Cricket XVII

Paxter

I'm no great fan of Hughes, but he is the only young batsman to score heavily in the Shield in recent times. By contrast, the likes of Shaun Marsh and Usman Khawaja have struggled to perform in domestic cricket. So I think the selectors are trying to reward success at the lower levels.

Unfortunately for Hughes, he hasn't really got the technique or the temperment to be a consistent test batsman. And to make things worse, he is no No. 3. So from that perspective, yep, a bit of a mystery.

I'm in a minority here, but when Hughes gets going, I really enjoy watching him bat (go ahead with all the slip catching practice jokes). He is very much a confidence player and can take apart bowlers quickly. Unfortunately, he's lost much of his early confidence and can't get it back. His technique is flawed, no question about it. But plenty of players with shoddy techniques have been successful test cricketers. It eventually gets to them and is their undoing, but it shouldn't necessarily mean that you can't be a test batsman. Look at guys like Sehwag. But I agree with Paxter on one thing- Hughes is not a test first drop, regardless of domestic success. If someone else is willing to take that responsibility, then a lower position would suit him better.

England have dropped Finn, apparently because of the additional swing that Bresnan may extract. I can understand the decision, but I would definitely have Finn in the team against India. I would always choose extra bounce against any subcontinent team, particularly an in form bowler like Finn.

I read in the newspaper yesterday that the channel breadcastinf cricket in australia wants a say in the selection of the team.

How true is this news?

Channel Nine have been complaining ever since Australia introduced the squad rotation policy for domestic ODI's to manage player workload. There has been a raft of injuries plaguing Australia's fast bowlers in recent years, so this has emerged as somewhat of a priority for the recovery of Australian cricket as the best young cricketers in the country at the moment are all fast bowlers. The rotation policy has also extended to batsmen with Clarke's back, Watson's numerous injuries and several others. Nine obviously don't like this because it affects viewer numbers and advertising dollars. I don't think they explicitly stated that they wanted control over selection policy, they simply stated that they would like to see the best team take the field, which is what cricket fans want as well. What you've read about is media spin-doctoring to make it appear like a bigger story than it is.

Channel Nine have been complaining ever since Australia introduced the squad rotation policy for domestic ODI's to manage player workload. There has been a raft of injuries plaguing Australia's fast bowlers in recent years, so this has emerged as somewhat of a priority for the recovery of Australian cricket as the best young cricketers in the country at the moment are all fast bowlers. The rotation policy has also extended to batsmen with Clarke's back, Watson's numerous injuries and several others. Nine obviously don't like this because it affects viewer numbers and advertising dollars. I don't think they explicitly stated that they wanted control over selection policy, they simply stated that they would like to see the best team take the field, which is what cricket fans want as well. What you've read about is media spin-doctoring to make it appear like a bigger story than it is.

^^ This, pretty much. There's an official statement from CA kicking around from last week to the effect that CA chooses the team, and no one else.

Interestingly, the statement says that CA will certainly listen to suggestions. But that it has sole jurisdiction at the end of the day.

I understand Channel 9's concern - the ODI team during the Aussie summer was notably bereft of any big names. Clarke, Warner, Siddle, Watson and Mike Hussey were all rested (or not selected in Hussey's case). I can imagine selecting a team of no-names affected the viewing numbers (and probably the gate receipts as well) and Channel Nine understandably want to avoid that if they're paying lots of money for the rights. I get that players need to be rested and new ones tested, but last summer was too much.

Re: England/India, the shorter this game gets the better it is for the Indians. Hard to believe but I'm rooting for the underdogs of England in this one.

Well, if it's a portent of things to come, we may actually manage to draw a couple of Tests and make it only 3-0 after all.

Careful of the Cricket Gods. They have a wicked sense of humour and enjoy a good jinx.

Yes, we have the best captain, wicketkeeper, bowling attack (do the Aussies need a few of our spares ...?), and our batting line-up looks phenomenal ... but England will still make the Ashes entertaining by getting themselves in to trouble every now and then.

;)

I think the best thing is that there was a result, it looked for a lot of the day as if there wouldn't be enough play to constitute a match (and the ICC foolishly refused to schedule a reserve day in case the final was washed out). India have clearly been the best team in the tournament so they did deserve to win but England seemed to completely throw it away at the end after having done most of the hard work.

I was a bit surprised that Bell was given out by the third umpire when there didn't seem to be any conclusive evidence that the bails were dislodged before he got hit foot down, although I suppose England did benefit from a marginal decision in the previous match that Broad didn't bowl a no-ball so it does even out to some extent.

In other news, KP scored 177 on his first-class return from injury which is an encouraging sign for the Ashes. I don't think England are quite as dependent on Pietersen as they have been in some previous years, but he'll still be a big asset for the team.

Yep, England threw that one away, but India were definitely the more consistent team over the tournament. Pretty good Champions Trophy all in all.

Now the Ashes countdown is on...

Well, Australia's Ashes tour continues to throw up surprises, and we haven't even played any cricket yet!

I wouldn't have been overly surprised by this move if it had happened straight after the India tour, but the timing seems really off with less than three weeks to go until the first test. Looks like Darren Lehmann is best placed to take over, which would be a reasonably good appointment.

Hilarious way to prepare for the series, although the team culture has obviously gone downhill under Arthur although the captain also has to be held accountable no matter how many runs he scores.

Not sure about Lehmann though - my understanding of his coaching style is "Play hard, celebrate hard". He seems to have had quite a bit of success with that as Queensland coach but whether it would work with the current test players I'm not sure. At least if he can prevent them celebrating with the opposition after a loss that's one step in the right direction, I guess.

It's actually a bit of a shame in some ways. Arthur was a very successful and well-respected coach before taking the Australia job, but the team's deterioration under his watch - both on and off the field - will taint both his future job prospects and his overall legacy.

In other news, Fawad is heading back to Australia, Steve Smith is in the Ashes squad, and Agar has been kept on the tour. So definitely no leg-spinner playing in this Ashes.

Like Pax I thought if they were going to get rid of him, the end of the India tour would have made more sense. Taking him out now makes it look like they're tying him into the recent Warner mess etc.

Lehmann might not be a bad coach, although I think most Aussies (me included) are favourably inclined to anyone from our 'glory days'. That being said, Lehmann was not just a highly rated player, he was also a long-time state captain of South Australia (and I believe maybe a county captain as well?), so he knows what it's like to be a leader and deal with captaincy sort of issues. Hopefully those experiences also mean he has a good eye for first-class cricket and grass-roots development, which is what Australia really needs now.

Archived