[BOOK SPOILERS] TV Series Improvements on the Story?

AryaBaratheon

Im a noobie, so please don't flay me if this is a repetitive post. The novels, IMO, are far more interesting than the HBO series. This is the general rule for books translated to screen. However, there have been a few departures from the novels that I thought played really well on the show.

My favorite change was when Arya became Tywin's cupbearer, rather than Roose Bolton's. The Tywin-Arya exchanges were some of the best of the second season.

Has anyone else been pleasantly surprised by a change in the story from book to TV?

This needs to be moved to the show forums.

I did enjoy the Tywin/Arya interactions even though they could have added more to the plot.

Welcome to the forums :)

Like Protar said, this should be moved.

But you are right about the Tywin/Arya change. I quite enjoyed it.

I also enjoyed how they seemed to give Roose Bolton more screentime than he had in the books at this point.

Charles Dance's Tywin is a very cool character. He isn't book Tywin, and I wouldn't say one of the two is necessarily "better" than the other, but as a book reader I kind of liked meeting a new and interesting character in the TV show... one of their better introductions (looking at you, Roz!)

Oh, and welcome to the forum Arya... Baratheon? Is the name inspired by shipping or secret stag crackpotting? Anyways: :grouphug:

I actually prefer Tywin’s physcial appearance on the show. The shaved head and muttonchops thing always struck me as slightly ridiculous. A fairly old guy with closely-cropped hair and beard makes more sense to me.

I like on the show that Davos really only has the one son. In the books, I think he has seven. It makes his loss all the more devastating.

Im a noobie, so please don't flay me if this is a repetitive post. The novels, IMO, are far more interesting than the HBO series. This is the general rule for books translated to screen. However, there have been a few departures from the novels that I thought played really well on the show.

My favorite change was when Arya became Tywin's cupbearer, rather than Roose Bolton's. The Tywin-Arya exchanges were some of the best of the second season.

Has anyone else been pleasantly surprised by a change in the story from book to TV?

A few stuff is more entertaining. I have to disagree with the Arya/Tywin bit. It was entertaining, but made no sense in repeated views. Why did he just leave her there? He figures out she is a daughter of a Northern noble. Even if on the off chance he hadn't heard about Arya's escape, why would he not simply have her taken prisoner and sent to KL for a random? Instead he's like, "Aw. You adorable little scamp."

I mean, I don't have a lot of respect for Tywin. I think his reputation is mainly just that. It is overblown and mostly undeserved. But ignoring a noble from the enemy side who you speak about war plans in front of is just idiotic on a grand scale. And while mercy might be a reason, Tywin is not a merciful sort of guy.

I don't particularly like the Tywin/Arya scenes, but they have added a lot worse.I like some of the sigils better in the show (i,e, House Bolton) and a few of the smaller interactions have been nice (some mentioned that Robert-Cersei scene) but most of their large changes I've not been a big fan of.

Then he kept questioning her about things like how she knows how to read. He knows something is up. He just doesn't bother with it because she's such a scamp.

:agree: This, which is why I didn't really care for it. I just did not find it very believable or in line with Tywin's overall character.

and welcome to the forum OP

Archived