[BOOK SPOILERS] TV Series Improvements on the Story?

AryaBaratheon

I was on a re-read of ACoK and thought the show handled the Great Ranging thing much better i.e. by having Mormont say in the s1 finale that they're going out beyond the Wall (great scene btw) and then at the start of s2 having them journeying.

In the second book the first Jon chapter is him still at the Wall which - great Donal Noye quote about the Baratheon brothers notwithstanding - with the next which is the NW at Whitetree, feels pretty lame and slow. Show is much punchier.

I was on a re-read of ACoK and thought the show handled the Great Ranging thing much better i.e. by having Mormont say in the s1 finale that they're going out beyond the Wall (great scene btw) and then at the start of s2 having them journeying.

In the second book the first Jon chapter is him still at the Wall which - great Donal Noye quote about the Baratheon brothers notwithstanding - with the next which is the NW at Whitetree, feels pretty lame and slow. Show is much punchier.

THAT'S WHO SAID THAT QUOTE. Holy shit.

A few weeks ago I was trying to find that discussion about the Barabrothers so badly, but couldn't find it. I was searching in ACoK's prologue, in the Davos chapters, in Tyrion chapters, etc. - I never thought to look in a Jon chapter. Damn, thanks!

/please note, I only have the books - no kindle or anything like that.

Other things that I think are better in the show:

-Jorah Mormont. Not only a more handsome man, of course, but also a smarter person who seems less of a dumm puppy.

-Osha: way more charismatic & interesting.

-I like the fact that TV show Varys seems to have a real fondness and respect for Tyrion. I love how he always has his little smiles whenever Tyrion does something cool & funny. He also seems to be just as disgusted by Joffrey as others.

*I am not saying that book Varys doesn't like Tyrion...it is just not really made clear in the books.

-As cool as Bronn is in the books, the show makes him cooler. And I like the sort of closer friendship he has with Tyrion in the show than in the book.

(which, come to think about it, is going to make it harder to swallow that he wouldn't stand up for Tyrion in the Trial by Combat. I think they will prevent Bronn from helping Tyrion in some other round-about way).

They definitely will not. If there is one thing that has been heavily foreshadowed over and over again its Bronn "Betraying " Tyrion. They have had the same money conversation at least 5 times now. I'm totally baffles by the logic around here that two people being closer on the show means that a betrayal won't happen. They make the characters closer so that the brtrayal will feel like a real betrayal.

They definitely will not. If there is one thing that has been heavily foreshadowed over and over again its Bronn "Betraying " Tyrion. They have had the same money conversation at least 5 times now. I'm totally baffles by the logic around here that two people being closer on the show means that a betrayal won't happen. They make the characters closer so that the brtrayal will feel like a real betrayal.

Agree, and I think the same applies to the Tyrion-Shae relationship on the show.

On Bronn abandoning Tyrion: I've actually never viewed that as a betrayal. He would have had to fight the Mountain, and Bronn knows his limits. Sure, he'll gamble a bit to help Tyrion out (and earn a lot of money), but he's not going to commit suicide.

True. I took it like Tyrion saying "Dude, this is a long shot but could you..." and Bronn says "Sorry, I like living." and Tyrion doesn't hold it against him. Fighting the knight at the Vale was one thing, but fighting the Mountain? That's a death sentence. I think Bronn's still loyal to Tyrion, and would come to his aid, if the occasion ever occurs again in the series. I'm fairly certain the scene will play out on TV much like in the books.

True. I took it like Tyrion saying "Dude, this is a long shot but could you..." and Bronn says "Sorry, I like living." and Tyrion doesn't hold it against him. Fighting the knight at the Vale was one thing, but fighting the Mountain? That's a death sentence. I think Bronn's still loyal to Tyrion, and would come to his aid, if the occasion ever occurs again in the series. I'm fairly certain the scene will play out on TV much like in the books.

Bronn was never loyal to Tyrion. He liked him, but he always was a sell sword.

He waited until Lysa named an old man before he defended Tyrion in the Eyrie - had Lysa named Lyn Corbray (who was there, and nominated himself) - then he wouldn't have spoken up. When he abandons Tyrion, he has a sure thing which is miles and miles ahead of where he could have imagined himself when he was sitting in a tavern just a year and a half previous.

I like how they've framed the friendship in the series. And it will be delightful when Bronn walks out on Tyrion, but you can't mistake ambition for friendship.

Archived