Aussies Thread LX: Abbott, Ashes, Ales. And Rudd.

Paxter

You're still free to vote for your local MP, whoever the party leader is. Just don't accidentally vote Liberal in the Senate or something, that's the place where the true stuff of nightmares begins.

Just don't accidentally vote Liberal in the Senate or something, that's the place where the true stuff of nightmares begins.

This is the single most important thing you will hear in the leadup to this election.

I think I'm pretty safe from any accidental liberal votes senate or otherwise.

As I said, I do actually like my MP, happy to vote for him. I just plan to do a lot of grumbling about the respective leaders.

Hell I'm scared of the Libs getting within 1 of the senate.

The other thing that annoys me is after spending 3 years playing the player not the ball, and ensuring this election has very little to do with policy, Abbott is going to turn around and claim a mandate.

I'm at the point where I'll take whichever leader seems most likely keep Abbot out. Right now, that appears to be Rudd, though I admit, it looks like a long shot for either of them.

On the flip side, it's a bit depressing that it's come to this. It feels like there's a healthy measure of sexism in the massive swing again Gillard in the polls. Not that a reasonable person can't be against her, but the Australia she's lead has been generally prosperous and successful, and she hasn't had any real catastrophes. The incredibly low poll numbers don't seem reasonable. Especially when the opposition isn't especially impressive either.

But, yes, I agree, if Abbot absolutely has to be PM can we not have the Liberals in control of the senate? Please?

Shorten defects.

The factional kingpins that shafted Rudd have drafted him almost three years to the day.

For UK viewers, this is like Labour dumping Brown for Blair in February 2010.

Shorten defects.

The factional kingpins that shafted Rudd have drafted him almost three years to the day.

For UK viewers, this is like Labour dumping Brown for Blair in February 2010.

A colleague has been watching the sportsbet odds (because we don't have enough live odds in our lives already), and they have Rudd as almost certain to win at this point, which suggests that they have some sort of inside count. Every politician that I've heard who's willing to offer an opinion (other than too close to call) has tipped it in Rudd's favour as well. I think Labor's panicking pretty badly just now.

It's Rudd. 57-45.

Swan, Conroy, Emerson, Ludwig quit. (Sad as losing a talented politician like Julia Gillard is, most of these guys are no loss)

Deputy position open.

Wong Senate Leader.

Deputy contest is Crean vs Albo.

Urgh...would rather Albanese I guess.

Overall, this is the right result. Abbott is still certain to win in September (August?), but the number of Labor seats lost will be nowhere near as bad.

ETA: Have amended the thread title slightly...

Given the margin...would it almost have been a dead heat if Shorten hadn't jumped ship?

Much closer, but some Gillardists are saying they knew it was over beforehand, when most of the NSW Right (Clare, Thistlethwaite, David "Border Patrol" Bradbury) defected to save their skins.

This reminds me of the dying months of our 1984-1990 Labour Government, though in that case it was a leadership roll even closer to an election (six weeks out). Anyway, best of luck to Rudd. He'll need it.

I've been pouring cold water on Labor's chances all through this but it does need to be said that a win is actually possible now.

Albanese beats Simon "Numbers? Huh?" Crean 61-38. Rudd/Albanese leadership and Wong/Collins for Senate and House Leaders isn't a bad team. Just a pity Lindsay Tanner isn't around for Treasury.

Bleh. Combet resigns.

Archived