The only hope for a Stark restoration is...

AegonTargaryen

Jon isn't a stark.

Rickon is the only one who can actually carry on the Stark name. He is the only one with a chance of actually ''fully restoring the Stark'' all other Starks would be the end of the line...in name anyway....

Jon isn't a stark.

Rickon is the only one who can actually carry on the Stark name. He is the only one with a chance of actually ''fully restoring the Stark'' all other Starks would be the end of the line...in name anyway....

Technically, he's as much a Stark as Rickon is. IIRC, there are a few examples of high-born Lady marrying and keeping their family name. Lollys Stokeworth comes to mind. And Falyse is well. So Sansa and Arya can conceivable continue the line and the name.

. IIRC, there are a few examples of high-born Lady marrying and keeping their family name. Lollys Stokeworth comes to mind. And Falyse is well. So Sansa and Arya can conceivable continue the line and the name.

I think it depends. Arya's "husband" kept the name Bolton for example and did not take the name Stark. If they had kids they would have been Boltons.

I think it depends. Arya's "husband" kept the name Bolton for example and did not take the name Stark. If they had kids they would have been Boltons.

I'm quite sure you're right. But, simply put, I'm saying that there seems to be precedent for continuing a family through the female line rather than the male one and that someone in Arya or Sansa's position could make that call. I'm sure that Ramsay kept the Bolton name because the ultimate plan was to make sure it was the Bolton line and name that ruled over Winterfell... and "Arya" wouldn't have been able to argue against it.

I'm quite sure you're right. But, simply put, I'm saying that there seems to be precedent for continuing a family through the female line rather than the male one and that someone in Arya or Sansa's position could make that call. I'm sure that Ramsay kept the Bolton name because the ultimate plan was to make sure it was the Bolton line and name that ruled over Winterfell... and "Arya" wouldn't have been able to argue against it.

They could. I'm guessing their husband would have to be willing and not be ambitious like Ramsay/the Boltons.

Technically, he's as much a Stark as Rickon is. IIRC, there are a few examples of high-born Lady marrying and keeping their family name. Lollys Stokeworth comes to mind. And Falyse is well. So Sansa and Arya can conceivable continue the line and the name.

They could also go the Mormont route.

I agree with the OP.

Rickon is a child, and Winter is coming. Children can not lead no matter what happened on Skaagos.

Also not sure why people are such fans of Sansa ultimately being the one to take up a leadership position in the North when the sheer logistics of her getting to the North make it a nigh impossibility. Firstly, she'd need to convince the Vale lords to go to war with the Riverlands (Freys), and take the Twins, then she'd have to march an army up there and take the North from whoever is holding it, or bend the knee to Stannis. This is ignoring the fact that a) she has no military, leadership, or political experience, B) that she has no interest in gaining any of these, c) she is married to Tyrion, and unless she gets her marriage annulled, no one in the North is going to fight to give the wife of Tyrion Lannister Winterfell, and d) Littlefinger is not going to let her do anything without his say so, and I'd imagine he's not going to allow her to take Winterfell until the time is right, and until she is married to either himself or Harry Arryn.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sansa never sees the North again, and if she does, I don't think she'll ever take up a leadership position with her brothers alive. The Manderley's wouldn't let her near Rickon, in fact, not sure if they'd let anyone near Rickon (though I'm sure Rickon will have other ideas).

This only leaves one person: Jon. He is the only hope for a Stark resurgence. He is young, a proven commander, widely regarded as Ned's bastard (his blood), has a direwolf (which allows the lords to identify him, and gives him some legitimacy as having Stark blood), and already has the support of an army (the Wildlings).

Whether he keeps the North is another thing, but if Robb offered it to him (e.g.- without having to forsake the Old Gods, and burn them down like Stannis did) I could see him taking Winterfell. Definitely think his time with the NW is over, hell, he made that abundantly clear in his last chapter.

Summing it up: Rickon (too young to lead anything), Sansa (Lannister), and Arya (on a different continent, needs someone friendly to the Starks to first identify her if she returns) cannot be effective Stark leadership at a time when the North is in shambles, and need a strong Stark at the helm to stem the chaos.

I’m lining up with all the Rickon supporters here. There is no doubt in my mind that Davos coming back with Rickon is what emboldened Lord-Too-Fat-to-Sit-a-Horse to provoke the Freys into attacking him. The Frey host shall be smashed in the battle of Ice and the Manderlys, under the banner of the Direwolf shall be the hammer and Stannis the Anvil .

The only real question for me is who does he wind up marrying, Wylla or Shireen?

The chances of a Stark restoration basically requires them to keep on breeding. Why?

Look at the loyalty of the Northmen. They march, entire armies, through a blizzard, against the man they're expected to call their liege lord, to save the youngest daughter of the long-dead Lord Stark. That's dedication, and odds are, based on Wylla, these lords have been at least somewhat successful at instilling similar sympathies in their children.

So if Stannis and Jon die, leaving Rickon without a chance of reclaiming the North, then they just need to keep making more Starks. The Starks will become a legendary family in the eyes of the Northmen, and they' chafe under Bolton rule. One day, the Stark claim would be pressed, unless there was a major social/emotional overhaul of the North.

Edit: But my money is on Rickon, Lord of Winterfell. He'd probably end up marrying Shireen at Stannis's behest.

This only leaves one person: Jon. He is the only hope for a Stark resurgence. He is young, a proven commander, widely regarded as Ned's bastard...

...and is very dead.

At least until Mel resurrects him.

And even if he lives, the whole R+L=J might see the light in ADOS so he'd be no true Stark.

Although Sansa's got some demons inside her holding back her actions all the time, she could put up an army from The Vale and later on, be a regent in Winterfell until Rickon comes of age.

The whole war against the The Others doesn't have to include Jon being the Lord of Winterfell in order to win.

Jon isn't a stark.

He is, at least with high probability. Catelyn warned Robb of the dangers of legitimizing a bastard, and him gathering all his bannermen when signing a will hints at that, too, after all, why would he make such a ceremony only to name him, say, castellan?

From the things Robb says one can figure that Robb wanted Jon to rule Winterfell for his son/heir or by himself if he didn't have a son.

(unless, of course, you're referring to Jon as a Targaryen, in that case he could not pass on the Stark-name, but he'd have a claim to WF nonetheless.

The problem of getting the will to Jon and making it public still remains, however, but I think Jon has more pressing problems at the moment.

(edit: an interesting question arises, if Jon is legitimized by the will under the pretext that all male Starks are dead, but it turns out they aren't, what happens?

As Catelyn says, he can't be "de-legitimized"; Does he have the stronger claim than Bran & Rickon, do they have the stronger claim but he stays a Stark or is the legitimisation invalid in the first place since was executed under false assumptions? The last one is rather implausible imo, since I doubt that the northern lords would

care about such a technicality and I also doubt that there are laws or guidelines for such a rare case..)

I agree with the OP.

Rickon is a child, and Winter is coming. Children can not lead no matter what happened on Skaagos.

Also not sure why people are such fans of Sansa ultimately being the one to take up a leadership position in the North when the sheer logistics of her getting to the North make it a nigh impossibility. Firstly, she'd need to convince the Vale lords to go to war with the Riverlands (Freys), and take the Twins, then she'd have to march an army up there and take the North from whoever is holding it, or bend the knee to Stannis. This is ignoring the fact that a) she has no military, leadership, or political experience, B) that she has no interest in gaining any of these, c) she is married to Tyrion, and unless she gets her marriage annulled, no one in the North is going to fight to give the wife of Tyrion Lannister Winterfell, and d) Littlefinger is not going to let her do anything without his say so, and I'd imagine he's not going to allow her to take Winterfell until the time is right, and until she is married to either himself or Harry Arryn.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sansa never sees the North again, and if she does, I don't think she'll ever take up a leadership position with her brothers alive. The Manderley's wouldn't let her near Rickon, in fact, not sure if they'd let anyone near Rickon (though I'm sure Rickon will have other ideas).

This only leaves one person: Jon. He is the only hope for a Stark resurgence. He is young, a proven commander, widely regarded as Ned's bastard (his blood), has a direwolf (which allows the lords to identify him, and gives him some legitimacy as having Stark blood), and already has the support of an army (the Wildlings).

Whether he keeps the North is another thing, but if Robb offered it to him (e.g.- without having to forsake the Old Gods, and burn them down like Stannis did) I could see him taking Winterfell. Definitely think his time with the NW is over, hell, he made that abundantly clear in his last chapter.

Summing it up: Rickon (too young to lead anything), Sansa (Lannister), and Arya (on a different continent, needs someone friendly to the Starks to first identify her if she returns) cannot be effective Stark leadership at a time when the North is in shambles, and need a strong Stark at the helm to stem the chaos.

I think Littlefinger will push Sansa in the right direction (for his own gain, of course) and things can snowball from here. I also don't think Sansa would remain married with Tyrion too long - LF wants her to marry so he's probably arranging an annulment with the High Septon.

A game changer could be the liberation of the hostages the Frey got in the RW and who should be on the way to Maidenpool. The Freys, Lannisters, BWB, the Blackfish and LF want them. If LF gets them, he can rally the Northern bannermen to Sansa, or at least, that's what he thinks.

Rickon will be King while Jon will be his Regent. There is nothing in the NW oath that prevents Jon from becoming a regent - a regent holds no lands and is free to not marry and father children. A regent wins no glory either - all the glory goes to the King. Jon needs a good lawyer. I'm guessing a lawyer could twist the NW oath so that Jon fighting for Rickon on the trident against Danny is keeping with his oath.

Jon is the only hope? Then I'm wondering why GRRM has 4 other Starks wandering around. It's ok Jon is your favorite, but leave some tasks to the other Starks. They will be just as capable.

The important point. Jon is the only one of the Stark-line who is male, of fighting age and possesses a certain strategic talent/knowledge in terms of war.

For all we know, Rickon is currently being raised up by Osha (and maybe clans of Skagos), Sansa is being taught by Littlefinger, but her skills aren't as useful in the North as they are in King's Landing and Arya is becoming an assassin.

Jon is the one to pass on everything he learned from Eddard to a future Stark-heir, provided he lives, of course.

He is, however, a Snow. While it may be conceivable that there are ways he could carry on the stark name (he would need to be granted that name from a king ((such as stannis offered to do IIRC))) he would have more obstacles to tackle in order to get there. All Rickon would need to do is not die and then eventually procreate.

I can't imagine Arya marrying, but in regards to Sansa it could be possible. But still would require more obstacles to tackle--especially since it would be rare that even highborn ladies keep their last names.

My answer isn't sexy, but I still think it would be Rickon...

(edit: an interesting question arises, if Jon is legitimized by the will under the pretext that all male Starks are dead, but it turns out they aren't, what happens?

As Catelyn says, he can't be "de-legitimized"; Does he have the stronger claim than Bran & Rickon, do they have the stronger claim but he stays a Stark or is the legitimisation invalid in the first place since was executed under false assumptions? The last one is rather implausible imo, since I doubt that the northern lords would

care about such a technicality and I also doubt that there are laws or guidelines for such a rare case..)

Or it would be interesting if his legitimization goes through and it turns out that r+l=J...................Jerry Springer anyone?

Jon is the only hope? Then I'm wondering why GRRM has 4 other Starks wandering around. It's ok Jon is your favorite, but leave some tasks to the other Starks. They will be just as capable.

Actually Arya is my favourite Stark.

I can't tell if you're trolling me, but in any case, my point isn't that Jon is the only Stark with any role to play in the story. It's that in this particular context, he is required if house Stark is to be restored as a powerful political entity. The other Starks are children. Sansa is in the Vale, Arya is on another continent, and Bran is in a cave in the middle of nowhere. Rickon is the only one in the north and he's but a child.

I tend to agree with most posters that Rickon will ultimately be lord of winterfell and lord Stark, in fact I believe that's his raison d'etre. However, my point is that in the interim Jon is essential to press Rickon's position and ensure his rights are protected.

Even if Manderly is a Stark loyalist, for the period of Rickon's minority (which presumably will last until the end of the series seeing as there is no five year gap) house stark isn't restored to their initial position prior to the red wedding because there is no structured Stark leadership. the lords may love Rickon, but they would not take orders from a child. They would take orders from Manderly, until one of the northern houses gets pissed, and attempts to take Rickon for themselves or they simply stop obeying Manderly.

However, if Jon takes power and custody of Rickon, there would be a central leader for Stark loyalists to flock to, and say what you will about Manderly, I trust Jon more than anyone to protect Rickon's rights and ensure he is safe. With Rickon in Winterfell and Jon as his guardian or his king, house Stark begins to resettle itself as the leaders of the north, not house Bolton, and no, not house Manderly either.

Archived