Who has the most right to the Iron Throne

BlackBrother55

Wrong, it's Stannis of course. There have been quite a lot op topics about it, and a lot of discussions have eventually lead to this question. Mostly it's about the Targs losing their birthright because they were defeated (right of conquest) and everyone bent the knee to Robert. But I agree Targs still have a birthright, but the birthright of Stannis' and Shireens are better at the moment. (my opinion)

Who(by birthright, at least)has the greatest claim to the iron Throne?

As for me, I'd choose Dany, the Targaryens were the rulers of Westeros long before Robert Baratheon ever set eyes on the throne.

By birthright, someone with Targaryen blood. Since they lost the throne to Robert Baratheon, the Baratheons. Robert was chosen because he got some Targ blood though, so...

Who(by birthright, at least)has the greatest claim to the iron Throne?

As for me, I'd choose Dany, the Targaryens were the rulers of Westeros long before Robert Baratheon ever set eyes on the throne.

By birthright? At the time of ACOK's start?

It is actually Joffrey, unsatisfying as that answer is for pretty much everyone. The Targaryens lost their claim to the Baratheons by right of conquest. The only challenger to Joffrey's birthright is of course Stannis, but there is the little matter of a complete lack of proof.

Stannis could conceivably call for a Greater Council, similar to the one mentioned in Jon's first ACOK chapter. That would make his claim lawful, but is a dicey proposition at best; it is ultimately a call for arbitration based on political popularity, and it is not at all clear that Stannis is well-tolerated enough by the Westerosi Lords to have an actual chance, even in the absence of, as Tyrion puts it, "a very large (Lannister) army" to twist the balance towards Joffrey's claim.

So in practice Stannis is as much of an attempter of claim by right of conquest as Renly, Balon, Daenerys or Robert himself.

Unfair? Perhaps, although I have no desire whatsoever to see Stannis succeed or even survive. But such is the nature of throne birthrights: they just don't make any sense.

Well, you could argue that whoever has the throne is the rightful king, in which case it'd be Joffrey. But for me, it's Stannis. I do agree with Davos that he'd also be the best king. He wouldn't be a great ruler himself, but unlike Robert, who had a talent for surrounding himself with great men and ignoring their advice, Stannis strikes me as the sort who would listen to men like Davos.

In my opinion, they should grant independance to the North. For the rest of the Seven Kingdoms I would like Stannis to be the ruler, if he can control that witch of him. Maybe Daenerys can make her own kingdom in the Free Cities, a mixt of dothraki, exiled knights of Westeros, traders and everyone who would follow the mother of dragons. But I think she will finally come to Westeros, and maybe reconqueer it. She is better than Greyjoy or Joffrey, but I think Stannis can be king just as well as her. I am between the 2 of them.

In my opinion, they should grant independance to the North. For the rest of the Seven Kingdoms I would like Stannis to be the ruler, if he can control that witch of him. Maybe Daenerys can make her own kingdom in the Free Cities, a mixt of dothraki, exiled knights of Westeros, traders and everyone who would follow the mother of dragons. But I think she will finally come to Westeros, and maybe reconqueer it. She is better than Greyjoy or Joffrey, but I think Stannis can be king just as well as her. I am between the 2 of them.

Well, yes, Robb Stark would be the best ruler of the north. Culturaly there are a lot of differances between it and the rest of the seven kingdoms.

• 4 months later...

Daenerys knows nothing about "her" Seven Kingdoms and she did'nt want know any important things about them. I think.

Stannis Baratheon is - is Westerosi. He lived there. He know every single lord's military power and how many has he bannermen.

Not Daenerys then. My vote for - Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!

It is actually Joffrey, unsatisfying as that answer is for pretty much everyone. The Targaryens lost their claim to the Baratheons by right of conquest. The only challenger to Joffrey's birthright is of course Stannis, but there is the little matter of a complete lack of proof.

Stannis could conceivably call for a Greater Council, similar to the one mentioned in Jon's first ACOK chapter. That would make his claim lawful, but is a dicey proposition at best; it is ultimately a call for arbitration based on political popularity, and it is not at all clear that Stannis is well-tolerated enough by the Westerosi Lords to have an actual chance, even in the absence of, as Tyrion puts it, "a very large (Lannister) army" to twist the balance towards Joffrey's claim.

So in practice Stannis is as much of an attempter of claim by right of conquest as Renly, Balon, Daenerys or Robert himself.

Unfair? Perhaps, although I have no desire whatsoever to see Stannis succeed or even survive. But such is the nature of throne birthrights: they just don't make any sense.

There are a lot of answers to this question around here, but first time I see an answer as inclusive as yours.

I also agree with the bold part.

I think your stanhate is talking over your mind man.. you hate him in every post, i mean common there should be limit to the hate and always saying renly is right, always remember "Renly is not right".

• 4 weeks later...

Stannis, by rights & birth at the moment. He may be cold calculated and oft-times cruel, but he has one of the more open minds in the series, he actually can take advice from other people without pulling the "im king, i do what i want" card.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived