The only hope for a Stark restoration is...

AegonTargaryen

He's already got the mint and the fleet, and I imagine he'd try to absorb as much of the Bolton lands as he could, especially since they're adjacent to his. Maybe Hornwood, too. I'd be shocked if he didn't marry Wylla to Rickon, thus giving his house favored status with Winterfell for generations to come, and I'm sure he'd want to surround Rickon with Manderly playmates to grow up with. If he got truly reckless he could try to reduce the tax burden on White Harbor. Most importantly, I think, he'd have control over Rickon's education. He'd make sure Rickon grew up convinced that the Manderlys were indispensable, and maybe that some of their rivals were less than trustworthy.

If Manderly does most of that he's sure to earn the envy of the other Northern houses, but currying favor with the king probably offsets the negatives. Its no less than what Tywin was willing to risk with Robert.

Edit - To clarify, this is what he could do if he decided to be extremely aggresive about things. I don't think he'd go quite this far.

Thats the JUST price North has to pay in order to have Starks back in power.

Man built the fleet, provided the army, provided the heir to the seat, provided hope and pride. And you would pay him with what, a thank you letter?

He has Glover house and few more on his side and by most of the North that is on that side he is the last hope for Starks.

Manderly is 2nd strongest family in the North, 3rd being Bolton preRW. Problem would be wildlings since they will most likely fill the holes in the North, they already got Karhold, most likely Dreadfort will be given to wildlings.

Wrong quote m8, but hopefully an add-up.

Well first off, I don't think we see anymore Stark deaths, so the Stark restoration is gonna happen.

- Sansa will become a major player in the north either via the Vale or temporarily Winterfell

- Bran will live for a thousand years in his tree fort

- Arya will never come out from the shadows. She's seen to much, and experienced too much. She will live a life of solitude and the only happy reunion she will get will be with Nymeria.

- Rickon will be seated at Winterfell by Manderly/Stannis/Jon

- Jon is AA and will end up on the Iron Throne

1- Agreed.

2- Agreed.

3- I disagree. I think that Arya will definitily be changed by her experiences as a FM, but when it comes down to it, she'll choose her family.

4- Agreed. But he's still a child, which means he'll need a regent, and that's where Jon comes in.

5- Agree 50%, disagree 50%. I also think he is AA, but I really don't think he will end up on the IT. Actually, I think there won't even be an IT in the end.

3- I disagree. I think that Arya will definitily be changed by her experiences as a FM, but when it comes down to it, she'll choose her family.

"Luwin: What are the words of House Tully? Your mothers family?

Family, Duty, Honor"

I agree.

Thats the JUST price North has to pay in order to have Starks back in power.

Man built the fleet, provided the army, provided the heir to the seat, provided hope and pride. And you would pay him with what, a thank you letter?

He has Glover house and few more on his side and by most of the North that is on that side he is the last hope for Starks.

Manderly is 2nd strongest family in the North, 3rd being Bolton preRW. Problem would be wildlings since they will most likely fill the holes in the North, they already got Karhold, most likely Dreadfort will be given to wildlings.

Hey I'm not saying the man isn't entitled to most, provided he follows through on his stated intentions. Most of that and a Lamprey pie! But the question was what might he make a play for, besides the Bolton lands. It's also worth noting, as C0bR did, that just b/c he ought to be richly rewarded doesn't mean the other houses won't resent that happening/fear the result.

Also I think there's more than enough Gift for the Wildlings to fill. I'd be surprised if many of them settled south of there.

Edit - Just, like, the worst spelling you guys

I don't think it's necessarily a matter of her choosing her family or not. I just think she's on this path that's not too dissimilar to a hardened war vet whose unable to fully integrate themselves back into society. With everything she's gone through and where she is now, I just can't see her sliding on back to Westeros and having any semblance of life as a Stark. She will be crazy shadow assassin lady loving her family from a distance, much like Bran will.

older, more experienced, and that's what history would suggest.
History would suggest that Jon gets stabbed betraying the attempts of his subjects, but regarding Sansa, in other words, there is nothing some time and experience cannot bridge. Good thing Sansa, by the sole virtue of being alive actually gets both of those. She's less likely to get stabbed too, seeing how she does in AFFC.

If Jon survives - and that's a big damn if, though i'm rooting for him - i see no reason why some arrangement couldn't be found. He'll have the wildlings and the Watch, and the Umbers and hill clans will ultimately go with him, even over Stannis. Along with Manderly and whatever he's holding down south plus crannogmen and whatever the Blackfish can gather they can topple the Boltons and Freys and hold Winterfell secure while Rickon is groomed for power.

This is the time for tearing down age-old traditions and power structures. There are wildlings in the thousands south of the wall, and the gods and Bran only know what's coming from the North. The Lord Commander of the NW was just assasinated by his own men for the second time in a few months. The enormity of the Frey and Bolton crimes leaves the victors no choice - the Twins and the Dreadfort would be raised to the ground and sowed with salt, and these are ancient houses.

A Lord Commander in direct political play is hardly a novelty at this point. He doesn't have to leave the Watch entirely.

Rickon will be the saviour of the Starks, his experiences will toughen him up without screwing him up whilst his relationship with Osha means he will be tolerant of the wildlings now residing the other side of the wall. Plus a regency under Manderly/Reed/Umber, I think, will be good for the North.

I think in the end:

1- Jon gets the IT

2- Rickon gets Winterfell with Jon looking out for him... maybe Sam helps him until he's old enough to do it alone (Jon would trust Sam)

3-Sansa takes the Vale

4-Arya takes another area, maybe Castlery Rock after Jon pays them back for all their help over the years

5- Brans a tree

6- Jon married Arianne bringing Dorne back to their side

7- Stannis dies, just can't see him surviving the series

You can take Stark out of the North but you can't take the North out of the Stark. Sansa is still a Stark, and no playboy from the Vale will change that. One way or another she would raise her kids to be Starks.

That said, I think Rickon will be the one to restore house Stark. Unlike some people, I don't Manderly will turn Rickon into some kind of puppet. Look how he raised Wylla (see sig). Thats not the sort of man who will use what he believes to be last son of House Stark as a tool.

You can take Stark out of the North but you can't take the North out of the Stark. Sansa is still a Stark, and no playboy from the Vale will change that. One way or another she would raise her kids to be Starks.

That said, I think Rickon will be the one to restore house Stark. Unlike some people, I don't Manderly will turn Rickon into some kind of puppet. Look how he raised Wylla (see sig). Thats not the sort of man who will use what he believes to be last son of House Stark as a tool.

I'm not just some playboy, baby. :smug:

This has been discussed to death but I really do not see Jon Snow suddenly finding out he is the son of the man he was taught to believe killed his aunt (mother) and embracing the Targaryen banner. Also, if he flat out refused to become Lord Jon Stark of Winterfell and Warden of the North, then why would be jump at being Jon Targaryen, the First of His Name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm?

I think that Jon will respond to that news in the same way he responds to everything...with solemn angst and pensiveness.

I know Littlefinger is using Sansa but isn't it likely that Sansa's character development will eventually include her triumphing all control? I thought the rebuilding Winterfell snow castle thing was significant, although I hope it's not a deliberate foreshadowing. She rebuilt it and then an Arryn ripped it down in a fit of rage. But I think she will one day be responsible for reclaiming Winterfell and restoring the Stark name.

It seems too Hollywood if Jon becomes king of anything. That's just my two cents.

Archived