What/who is Quaithe? Her's/It's motivation?

Arya Wargface

Why do people even assume, that Sheira wants to help Dany? So far she has warned her of a ton of people, that came/wanted to come/are on the way to her with the best of intentions and offers (Quentyn, Moqorro, fAegon), that would have helped her retake Westeros.

Quaithe is known as a Shadowbinder. Which asks the question, what is a shadowbinder?

Is it related to Asshai by the Shadow? ...probably somehow.

I think there is something in her name, Quaithe.

Qu-aithe

Queen-Wraithe

Dead Queen's ghost effectively. Lyanna?

Sorry if this has been brought up before, just a brainstorm.

Quaithe might be the Westerosi equivalent of a scammer, and she's just going to mug Daenerys when she shows up. She probably sends the same message to almost everyone in Essos at one point or another and robs anyone who is dumb enough to actually go to a place called "Asshai-by-the-Shadow".

lol-- "Citizen of Essos... I need to transfer millions in gold from Asshai into your account, and you can keep 10% for yourself... please tell me your account number..."

Quaithe is known as a Shadowbinder. Which asks the question, what is a shadowbinder?

Is it related to Asshai by the Shadow? ...probably somehow.

I think there is something in her name, Quaithe.

Qu-aithe

Queen-Wraithe

Dead Queen's ghost effectively. Lyanna?

Sorry if this has been brought up before, just a brainstorm.

A shadow-binder can bind and bend shadows to his or her will.

If you think about it, whether or not quaithe is good, or bad. Whether she's real (i have my doubts, no evidence to support it though), or fake, one thing is certain, id liek to think:

Quaithe, as far as i can interpret, pretty much is Daenerys' impending madness taken form.

Think about it, she appears out of nowhere, tell Daenerys things that make her paranoid of the people around her, pretty much Quaithe plants the seeds that enable Daenerys to question everything she has going for her.

Pure crackpottery: Quaithe doesnt exist at all, and is just a projection in Daenerys' mind, Daenerys' literal madness, taken form.

Now i know thats not at all possible, but how does Quaithe, teleport, and then disappear again, out of nowhere?

It'd be a pure M Night Shyamalan twist, if Quaithe removed her lacquer mask, and it was actually Daenerys looking at Daenerys (all in her head)

(yes, i know none of it is possible, whether or not she's real though, Quaithe symbolizes Daenerys' growing paranoia and madness, she's pretty much feeding it to her, like Varys did with Aerys)

Pure crackpottery: Quaithe doesnt exist at all, and is just a projection in Daenerys' mind, Daenerys' literal madness, taken form.

Now i know thats not at all possible, but how does Quaithe, teleport, and then disappear again, out of nowhere?

Either glass candles or she IS Daenerys Durden. There. I said it

Quaithe could be one of her handmaids. if she was a handmaid, she could slip past her guards easily because her presence is normal.

Missandri would be perfect but I dont think she came into the story early enough.

I think Missandri is one of the faceless men because she is fluent in many languages like the FM and is wiser beyond her years. If she was one of the FM she could put on a mask and be Quaithe. but she didnt apear until the unsullied

It could be Irri or Jhiqui. Their histories have never been explained and they have pretty much total access to Dany

Quaithe could be one of her handmaids. if she was a handmaid, she could slip past her guards easily because her presence is normal.

Missandri would be perfect but I dont think she came into the story early enough.

I think Missandri is one of the faceless men because she is fluent in many languages like the FM and is wiser beyond her years. If she was one of the FM she could put on a mask and be Quaithe. but she didnt apear until the unsullied

It could be Irri or Jhiqui. Their histories have never been explained and they have pretty much total access to Dany

the presence of the lacquer mask makes it seem as if we already knowwho she is. we first meet her at quarth with xaro and pyatt pree.

could Quaithe be a projection of the warlocks maybe? i cant recall if Xaro acknowledges Quaithe, or if it's just Pyatt, but i think it' sunderstood the warlocks are in fact still hunting her after the Tower of the Undying.

If it's Dany Durden or any form of craziness why does it have a very physical/tangible plan like "go to Asshai"?

Edit: I agree with whoever said the mask implies that we know who Quaithe is.

i did :)

Daenerys doesn't recall a lot of her past -- a lot of her memories were told to her by Viserys. She remembers a "red door." Red, is a r'hllor staple. We know from her first chapter, Illyrio praises r'hllor when he sells her to Drogo (its just a single comment, but it's there).

There may be elements to her that were buried away -- and forgotten. i know followers of rhllor arent all shadowbinders, theyre separate.

If you think about it, whether or not quaithe is good, or bad. Whether she's real (i have my doubts, no evidence to support it though), or fake, one thing is certain, id liek to think:

Quaithe, as far as i can interpret, pretty much is Daenerys' impending madness taken form.

Think about it, she appears out of nowhere, tell Daenerys things that make her paranoid of the people around her, pretty much Quaithe plants the seeds that enable Daenerys to question everything she has going for her.

It'd be a pure M Night Shyamalan twist, if Quaithe removed her lacquer mask, and it was actually Daenerys looking at Daenerys (all in her head)

(yes, i know none of it is possible, whether or not she's real though, Quaithe symbolizes Daenerys' growing paranoia and madness, she's pretty much feeding it to her, like Varys did with Aerys)

I think that makes a whole lotta sense, best explanation ive seen, and a very good twist.

I think that makes a whole lotta sense, best explanation ive seen, and a very good twist.

the other side is that quaithe herself is acknowledged when she meets xaro/pyatt in her visit to quarth. unless xaro and pyatt never acknowledge quaithe personally?

Quaithe is real, at least at first...

Last of the three seekers to depart was Quaithe the shadowbinder. From her Dany received only a warning. "Beware," the woman in the red lacquer mask said.

"Of whom?"

"Of all. They shall come day and night to see the wonder that has been born again into the world, and when they see they shall lust. For dragons are fire made flesh, and fire is power."

When Quaithe too was gone, Ser Jorah said, "She speaks truly, my queen . . . though I like her no more than the others."

Daenerys II, Clash

Quaithe is real, at least at first...

Daenerys II, Clash

that's the kind of text i want to see and interpret, things like that. it would justify that Quaithe was real, at least at some point.

For me she is a key role that Martin has been hiding and playing after A Clash of Kings, maybe she has some relation with Melisandre, both are from Asshai by the Shadow. But she is real, Quaithe was mentioned when Dany was at Vaes Tolorro, when she arrived Qarth and finally when Dany saw the sorcerer disappear from a ladder.

Archived