A Dwarf's Perspective On Tyrion Lannister

Woman of War

I found the following text in another forum. I wanted to share this gem because it is beautifully written, highly insightful and so touching:

A few years ago I was out to coffee with my mother. We each brought a book as we usually do, and I was diving into a fantasy novel recommended by a friend. I read for a while, thoroughly engaged until I stopped abruptly. Well Shit A dwarf character. This did not bode well. I’m a dwarf, to be more specific I’m a picky, cantankerous dwarf. I’ve read dozens of books that tackle disabled characters, most of which were laughably terrible at capturing our experience. Some chose to fetishize the disability, contorting the character into some barely recognizable stereotype. Others de-emphasize the disability to the point that it may as well be hair color, some irrelevant trait of little interest. Neither does justice to the dwarf experience. So, when I discovered Tyrion I proceeded with trepidation, a hesitancy which lasted all of half a chapter. After only a few pages I realized I was reading perhaps the greatest, and most realistic disabled character I’ve ever read.

Tyrion’s experience, his language, his perspective was so shockingly true that I was taken aback. Throughout the book, Tyrion deals with issues intimately familiar to dwarfs. He struggles with self-hate, frustration, humiliation, an intense desire to be loved, prevailing feelings of otherness. Tyrion demonstrates traits so often cultivated by the dwarf experience, wit and self-deprecation, an insatiable desire to fill a space with one’s personality. More than anything else, one line of advice in the series speaks to the most frustrating, sometimes heartbreaking aspect of life as a dwarf:

Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you. Game of Thrones-Jon (I)

*The truth of it is this: To be a dwarf is to be burdened with certain preconceived cultural conceptions of dwarfism, making it in some ways a continual performance. * This performance is in my experience unavoidable. The dwarf as a source of tragedy or comedy is a very, very old idea. Going back to the origins of modern drama with Commedia Dell Arte, the dwarf has served as a source of either comedic relief or poignant tragedy. The Italian play Les Gobbi in the 1500’s utilized a variety of dwarf actors, each serving as absurd caricatures of difference preconceived elements of the dwarf. The tropes are many and enduring.

The dwarf as the sexual deviant, a conniving Imp driven by lusts and a gross desire to possess and destroy the beautiful. The dwarf as a tragic figure, god’s cruel jest, a pitiful creature who may find some semblance of revenge in the third act. The comic dwarf, the happy sprite who spreads cheer and lightens dramatic tensions, magical and sexless, perhaps offering some encouragement and inspiration as needed. These shallow dramatic conventions endure, and have seeped into the zeitgeist. In fact, these dramatic conventions are so well established people seem to expect to see them exhibited in real dwarfs, both in RL and in ASOIF. A dwarf can never just buy some socks, no act is neutral. A dwarf must either comically struggle in a mis-sized world, or buy socks as a heartbreaking testament to the unbreakable nature of the human spirit. The first seems more popular in Westeros, the latter the narrative of choice in RL. Dwarfs, disabled people in general are never allowed an act of banality. Everything is either comic, tragic, or an inspiration, we are perpetual actors in narrative not of our making. We are continually cast in these roles, and in modern life we all seem to cope in different ways. (As opposed to what dwarfs did for most of history IE. Get eaten or thrown down a well.)

Some dwarfs ignore these tropes, instead living their lives simply as they would, with little concern to what others expect of them. Others still passionately hate these stereotypes, and try to living in opposition to them. They strive to break preconceived notions, to present a decidedly different idea of what being a dwarf means. Yet another sub-group takes a unique approach, the approach I have endorsed my whole life.

Tyrion knows his lot. He understands what being a dwarf means in his world. He has decided to embody these tropes, to accentuate the very real elements of comedy, tragedy and perversity which are inherent to the disable experience. He has adopted these roles, as protection in a world full to the brim with inhumanity. He becomes what others believe him to be, thus protecting the most vulnerable parts of himself. Tyrion is heart-breakingly lonely, profoundly unsatisfied with life, desperate to be seen as a full person. Yet as a kind of consolation, he has come to find some enjoyment in playing the motley fool, the perverse and lustful Imp, a fearless half-man of infinite wit. I think he even performs for himself, indulging in melodrama within his own internal monologue. (Ask “Where do whores go?” one more goddamned time…)

Now I’m no Tyrion. I’m obviously far less intelligent, if not slightly redeemed by my having a nose. We do share a great deal however. I too have found a kind of peace in embracing the roles others would force on me. If I am to be cast as the jester, then I shall play the role as best I can. There is a kind of refuge in embracing and transforming expectations, filling a role that is larger and older then yourself. Public attention and gawking is just a part of being a dwarf. It is far better than to yell “Look at me!”, command a room, and seize control of the moment. I’m intrinsically tragic, intrinsically comic, these are true element my life extended to their greatest extent. I can no more escape these roles then escape my disability. I’ve tried to explore these expectations, and turn them to my advantage. Learning to play with this narrative, to inhabit all that comes with this role is deeply satisfying. It is appropriation of a sort. That I imagine is a part of the appeal for Tyrion.

There is a form of liberation to be found in performance, even if it is in a role forced upon us. It is better to make people laugh then be laughed at, to attract attention by our words then our form. Agency is an infinitely valuable commodity, an all too rare thing for people with disabilities during any time. It allows for a transformation, a special kind of magic unique to being a dwarf. The world is our audience, paradoxically quick to listen intently to what we have to say, and just as quick to dismiss it.

Every dwarf may be a bastard, but we are all equally the clown, the tragic foil, the monster, and yes the Imp. I feel as if I’ve inherited a unique role, passed down for centuries. An odd sort of inheritance I’ll grant you, but one that can be absurdly fun. So when I saw George R.R Martin’s take on the dwarf experience, I immediately placed him as one of the greatest writers of our time, possessing a unique creative empathy so central to this series.

Tyrion as a character has made me better understand being a dwarf, and come to more fully appreciate its unique value as an experience. He has taught me to better appreciate my gifts, and cultivate them. For better or worse, my disability dominates who I am. I am a dwarf. I’ll play the role as best as I am able, enjoy every capricious minute, and ride my dog into the sunset.

TL'DR: Tyrion is easily one of the best representations of the dwarf experience precisely because he acknowledges the roles others would place on him. His life becomes in essence a performance, transcending and transforming the tired tropes forced upon him by the ignorant.

Edit: Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this. I know its a bit long, but your guys have been incredible. Night!

Edit Again: I thought this was incredibly relevant, The Original Lion of Lannister: Dwarf sitting on the floor by Diego Velazquez (1645) http://i.imgur.co

This link to Velazquez should work:

http://wp.patheos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/blogs/cultivare/files/2012/09/VelasquezDwarf.jpg

I do not know if it is ok with the mods to show the link to the forum where I found this but it feels like academic fraud if I do not give the proper source. Mods?

i wonder if this so very beautiful post impressed you as much as it impressed me.

This is a very interesting perspective. It has made me realize that for all my examining characters and symbols, I haven't given any thought to analyzing the dwarf!

The dwarf as the sexual deviant, a conniving Imp driven by lusts and a gross desire to possess and destroy the beautiful. The dwarf as a tragic figure, god's cruel jest, a pitiful creature who may find some semblance of revenge in the third act. The comic dwarf, the happy sprite who spreads cheer and lightens dramatic tensions, magical and sexless, perhaps offering some encouragement and inspiration as needed.

These stereotypes all apply to Tyrion, in one way or another. Then there is this: There is a form of liberation to be found in performance, even if it is in a role forced upon us. This sentence just screams Tyrion!

I think this sentence might explains Tyrion's loyalty to his family that so many on this board criticize (something I find completely unrealistic given the norms of Westeros): I feel as if I've inherited a unique role, passed down for centuries. It also explains why he tries to find a way to excel.

Nice find, Woman of War.

Excellent analysis of Tyrion. Thanks for posting this, Woman of War.

Yet as a kind of consolation, he has come to find some enjoyment in playing the motley fool, the perverse and lustful Imp, a fearless half-man of infinite wit. I think he even performs for himself, indulging in melodrama within his own internal monologue. (Ask “Where do whores go?” one more goddamned time…)

This bit is spot on.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, and this bit in particular:

Quote 1:

I’m intrinsically tragic, intrinsically comic, these are true element my life extended to their greatest extent. I can no more escape these roles then escape my disability. I’ve tried to explore these expectations, and turn them to my advantage. Learning to play with this narrative, to inhabit all that comes with this role is deeply satisfying.

Each of my favorite characters does this to one extent or another: Jon with his bastardy, Jaime with his title of kingslayer, and last but not least Tyrion with his dwarfism. All of these characters are burdened by disabilities not of their own choosing, yet all of them have consciously decided to face their misfortunes head on. It is their struggle with their afflictions that draws me in, and their eventual triumph over their adversities that I am hoping for.

Thanks for sharing, Woman of War.

I think many readers - or better said many posters here, I would not know about the majority of readers - fall into the present day RL trap and expect Tyrion the handicapped to be presented by the author as morally superior human being. This trope is quite popular in entertainment in my country because it is politically correct with the best intentions: the handicapped need "our" ("we" are not handicapped, of course) support in being accepted and this can only work if they are uplifted to be morally better. The condescending well meaning approach. The handicapped have to

.....buy socks as a heartbreaking testament to the unbreakable nature of the human spirit
, being on earth for the sole purpose to improve the morals of "us normals" by their brave saintlike example. This is their purpose in present day entertainment: Being a mere katalyst, accelerating a development in "us normals" without the right to change and to have their own very personal story that may not fulfill our expectations at all.

But the character Tyrion vehemently refuses this trope: he is so overwhelmigly himself, dark, embarrassing and disgusting as much as gracious, kind, witty and charming. A person, not a mere static katalyst. But a person whose life is, among other things, determined by being a dwarf.

Martin did not choose the easy way of the morally uplifting asexual model handicapped, the Uncle Tom character. Tyrion is not meant to be easy to digest, to enjoy and forget. Book Tyrion has no intentions to make things easy for his environment, just as the character Tyrion is not meant to be an easy read for us.

And now I feel really ashamed of not giving the link to where I found the text, I can only hope it is ok

http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/1fr588/spoilers_all_a_dwarfs_perspective_on_tyrion/

I think many readers - or better said many posters here, I would not know about the majority of readers - fall into the present day RL trap and expect Tyrion the handicapped to be presented by the author as morally superior human being. This trope is quite popular in entertainment in my country because it is politically correct with the best intentions: the handicapped need "our" ("we" are not handicapped, of course) support in being accepted and this can only work if they are uplifted to be morally better. The condescending well meaning approach. The handicapped have to , being on earth for the sole purpose to improve the morals of "us normals" by their brave saintlike example. This is their purpose in present day entertainment: Being a mere katalyst, accelerating a development in "us normals" without the right to change and to have their own very personal story that may not fulfill our expectations at all.

But the character Tyrion vehemently refuses this trope: he is so overwhelmigly himself, dark, embarrassing and disgusting as much as gracious, kind, witty and charming.

http://www.reddit.co...tive_on_tyrion/

I very much agree with the bolded. I do not like when people say he is basically a ''god guy'' which happens very often, so i'm very often reciting all the shit he's done to change this view, I think he's one of the most complex characters, I genuinely think he's the greyest of the grey, and for people to just lump him into either GREAT GUY or EVIL SHIT is very tiresome. I DON'T think he's a good guy, but he isn't evil and can do good acts and is intelligent.

Woman of War, thank you so much for sharing this piece with us! I don't think I have ever read a Tyrion analysis written from this unique perspective before. Even though we covered many angles during Tyrion's reread I feel this wonderful piece prompts me to contemplate Tyrion's own advice to Jon in quite a different manner.

So far I've been inclined to see him as one who doesn't follow his own advice (no matter how good it is), mainly because Tyrion's own vulnerability and insecurity towards his dwarfness is something that gets the better of him time and time again. In other words, I didn't consider that he made his condition as much an armor as he wanted to pretend he did. I think I was interpreting the idea of dwarfness as an armor as being able make the condition your own and being able to withstand mockery without being particularly afflicted by it and even make it an asset when convenience (kind of what Jon does with his bastard status later on). My error was perhaps not considering that Tyrion's embodiment oof the tropes associated with dwarfism were an armor in itself:

He has decided to embody these tropes, to accentuate the very real elements of comedy, tragedy and perversity which are inherent to the disable experience. He has adopted these roles, as protection in a world full to the brim with inhumanity. He becomes what others believe him to be, thus protecting the most vulnerable parts of himself. Tyrion is heart-breakingly lonely, profoundly unsatisfied with life, desperate to be seen as a full person. Yet as a kind of consolation, he has come to find some enjoyment in playing the motley fool, the perverse and lustful Imp, a fearless half-man of infinite wit. I think he even performs for himself, indulging in melodrama within his own internal monologue. (Ask “Where do whores go?” one more goddamned time…)

Tyrion's insecurities are way deeper than Jon's. He himself tells him that- At fourteen you'll already taller than I'll ever be.

Anyway, I really like posts that make me contemplate something in a different manner and this one just did, so thanks.

ETA-

Basically this. Although what really pisses me off is when someone presents Tyrion as the worst person to ever live in Westeros, and then go on about how "redeemed" Jaime and Sandor are...

LOL Couldn't agree more!

A fascinating read that will definitely impact any reading of Tyrion I have in future. I'm not sure I can add anything to the discussion that hasn't been eloquently discussed already, but I will say that aside from being an often painfully accurate depiction of the disabled experience (as I understand it), Tyrion also reflects every person who has ever felt displaced in society, be they truly displaced or of the mindframe of someone displaced.

Basically this. Although what really pisses me off is when someone presents Tyrion as the worst person to ever live in Westeros, and then go on about how "redeemed" Jaime and Sandor are...

I think the explination of that is not so much that Tyrion is handicapped, but that the Imp lost a lot of fanboys in ADWD.

I know I grew wholeheartedly tired of reading "where do whores go" again and again while all we saw Tyrion mainly doing in his long LONG chapters was drinking, vomitting and taking pisses.

I can only imagine what it must've been like for true fanboys, they must've become rather disgusted considering Tyrion in previous books was all about witticisms, wisecracks, foul mouthery and sexy-time with Shae, all the while experiencing life-death situations and adventures.

Archived