Would Rhaegar have been a better father to Jon than Ned?

~DarkHorse~

If we switch the roles and Jon is the odd one out in the Targaryen family rather than the Stark family.

I know this is really hard to answer because we don't know allot about Rhaegar...

However, perhaps he would have shown Jon more affection or maybe he would have pressurised him with prophecy crap?

Also, do you think Elia would have been like Catelyn when it came to Jon? If Lyanna had died but Rhaegar, Elia and his children lived would he have brought Jon up with his family?

What are your opinions?

You know, as much as i love me some Rhae-man, i dont think he'd have been as good a father to Jon as Ned was. Ned instilled some very important morals for Jon. Honor being paramount. Also "doing whats right." Thats not to say that Rhaegar would have ignored Jon, he probably would have been decent, if not a bit distant. If Rhaegar had raised Jon, i could see Jon being more studious in pursuits of more intellectual matters. But think about it. Jon was already a bit spoiled from living as a Stark bastard. Could you imagine if he had been raised at court? Holy crap. I like Ned!Jon better methinks.

As for Elia, her marriage to Rhaegar was hardly a love match. Part of why Cat felt so burned by Ned was because they came to love each other. I dont know if she would have been a total Ice Queen to Jon, but im sure she would have had some reservations. Especially given that she was always in poor health. Would Jon have been close with Aegon and Rhaenys? Maybe. Aegon could look at Jon as a big brother, and maybe Rhaenys would have been a little like Arya. /shrug

I assume Elia would've been alright with it. The Dornish are a bit more understanding with things. Ellaria Sand comes to mind as an example. But its tough to say.

Rhaegar I don't think would've been as dutiful as a father as Ned was. This situation involves a lot of speculation as to what happened with RR, but lets just say the Targs won. Rhaegar wouldn't have been quite a season warrior as Ned was by the time of aGoT. Ned had two wars he was involved with. Rhaegar had like one battle in the timeline.

You know, as much as i love me some Rhae-man, i dont think he'd have been as good a father to Jon as Ned was. Ned instilled some very important morals for Jon. Honor being paramount. Also "doing whats right." Thats not to say that Rhaegar would have ignored Jon, he probably would have been decent, if not a bit distant. If Rhaegar had raised Jon, i could see Jon being more studious in pursuits of more intellectual matters. But think about it. Jon was already a bit spoiled from living as a Stark bastard. Could you imagine if he had been raised at court? Holy crap. I like Ned!Jon better methinks.

As for Elia, her marriage to Rhaegar was hardly a love match. Part of why Cat felt so burned by Ned was because they came to love each other. I dont know if she would have been a total Ice Queen to Jon, but im sure she would have had some reservations. Especially given that she was always in poor health. Would Jon have been close with Aegon and Rhaenys? Maybe. Aegon could look at Jon as a big brother, and maybe Rhaenys would have been a little like Arya. /shrug

Jon is younger than Aegon and Rhaenys.

The guy who ran away with a Lord Paramount's daughter, thereby putting his entire family potentially in danger and allowing war to engulf the Realm while he was having fun at the Tower of Joy?

Somehow, I don't see him being a good, responsible father.

The guy who ran away with a Lord Paramount's daughter, thereby putting his entire family potentially in danger and allowing war to engulf the Realm while he was having fun at the Tower of Joy?

Somehow, I don't see him being a good, responsible father.

Exactly so. I think Ned had more parenting skills in his big toe than Rhaegar had in his whole body.

Probably would of treated them the same as he did his other kids. Abandon them with some mad man and expect Others to take care of them for him. Then maybe Knight a sociopath who eventually kills his children.

But boy I love me some Rhaegar all the great things he did, what a guy. Did you know he could play the Harp and read. Wow, that Rhaegar, what a guy. I am gonna speculate on how great he was. He had silver hair and cured cancer, and he won a million tourneys and healed people just by touching them and he never ever ever ever did anything wrong because I know his character so well. Just look at all his POV's.

Oh wait this thread is serious? Really?

Jon is younger than Aegon and Rhaenys.

Rhaenys is older yes, but that doesnt mean they couldnt be close. Aegon and Jon are very close in age. They could be like Robb and Jon. But seeing how Jon would be the spare, he would be able to get away with a lot more junk than Aegon would. Flying below the radar. I could see Aegon looking up to Jon because of having more wiggle room.

• 3 weeks later...

I doubt Rhaegar would be anywhere near as good a father as Ned. He's melancholy and distant, I doubt he'd do much when it came to raising Jon. If anything, he'd focus his energy on Aegon. Elia however, I think would be kinder to Jon than Catelyn was, given the Dornish attitude to affairs.

Jon as the son he had with the love of his life would have shown to be his favourite more so because she died birthing him and Elia would have know Rhaegar would legitimise Jon when he was king maybe even name him heir which is all of cats fears but Rhaegar actually has the power to do that.

We have absolutely no evidence whatsoever that Rhaegar was a good father. He however ran off with Lyanna either chasing a prophecy or some tail. So, as long as Lyanna is still hot or Rhaegar finds a different wench who will fulfill the prophecy, Rhaegar will drop Jon just like he dropped Aegon and Rhaenys.

No thousands times no.

First he would be like Randyl because he wasn't a girl and second we saw what a great father he was for the rest of his children.

Randyl Tarly, really? That's quite a stretch. But no, its hard to beat the Ned as fathers go,

Archived