Will Stannis win against Bolton?

theBigPicture

Not during the siege but afterwards with Ramsay and Roose? captured, and he gets challenged by them or he wants to challenge them and whoever is in charge allows it.

My current pet theory is that Roose will decided discretion is the better part of valour and retreat from Winterfell with the bulk of his forces after seeing most of his Frey allies cut down and his own allies not advancing in their fronts (Manderly) or simply quiting the field as I suspect Dustin's men and the Umbers will do.

Ramsay will be sent in to reinforce the Freys but he'll be overwhelmed and he'll cut his way through enemy lines to freedom with his remaining bodyguard.

Both will eventually meet up at the Dreadfort, where Ramsay procedes to kill Roose. Maybe Ramsay will eventually be confronted by Jon, but I have a hard time picturing Martin doing something like that, and Ramsay will last be seen being disemboweld by a Wight.

Tox, I think Corvo was joking…should be obvious after the omnipresent bit ;)

oh by the way, Stannis will crush the leechlord or his son.

just to quote the man himself

Stannis bristled at that. "I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?"

Sorry Ser, its just that... I've seen things said regarding Stannis.. terrible things... That make it hard to tell whether somebody's joking or not...

Stannis rigs the lake and most of the Frey soldiers fall through the ice. Manderly's men attack from the rear and kill whatever remains of the Frey men. Some of Stannis' men are then dressed up like Freys, and they along with Manderly's troops return to Winterfell, claiming victory. When they are all within the walls, they turn their cloaks and attack the Boltons (they are probably joined by the Umbers at this point). The Stannis loyalists win, but one of the Boltons escape (probably Roose).

Sorry Ser, its just that... I've seen things said regarding Stannis.. terrible things... That make it hard to tell whether somebody's joking or not...

It's okay Broseph the Mannis will show em!

So far it looks like things are stacked against Roose but he still holds Winterfell and only a resurgent Stark is likely to make his Northern bannermen go over to Stannis, who is an Andal.

So is Manderly ;)

The predictions for battle are out there. Lake covered with ice weakened by fishing pits, and covered with snow. Freys will see nice open field to charge. Manderly soldiers will be jsut behnd them... Blocking the retreat. Whoever breaks through is met by Stannis army.

Roose closes gates on Ramsay, and is in turn beaten by GNC. I think Lord Wyman will die, unfortunately.

North remembers. Same way they remember Frey treachery, they will remember a Southron lord who left the warmth to help them (and yes, Stannis is pretty crucial - saving NW from Wildlings, ensuring better garrison on the Wall, gathering the clansmen... There will be a debt. And at the same time there is threat up North that needs the combined strength of Westeros to defeat.

I can't see this battle resulting in a dominant victory by either side. I think both will suffer heavy losses, and the marginal victor won't be able to resist the return of a Stark King in the North, whether it be Jon or Rickon. Most Northmen will declare for a Stark over Stannis/Roose. Both of them will see their demise in TWOW.

Ramsay will be the warm-up boss. He's completely outclassed against Stannis.

Stannis vs Roose will be a spectacle though. The outcome of that will either snuff out House Bolton or ensure its rise to power; no one else can stop them right now.

Why do people think the Manderly forces will turn of the Freys? Isn't Wyman Manderly still in Winterfell due to having had his chins sliced open? I doubt whoever is commanding them is going to spontaneusly decide to side with Stannis. Furthermore, in his conversaton with Davos it was clear that Manderly is playing it safe desite having major gripes with Bolton and the Freys. I don't think he will do anything until Davos comes back with Rickon, or at least until he isn't on the verge of death anymore and practically a hostage at Winterfell...

Why do people think the Manderly forces will turn of the Freys? Isn't Wyman Manderly still in Winterfell due to having had his chins sliced open? I doubt whoever is commanding them is going to spontaneusly decide to side with Stannis. Furthermore, in his conversaton with Davos it was clear that Manderly is playing it safe desite having major gripes with Bolton and the Freys. I don't think he will do anything until Davos comes back with Rickon, or at least until he isn't on the verge of death anymore and practically a hostage at Winterfell...

Cause he's already killing and eating them?

There's a theory that floats around that he plans to have the iced over lake break underneath the weight of the Frey army. I believe it's supposed to parallel a real life battle in Russia.

Also that Manderly murders any surviving Freys and joins Stannis, at least for the time being.

Cause he's already killing and eating them?

Secretly killing them and covering it up isn't the same thing as openly turn on them in the middle of the battle. It would have been the same as if at the feast Manderly would have said "oh btw you are actually eating the Freys, lol". Also, Manderly is at Winterfell and grievely wounded, so I don't think that he is in any state to plot betrayal.

Also, Bolton still has 6k men at Winterfell. Even if Manderly sucsssfully helped Stannis out, the battle would be far from won. As long as victory isn't certain, Manderly will remain loyal to Bolton (as seen in his chat with Ser Onion).

I think Roose will suspect Manderlay's betrayal and will retreat back to the Dreadfort, so Stannis gets the victory on a technicality. However, at some point Ramsay HAS to piss off Roose to the breaking point. Roose seems too content to allow Ramsay to do almost whatever he wants, at some point he has to lose it and him and Ramsay go at it. My crazy thought is that Ramsay refuses to leave Winterfell and kills Roose for demanding that he leave.

well from what we know of the situation so far (disregarding the pink letter) It looks to be advantage stannis, due to the karstark situation, he is in possession of fake arya, and the manderleys are planning to switch sides (although i think there are only 500 or so manderleys in boltons camp, so this isnt a huge advantage as people think in this battle unless as many have suggested there is some kind of reserve manderley army nearby) But still something strikes me about this situation as not quite right, as sending the freys and manderleys out to attack stannis does not sound like a good move on his part, one he may be to clever to make (possibly, although admittedly he is running low on food and the manderleys and freys are at each others throats) Either way, i'd expect roose to have realised that wyman might turn his cloak, as he clearly doesnt trust him, and the freys are probably the biggest thing keeping him in control of the north, and the only faction aside from dreadfort men who are truly loyal to roose. Even if Stannis does win the first battle with the Freys and Ramsay (and maybe the manderleys) He still faces the rather large conundrum of how to get inside winterfell

There's a theory that floats around that he plans to have the iced over lake break underneath the weight of the Frey army. I believe it's supposed to parallel a real life battle in Russia.

Also that Manderly murders any surviving Freys and joins Stannis, at least for the time being.

I think it is E-Ro who has been the main proponent of that theory- If anyone is interested, Google "Alexander Nevsky."

ETA: Here

ETA 2: And here.

Archived