find an excuse. Cersei at least has a reason to hold back, given that Myrcella is in Dorne. But I have a hard time believing that Joffrey, the king, would resort to a mid-battle assassination attempt if he really wanted Tyrion dead. The attempt smacks of the work of someone on equal or lesser political standing than Tyrion, someone who otherwise couldn't threaten him openly. Which fits Baelish.

What makes you think that Tywin doesn't murder family? I suspect he does, and I also suspect Tyrion is not his family. I think he had Joff killed.

I'm exploring this story and I'd like to know if you have some evidence.

If Tywin wanted to kill Tyrion I suspect he'd have done it years ago.

I used to believe that Cersei had commanded the assasination, he waited until Tyrion got separated from Ser Balon and took action when the bridge of ships was about to fall apart... But the more I thought about it less sense it made. Cersei had plenty of reason; Tyrion had put her on a leash and she was loosing power by the day, Myrcella was spirited away to Dorne and reasonable men were taking positions of power instead of Cersei's idiotic pawns. But she should've known that outright murdering the commnder of KL defense was bananas. She also thought she had the upper hand at the time.

Mandon acting by his own volition is doubtful to me too; he was a dangerous guy, but Barristan said that duty was his sole companion, it's completely mad to kill the commander of the city's defense jeopardizing the safety of the king, and even more by doing so in the collapsing bridge of ships, knowing that he may die and leave the king with one less sword about him. Unless he had some inside knowledge or ulterior motive or duty was just a facade.

So I adhere to the theory of LF having something to do with it. I mean, he had already put a price on his head by telling Cat he was the one who tried to kill Bran, and shortly after he put Tyrion in the middle of a grand conspiracy that killed Joffrey. Seriously, WTF is the problem of LF with poor old Tyrion?

I've always assumed it was Joff. Not sure anyone else would be dumb enough to send a KG, who's know to have issues with Tyrion, in mid battle, fully armored and in pimp white, in the open, surround by enemies and allies to kill the Hand of the king. If it was a nobody that tried to kill Tyrion, then it's any ones guess.

I've always assumed it was Joff. Not sure anyone else would be dumb enough to send a KG, who's know to have issues with Tyrion, in mid battle, fully armored and in pimp white, in the open, surround by enemies and allies to kill the Hand of the king. If it was a nobody that tried to kill Tyrion, then it's any ones guess.

Joff could of just executed Tyrion infront of the court if he wanted or send the hound (who hated Tyrion) to do it. Why the need to do it in such a sneak way?

/snip

Agree with it.

Remember how Tyrion outplayed LF in One-Two-Three.

He had the pleasure of seeing a look of genuine surprise in Petyr Baelish’s grey-green eyes. “Myrcella?”

“When she comes of age, she can wed little Lord Robert. Until such time, she’ll be Lady Lysa’s ward at the Eyrie.”

“And what does Her Grace the queen think of this ploy?” When Tyrion shrugged, Littlefinger burst into laughter. “I thought not. You’re a dangerous little man, Lannister. Yes, I could sing this song to Lysa.” Again the sly smile, the mischief in his glance. “If I cared to.”

Tyrion nodded, waiting, knowing Littlefinger could never abide a long silence.

“So,” Lord Petyr continued after a pause, utterly unabashed, “what’s in your pot for me?”

“Harrenhal.”

It was interesting to watch his face. Lord Petyr’s father had been the smallest of small lords, his grandfather a landless hedge knight; by birth, he held no more than a few stony acres on the windswept shore of the Fingers. Harrenhal was one of the richest plums in the Seven Kingdoms, its lands broad and rich and fertile, its great castle as formidable as any in the realm . . . and so large as to dwarf Riverrun, where Petyr Baelish had been fostered by House Tully, only to be brusquely expelled when he dared raise his sights to Lord Hoster’s daughter.

Littlefinger took a moment to adjust the drape of his cape, but Tyrion had seen the flash of hunger in those sly cat’s eyes. I have him, he knew. “Harrenhal is cursed,” Lord Petyr said after a moment, trying to sound bored.

Two, thought Tyrion.

Tyrion unintentionally triggered a lot of things.

“Everyone wants something, Alayne. And when you know what a man wants you know who he is, and how to move him.”

It was always LF’s ambition to have Harrenhal and by offering it to LF, he moved him. After the revelation that it was a ploy, LF was highly displeased and I think from that moment he decided to kill Tyrion because of the danger he proposed to his schemes. LF might have thought that Tyrion knew more than he revealed and always had the potential to unravel more about his schemes. We know that Tyrion did not know much and did not have the opportunity to focus on LF's machinations. But LF probably didnot know that and he could not risk being outplayed by him again.

Archived