GRRM statement about the White Walkers and use of ice

OberynBlackfyre

'When asked if he knows what substance an Other sword is made from GRRM answered, “ “Ice. But not like regular old ice. The Others can do things with ice that we can't imagine and make substances of it.” '

Thank you so much yolkboy for finding me this quote from an interview with GRRM.

Now that we know that White Walkers can actually wield and use ice as a substance, I think that could possibly determine the fact that they are somewhat civilized...however, what other things could they do with ice?

thoughts? I think this changes a lot of the who/what/why of the White Walkers and their origin + motivation.

the white walkers built the wall

It certainly seems possible. I've also wondered if the original Ice sword was an Others blade from the last long night, hence the name.And what the hell else can the Others can make from ice???

It certainly seems possible. I've also wondered if the original Ice sword was an Others blade from the last long night, hence the name.And what the hell else can the Others can make from ice???

this fits in with my theory that the White Walkers were actually (somewhat) created by the CoTF as a weapon against the First Men. If the White Walkers put up The Wall, that COULD have been to protect the remaining COTF

this fits in with my theory that the White Walkers were actually (somewhat) created by the CoTF as a weapon against the First Men. If the White Walkers put up The Wall, that COULD have been to protect the remaining COTF

and that would explain the tons of white walkers around the home of the COTF where brain is i guess..

.And what the hell else can the Others can make from ice???

Pardon the pun ... but cool...

Then again, it's still *ice* and down in Dorne, it will become Good Humor bars for those little nekkid kids cavorting in the fountains.

and that would explain the tons of white walkers around the home of the COTF where brain is i guess..

yep, also why the COTF seem intent (for the nonce) on trying to HELP mankind...maybe they feel guilty?

the white walkers built the wall

Never heard this theory before, I actually like it. I like it a lot. :D

They are an advanced civilization. They built the Wall to keep humans out of their territory. They've tolerated the presence of Wildlings like a minor nuisance, but now their civilization is expanding/tired of them and have decided to harass them until they move South. They attacked the NW at the Fist because they saw it as a militaristic incursion into their territory/impediment to the Wildlings going South.

It would be really funny if Jon leading a massive military expedition North of the Wall to "stop the Others" is what actually ends up provoking the White Walkers into invading Westeros at all. The humans (Jon of all people) end up bringing the horrific Long Night upon themselves because they know nothing.

Not sure it will go down that way, but it would be one hell of a twist.

It would be really funny if Jon leading a massive military expedition North of the Wall to "stop the Others" is what actually ends up provoking the White Walkers into invading Westeros at all. The humans (Jon of all people) end up bringing the horrific Long Night upon themselves because they know nothing.

Also crossed my mind. Still, don't understand the whole babies thing.

They are an advanced civilization. They built the Wall to keep humans out of their territory. They've tolerated the presence of Wildlings like a minor nuisance, but now their civilization is expanding/tired of them and have decided to harass them until they move South. They attacked the NW at the Fist because they saw it as a militaristic incursion into their territory/impediment to the Wildlings going South.

interesting theory!

Also crossed my mind. Still, don't understand the whole babies thing.

It could simply be a part of their religion, like an animal sacrifice. It wouldn't surprise me if the WW view people as animals, sacrificing a human baby might not mean anymore to them than sacrificing calf's was to people in real world history (as disturbing a thought as that is). Based on Bran's weirwood vision where he saw a man having his throat cut before a heart tree, the Old God's religion certainly seemed to have a sacrificial aspect to it. If the WW follow a religion that has any similarities to that of the Old Gods, then sacrifice could plausibly be an aspect of it.

Or alternatively, since they only take male babies and we haven't seen any female WW, they could be subjecting the infants to some sort of ritual that turns them into White Walkers. That would be how they "reproduce". I also wouldn't be surprised if WW are essentially immortal ('the cold preserves'), only able to die if stabbed with dragonglass or valyrian steel.

Just some rampant speculation...

Weren't those wights outside of the cave?

That's a really intriguing theory and it would be a supreme irony.

The mystery of the Others is killing me! Five books and we hardly know any more about them than we did in the Prologue to AGoT. But in the prologue the group of Others does seem sophisticated -- they have language and apparently humor since Will hears what he perceives as their laughter. And clearly they could have killed Will and Gared but they let them live for some reason. Well, Royce the wight got Will, but surely the Others knew he was there and could have done it themselves.

Interesting theory but it doesn't explain why there are no ruins of castles along the north side of the wall or why the walkways are on the south side.

I don't buy the theory that the walkers created the wall on their own but I like the idea the others were created by cotf and then turned on them. Maybe the cotf used their magic to create the wall to protect men when their creation turned on them? It's interesting stuff.

Archived