Who will succeed the Boy Lion? The Young Dragon or the Iron Stag?

BaseBornBastard

GRRM has confirmed that there be several asses given the privilege of gracing the IT before the series ends. Right now, the contenders are Stannis, Aegon, Dany and Euron. I don't see Dany ever sitting on the IT to be honest. I believe that she was never destined for the Game of Thrones and that her part will be played in the Long Night 2.0. Call me crazy, but I can't imagine Euron succeeding either, though I guess anything is possible. I think the only realistic contenders are Aegon and Stannis. In fact I believe both of them may have their day at some stage, though if I had to choose who I think will directly succeed Tommen, I would have to say Aegon. Who may then be overthrown by Stannis.

So who do you think will be the next Monarch of Westeros? Do you, like me, feel that Aegon and Stannis are the only two realistic options? Or do you have a different opinion entirely?

Well, I posted my theory/hope for how the IT scramble will play out in another thread, I'll just copy and paste here since it fits so well:

Next to sit I think will be Aegon, since he is on the fast track to power and Tyrell/Cersei infighting should send KL to hell.

Second, we know there needs to be another Dance of Dragons, so Dany comes across the sea, exposes Aegon as the mummer's dragon, and takes the throne.

But she can't keep it, because the dragons are needed to fight the Others. In the death and confusion, Stannis emerges from the ashes like a glorious and beautiful pheonix to finally take what is his by rights.

However, Stannis sitting the IT at the end just seems too good to be true, so he dies fighting the others and either Shireen, or if she is really a dead girl because of the grayscale, a legitimized Gendry or Edric sit the throne at the end as Stannis' heir.

I see Aegon wrestling control from the Lannisters first. Next a dance of dragons occurs between Aegon and Dany. The long winter comes and Stannis holds the throne. R+L=J is revealed, and Stannis steps down to let Jon Snow Ascend. Together they beat back the long night. Dany exiles herself to a house with a red door where she lives out her days with Jorah. After Stannis steps down he returns to Storm's End where he always wanted to be. Davos resigns and returns to his wife and remaining sons. Jon Snow makes Rickon Stark Warden of the North and Edmure Tully lord paramount in the riverlands again. Tyrion gains Casterly Rock and returns dignity and reliability to the Lannister name. Hightowers become lords of the Reach. Arrianne becomes Jon's queen.

Aegon Vi and then Dany will take it but will lose it to someone ... unexpected,, ie NOT JON.

This is my take on it as well. I don't think Jon can be King of anything because GRRM said that Kings don't get POVs. So, Jon and Bran are out. Neither can be KitN or sit the Iron Throne. Which leaves Stannis, Rickon (yes Rickon, he's got to be there for a reason), and Euron as contenders.

Dany has POV, but she is a Queen so the stricture doesn't apply to her.

This is my take on it as well. I don't think Jon can be King of anything because GRRM said that Kings don't get POVs. So, Jon and Bran are out. Neither can be KitN or sit the Iron Throne. Which leaves Stannis, Rickon (yes Rickon, he's got to be there for a reason), and Euron as contenders.

Dany has POV, but she is a Queen so the stricture doesn't apply to her.

maybe if Dany dies and she names Jon her heir his rule will include slavers bay an he will be called Emperor instead. Hmmmmmm

It's gonna be Aegon

^ Killed by Dany who then takes the IT

^ Killed by the Greyjoys, who then take control of KL

^ Killed when Stannis and Jon SnuSnu descend upon the city. Then while the two are either arguing or making plans the rightful king Howland Reed will ambush 'em, shank Jon for a second time, and poison Stannis, taking the IT once and for all. House Reed will continue on as the kings of Westeros and everyone will be Happy Gilmore.

That's the way I see it playing out.

maybe if Dany dies and she names Jon her heir his rule will include slavers bay an he will be called Emperor instead. Hmmmmmm

Maybe, I've been thinking of ways GRRM might weasel out of the "No King POVs"... maybe Jon died, and after his resurrection he won't have a POV, or maybe as you say he'll simply be have another title.

I feel Rickon is destined for greatness. He must be there for a reason, and he hasn't done anything yet, really.

Maybe, I've been thinking of ways GRRM might weasel out of the "No King POVs"... maybe Jon died, and after his resurrection he won't have a POV, or maybe as you say he'll simply be have another title.

Or maybe GRRM meant the current kings wouldn't have POV's and Jon is a future king. Dany has a pov, though she is a queen, and most people expect her to sit the iron throne at least for a moment

Or maybe GRRM meant the current kings wouldn't have POV's and Jon is a future king. Dany has a pov, though she is a queen, and most people expect her to sit the iron throne at least for a moment

GRRM explicitly exempted Queens IIRC, so we have Cersie and Dany POVs but no POVs from Robert, Robb, Stannis, Renly, Joffrey, Tommen, Balon etc.

I'll look for the exact quote and post it once I can find it.

• 1 year later...

GRRM said that there will be several people to sit the IT. We have already seen three: Robert, Joffrey, and Tommen. The next person to sit the throne may be the last person. With that said, the next person may be Myrcella and then the next person Aegon. At this point I think Aegon is going to be the last. That could change when the next novel comes out, since my opinion has changed with each each novel.

GRRM said that there will be several people to sit the IT. We have already seen three: Robert, Joffrey, and Tommen. The next person to sit the throne may be the last person. With that said, the next person may be Myrcella and then the next person Aegon. At this point I think Aegon is going to be the last. That could change when the next novel comes out, since my opinion has changed with each each novel.

I agree that there is a good chance GRRM was including the entire series for that quote (why telegraph what you are or are not going to do in future books)

Robert, Ned (proxy for Robert), Joffery, Tommen so far.

I think the only real candidates to take the throne from here to the end are Stannis, Myrcella, Cersie, Aegon, Daenerys and Jon.

Archived