FOOTBALL XLIV - Mansours, Khelaifis, and Rybolovlevs,... oh my!

Horus Ex Machina

Jon,

No, I'm not comparing Gomez to Messi. Not sure why you'd infer that, maybe because I said he could go to City or Madrid?

I think he would be a succesful striker at a top club again, that's pretty much it. If I were Juve, I'd have picked him over Tevez for instance. But apparently the proof is in the pudding, all the first tier top clubs aren't interested.

Fiorentina isn't exactly a slouch club. I wouldn't consider them a "top club", but they were a breath away from CL football. Not to mention it is a beutiful city to live in. With Gomez in the mix they may have a chance to challange for that third spot next year. They seem to be trading up for the older and slower Luca Toni (one of my favorite strikers of all time).

Joining a team that hosted European Golden shoe winners such as Toni (during his first stint) and Batistuta is pretty good for an aging big man. Most of the bigger teams simply don't need him as a day in and day out starter. He wants regular football which teams like Bayern, Madrid, Man City can't offer him. In Florence he will start, contribute and play in a European competition.. I think the bigger teams know this which is why they aren't interested.

why would anyone not want to play for fiorentina?

a great city, very loyal fans (averaged some 30-40,000 in attendance when the team was dropped to serie c because of financial problems), and a rather competitive team (not europe's elite, but still very good)...

living in florence is enough, everything else is just a bonus ;)

I have to bring up this story for the entertainment value:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23240104

Four clubs involved in two play-off matches that ended 79-0 and 67-0 respectively - a total of 146 goals - have been suspended in Nigeria.

Plateau United Feeders were 79-0 victors over Akurba FC while Police Machine FC demolished Bubayaro FC 67-0.

Plateau United Feeders and Police Machine went into the matches level on points, with promotion to the lowest tier of the Nationwide League Division at stake.

Feeders scored 72 of their goals in the second half, while Police Machine reportedly scored 61 times after the break in their game.

The results meant that Plateau edged above Police Machine on goal difference.

Just a hint of match-fixing there? How did they ever imagine they were going to get away with it? And how sick must Police Machine have felt at the final whistle?

Joining a team that hosted European Golden shoe winners such as Toni (during his first stint) and Batistuta is pretty good for an aging big man.

Ageing? Mario Gomez is only 28 years old, he's in the prime of his career.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/23240104

Just a hint of match-fixing there? How did they ever imagine they were going to get away with it? And how sick must Police Machine have felt at the final whistle?

Haha, that's brilliant. They're the kind of scores you get in the playground at school

Reminds me of the 77/78 Bundesliga finale: Cologne was leading on goal difference (10 better than Mönchengladbach) going into the last game. Gladbach proceeded to beat Dortmund 12-0 (to date the highest victory in Bundesliga history), but since Cologne managed a 5-0 against St. Pauli it didn't change anything.

Surprisingly, it's entirely possible that the game was not manipulated (Dortmund had nothing to play for and several players even refused to come off the bench, being apparently quite demotivated; Otto Rehhagel was also fired shortly afterwards).

A few years ago there was also a game in the amateur Kreisliga in Cologne that ended 54-1, securing the promotion of the winning team. There was an investigation, but I habe actually no idea how that turned out, ultimately.

mormont watch: An American company I've never heard of has submitted a bid to buy Hearts.

Well, they've said they're going to, not that they have. Small difference, but when it comes to Hearts I've become strangely wary of what people say they're going to do. ;)

I really hope it doesn't succeed. Partly because they want to sell the stadium and that's never good news, and partly because I want the fan bid to succeed. Sustainable football has to be the way forward: I'd feel happier about the prospects of a fan-run club being run sustainably than any alternative.

Archived