Ser Loras Tyrell (Spoilers if you have not read AFFC)

SandSnakes82

Well, I had the displeasure of finding out that Ser Loras Tyrell was severely wounded in the assault on Dragonstone. Apparently, after being impaled in the leg and shoulder then having his chest smashed in by a mace

and finally being doused in boiling oil, Loras is barely alive. I am never surprised when characters die; no one is safe in the game of thrones. However, I hate when my favorites die.

Can anyone, without spoiling A Dance with Dragons too much, confirm whether his fate has been revealed ?

I cannot imagine waiting for GRRM’s next book to find out what happens to him. I know I should just keep reading but I’ve been on vacation for the last 2 weeks and I’ve spent all my time reading the first four books ,back to back, to be honest I’m a little burned-out.

Yeah, but the theory around here is that he's much alive and him and the rest of the Tyrells are aiming to do something in secrecy from the Lannisters who think him disabled.

Yeah, GRRM and his endless cliffhangers, it's really chafing.

I really wonder where Loras story will go now, not sure if GRRM even knows (he says he knows the way for his mains but not for all the minors), but have kinda given up on the Tyrell conspiracy theory when the 2014 ASOIAF calendar title was revealed.

I also would love to know what that insane Loras-Jaime parallels built up was about that was dropped like a hot potato (or is just on hold?). Then GRRM is babbling about Sandor-Loras connections (to some Dunk&Egg character IIRC?), which makes sense if he is similary disfigured but otherwise comes a bit out of nowhere.

Sigh,good Lord! Is there an ETA on The Winds Of Winter, is there any chance we'll see the book late this year or perhaps early 2014?

Didn't know Dorne liked the Tyrells since the 'maiming' of Willas Tyrell, judging your avatar ;).

But in all seriousness, I really find Loras' story to be interesting. Hope to see more of him!

I am hoping that Loras is still alive, and that the allusion that he is on his death bed at Dragonstone is only a clever ploy of the Tyrells to get one up over the Lannisters.

I find the character to be interesting (along with Margery), so fingers crossed that GRRM doesn't kill him off in WoW.

• 2 weeks later...

Who knows, who knows.... there are so many characters whose fate is not known: Loras, Jon, Sandor, hell even Stannis, Theon, Mance, Ramsay, Jaqen, Daenerys, Daario, Darkstar, Jojen .... deffo a lot of waiting for us in store!

• 2 weeks later...

He's not dead, seriously wounded is not dead (or so said Margaery).

We know he is not dead, (according to Aurane Waters) we are wondering if he will remain that way. If we are to believe what Aurane says, he has sustained substantial injuries. I am hoping he is will survive. Loras Tyrell is a gifted warrior, I find it hard to believe he would make so many egregious errors; however, he is young and arrogant. Perhaps that is his hamartia. What are the chances that Aurane is working with the Tyrell’s? Then again, he fled kings landing after Cersei’s imprisonment.

• 3 months later...

Aurane Waters hasn't been seen for awhile. After reading it through several times, I don't think Loras was wounded at all. Like Sand Snakes 82, it is difficult to believe that Loras would be so reckless. This is the same guy who rode a mare in heat to challenge Sandor on one of his "bad tempered" stallions.

However, will he have to fight Gregorstein/Robert Strong?

Yeah, GRRM and his endless cliffhangers, it's really chafing.

I really wonder where Loras story will go now, not sure if GRRM even knows (he says he knows the way for his mains but not for all the minors), but have kinda given up on the Tyrell conspiracy theory when the 2014 ASOIAF calendar title was revealed.

I also would love to know what that insane Loras-Jaime parallels built up was about that was dropped like a hot potato (or is just on hold?). Then GRRM is babbling about Sandor-Loras connections (to some Dunk&Egg character IIRC?), which makes sense if he is similary disfigured but otherwise comes a bit out of nowhere.

I didn't know that GRRM has said something about Sandor-Loras connections, what did he say? But I don't think it comes out of nowhere. There are a few parallels between Sandor and Loras: they both won tournaments when they (unexpectedly?) unhorsed Jaime Lannister; they were both on the receiving end of Gregor's violence/murder attempt; they have both been objects of Sansa's romantic interest; and the contrasts are really obvious, Loras' famous good looks, high birth, and gallantry vs Sandor's famous lack of any of these. While Sandor was burned as a child and it shaped his personality, Loras' beauty was a part of his identity and reputation, but now that he's lost it (and from the description we got, he probably looks much worse than Sandor now), there are inevitably going to be big changes for Loras.

While they don't have any particular connection to each other apart from the time when Sandor saved Loras from Gregor back at the beginning of AGOT and Loras pronounced him the winner of the tournament, and they don't play any other role in each other's arcs, they were paralleled and contrasted through the perceptions of others, primarily Sansa, in regards to the "true knight from the songs" role, which Loras seemed to embody, while Sandor subverts as he appears pretty much the opposite of what it's supposed to be; and they got compared in her thoughts in ASOS ("as different as flower from a dog") with Sansa's infatuation with Loras contrasted with her growing feelings for Sandor (even in AFFC she tries to fantasize about Loras but ends up fantasizing about Sandor). Since Sansa is a more major character than either of the guys, this is an important parallel even if it doesn't play any role in their own arc.

Aurane Waters hasn't been seen for awhile. After reading it through several times, I don't think Loras was wounded at all. Like Sand Snakes 82, it is difficult to believe that Loras would be so reckless. This is the same guy who rode a mare in heat to challenge Sandor on one of his "bad tempered" stallions.

However, will he have to fight Gregorstein/Robert Strong?

You mean Gregor.

It's possible that Loras has become more reckless after Renly's death - maybe there's a little bit of a subconscious death wish there, or if not tha extreme, an overcompensation for his perceived failure in protecting his king and lover.

But I don't think it comes out of nowhere.

Yes, you're right, I was hyperbolic. As a mental gymnastic/masturbation issue for Sansa the Sandor-Loras connection is obviously there. I was meaning viewed from the boys own storyarcs it's a bit random, like you said, and I'm just disappointed that the Jaime-Loras connection that is in the Loras story doesn't lead to anything.

Also I was wrong about GRRM connecting Sandor and Loras to a D&E character, he connects them to a character (Bretan Braith) of his first published novel "The Dying of the Light" (Yes, I totally bought this and read it because I'm obsessed with Loras Tyrell, but don't tell anyone :blushing: ). It's a sci-fi-fantasy with light sabers and stuff, but BB is a young horribly disfigured knight/jedi whatever, who tries to avenge his "husband" (m/m is the norm for "nobility" on that planet, with chicks just on the side as breeding salves). There isn't much other similarities but it made me think Loras is really disfigured now and probably sporting a gemstone eye and some unholy thoughts about a Loras/Brynden endgame, because Bretan's late hubby is a white haired much older dude. :eek:

Personally I don't think Loras is going to be a character who's fate is particularly significant. It was suggested on another forum that Loras never fought at Dragonstone, that he went and got Redwyne and his fleet and took them to the Reach to fight off the Iron Islanders and then concocted a story about being injurred to explain his absence, which sounds good to me.

This would then also leave Edric Storm alive and well inside an un-beseiged Dragonstone and I think he will end up being a very significant character in the future of Westeros, because we have known of him for some time but nothing has happened to him, which for me is a flag for someone who GRRM has a yet to be revealed purpose for.

As Jon Arryn said "The seed is strong."

I'm re-reading DwD, but there is always the chance that some off hand character under a different name could be Loras in this book. I mean he is totally disfigured so there is the chance that he is in DwD, but we don't realize it's him. He may be hiding his whereabouts in an effort to bring trouble to the Lannisters as payback.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Everyone cries over this flower "Loras" of House "Tyrell", but where are the posts of the former First Sword of Bravos, Syrio Forel?! We may not have seen the last of him. MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA- what.....? Like definitly gone..........? You sure........? Oh...... Well...... Nevermind....

I believe Loras may be disfigured like Waters said, but I'm not gonna lie guys... I just found out about 15 seconds ago that Syrio Forel is dead so... yea...

Archived