June's What are you Reading Thread

Snuffaluffalee

Finished Beloved by Toni Morrison yesterday and enjoyed it. I have another book of hers waiting to be picked up on my shelf.

Reading: The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls on recommendation of my dad. So far it's interesting.

And my on going summer project: Act Three of King Henry the Six (I really have to pick up speed with this)

Well, I changed my reading plans yesterday evening, slightly. I decided that I would re-read Bakker's TWP and TTT before re-reading some Bradbury. Also in the midst of re-reading Mario Vargas Llosa's excellent historical novel over the last days of the Trujillo regime in the Dominician Republic, La Fiesta del Chivo (The Feast of the Goat in English translation, I believe). After that, who knows? I'm well on my way to reading 120+ books this year at current pace.

Can't find Memories of Ice, else I'd be reading that too.

Just finished Bakker's TWP, and I thought it very good. I guess I am just not bothered by Kehlus' lack of weaknesses or emotions. NOw I am reading some classic lit with Remarque's Arch of Triumph.

The Hidden Family by Charles Stross

Actually, Xray is NOT reading the Stross at the moment because someone (and I won't say who) grabbed it off the bedside table on his way to work earlier this week.

just reread thukydides. he rules. and now i have an alcibiades infatuation, so am tracking that personage through aristophanes, plutarch, plato, and the plato apocrypha.

if any'all knows of alcibiades sightings that i've missed, please forward.

I haven't read much this month. First I read Gardens of the Moon on the recommendation of people here and from a friend of mine. It was pretty good, but somehow it didn't meet the expectations from what I had heard about. The worldbuilding and complexity are incredible, but the characterization seems a little too subpar for me. My friend said that it was better than Martin and I told him he was cracked. :) I'll still plan to read the rest of the series.

The book I'm reading right now is a non-fiction anthropology/archaeology book called Urbanism in the Preindustrial World. It's a collection of short essays by anthropologists and archaeologists on preindustrial cities. I picked it up because I have an interest in the subject and it was edited by one of my former professors at the University of Iowa. If anyone is interested in this subject, I'd recommend picking it up.

Well, in a few days (when college finally ends), I'll be reading

The first book of the Foundation Trilogy

Tigana

Master and Margarita

and possibly Finnegan's Wake.

I haven't read much this month. First I read Gardens of the Moon on the recommendation of people here and from a friend of mine. It was pretty good, but somehow it didn't meet the expectations from what I had heard about. The worldbuilding and complexity are incredible, but the characterization seems a little too subpar for me. My friend said that it was better than Martin and I told him he was cracked. :) I'll still plan to read the rest of the series.

You really should continue with the series. Deadhouse Gates is amazing. I just finished it last night.

Tonight I should be starting The Warrior Prophet. I can't wait.

Elric of Menilbone by Moorcock. My first Moorcock book. The style is somewhat archaic, but the impressions are powerful. I'm almost minded to compare Menilbone to a younger, more vibrant and more purposeful Gormenghast at the peak of its power.

Archived