Americanisms

mankytoes

As an Englishman, I find it cool how the books are based partly on my country's history, and was a little surprised they are written by an American. Which is probably a bit harsh, but also maybe a compliment that his culture hasn't seeped in. The only thing that has jarred me is quite minor and really random- the use of the word cunt in a sexist way, as notably monologued about by Asha. In Britain, it's mainly used against men, hence it being a little less tabboo. Of course there's no reason Westeros couldn't share that use of language, it just struck me as very "other side of the Atlantic". Any other examples?

I believe that the actual size and climate of Westeros is a distinctly American influence - it may look like Scotland, but it's comparable in size to Europe or even South America. There are a handful of nations in the world large enough to have a cultural expectation that contiguous nations equal small continents: Russia, Canada, Brazil, China, India, Australia, and the USA. I do think his American background influenced GRRM's worldbuilding - there just aren't that many countries with both the extreme variations in local climate and the sheer size of climactic zones as found in Westeros.

I don't agree about the use of the C word. It is still taboo (possible one of the most taboo swear words in Britain imo.) and definitely used in a sexist way against women as well as men. The only place I've seen it used liberally is on the internet, I've never heard anyone say it in real life as it just wouldn't be appropriate. I suppose it probably depends on where in the UK you are.

I don't agree about the use of the C word. It is still taboo (possible one of the most taboo swear words in Britain imo.) and definitely used in a sexist way against women as well as men. The only place I've seen it used liberally is on the internet, I've never heard anyone say it in real life as it just wouldn't be appropriate. I suppose it probably depends on where in the UK you are.

All I'll say is don't go to Hull! Presumably you mean the internet and Clayton Suggs (was that his name or did I just pull that out my arse?).

What's the nipples on a breastplate expression?

I didn't mean geographically, I meant culturally. Martin has stated much of his inspiration comes from the War of the Roses era, up to clear big references like Lancaster/Lannister and Stark/York. Sigils, castles, feudalism... If you read English and British history you'll see a lot of paralells.

I'm from the UK too, and I've only ever heard Americans use the C word to refer to a woman.

Can you tell from the huge scale of Westeros and Essos that these books were written by an American? Or is that just my personal prejudice?

I suspect that the Seven Kingdoms would have been a lot smaller if the series had been written by a Dane.

I'm from the UK too, and I've only ever heard Americans use the C word to refer to a woman.

As an American I think the word is becoming more and more common in a joking manner among friends thanks to the influx of British and Australian comedy in recent years.

But calling a woman a cunt is most definitely one of only three really offensive words you can call someone (the other two being nigger and kike inmo)

As an Englishman, I find it cool how the books are based partly on my country's history, and was a little surprised they are written by an American. Which is probably a bit harsh, but also maybe a compliment that his culture hasn't seeped in. The only thing that has jarred me is quite minor and really random- the use of the word cunt in a sexist way, as notably monologued about by Asha. In Britain, it's mainly used against men, hence it being a little less tabboo. Of course there's no reason Westeros couldn't share that use of language, it just struck me as very "other side of the Atlantic". Any other examples?

I'd argue the diversity of westiros is inspired by American. And the Electoral system of Pentos is a comment on the Electoral process here in America. As far as cunt goes I'd say its used more derogatory than sexist or to refer to anatomy then just a slight aginst women. But if u want it to be sexist you can take it that way if u want. Personally I say cunt all the time in just about every way possible. It's a fun word

I'd argue the diversity of westiros is inspired by American. And the Electoral system of Pentos is a comment on the Electoral process here in America. As far as cunt goes I'd say its used more derogatory than sexist or to refer to anatomy then just a slight aginst women I see it being used towards Asha as a remind she's a woman. But if u want it to be sexist you can take it that way if u want. Personally I say cunt all the time in just about every way possible. It's a fun word

i always thought the "c" word has a funny connotation. cock is not bad. ive been called a cock and did not flip my lid. cock is a male genitalia. cunt is a women genitalia. it used to be a word that invoked a powerful response and appreciation of women, but men (being men, and patriarchal) decided (much like the christians turned the pagan holiday of the sun god into jesus's birthday just to fuck the pagans up) to start using the word to demean women and make them fearful of their own beauty. i still consider it a compliment. but i dont like society "rules" anyway. ive seen too much of humanity to believe in society.

i always thought the "c" word has a funny connotation. cock is not bad. ive been called a cock and did not flip my lid. cock is a male genitalia. cunt is a women genitalia. it used to be a word that invoked a powerful response and appreciation of women, but men (being men, and patriarchal) decided (much like the christians turned the pagan holiday of the sun god into jesus's birthday just to fuck the pagans up) to start using the word to demean women and make them fearful of their own beauty. i still consider it a compliment. but i dont like society "rules" anyway. ive seen too much of humanity to believe in society.

Yes I love Cunt, t'is a fab word and I am proud to have one, frankly its one of the best things in the world, feels amazing for sex and is the gateway of life into the world. Nothing to feel shame for or be considered a derogatory thing IMO

Viva la cunt.

On the OP I had rather anglocentrically I know assumed GRRM was British at first as when I looked at westeros I saw Scotland, Hadriens Wall, the North with Winterfell - York and its more stoic salt of the earth types, and the South with KL- London and the flashy, dishonest southerners. Woops.

rather shamefuly.

U in words refers to Anglo spelling such as Colour

another one is Z in things which I would spell with an S recognise and recognize for instance. and yes it catches me out and throws me off every time.

Archived