Who has the most right to the Iron Throne

BlackBrother55

In the truest sense, Stannis has the rightful claim to the throne. At first, my preference was for the Renly-Robb alliance, however, neither Stannis nor Joffrey were at all to my liking. During the Battle of Blackwater (I'm just finishing it up now), I tended simply to root for Tyrion. Until Stannis ditches Mel, I can't see him being a good King.

Whoever manages the win the war - because the winner gets to sell whatever crap about their birthright as the official truth.

Birthrights are relative, anyway.

Hey you! Well, we agree on this. The Targs only had rights because they took it by force, their reign was 300 years. The 7K had monarchies before that for thousands of years. The Targs lost their rights the moment everybody bent the knee to big Bob. Now whoever wins is the rightful king. Dany's only claim is her dragons, Stannis's only claim is that he has a good chance of winning, Tommen's only claim is Tyrell back-up and he's wearing the crown right now. When the Others show up, who knows, random ice dude. We will see.

Since Robert Baratheon left no rightful heir ot the throne, the older borther remaining, therefore Stannis Baratheon, should be by right the new king.

But he is so stern and uncharismatic that his claim is easily put under the carpet, even by his own brother Renly.

Daenery Targaryen has a claim to contend however, since the Targaryen were once the rulers of the 7 Kingdoms. But they were defeated by Robert's alliance. The last of the Targaryen has to prove that she can take back the realm. Fow now a Baratheon should be sit on the Iron Throne, rightfully Stannis even if most of the kingdom do not want him for a king.

• 2 weeks later...

As people have said, no proclaimed king in Westeros can actually back themselves up with "right to the throne".

At the start of aCoK, I was expecting a Robb-Renly alliance, although

: about half of aCoK

the short talks between Catelyn and Renly showed Renly wouldn't like to lose the northern half of Westeros by any chance,

and Robb didn't show us how much he is Eddard Stark reborn; we've only seen war leader Robb, not governor Robb.

Although I wouldn't mind Tyrion claiming the kingdom if his Lannister sister and father and cousin and nephews died, lol

: end of aCoK

Also, am I the only one who hates the lack of loyalty of Mace Tyrell? The Tyrells didn't show up much in the first two books, but they were pro-Renly then pro-Stannis then suddenly pro-Joffrey. Come on!

Finally, @whoever said the North should be emancipated, wouldn't it be fair to free the already-almost-independent Dorne territory too? What about the Iron Islands? Everyone would want some kingship for breakfast.

I think the answer to this is indicated by the nature of the Iron Throne itself, manufactured from the swords of those vanquished in its taking, yet still capable of drawing blood from its current occupant. Its right belongs to he, and his heirs, whose swords remain intact in its taking.

My favourite character is Stannis, his Red priestess, Onion Knight and all so naturally I support him/

However, if we are truly examining who has the right the the throne, the answer is no-one and everyone.

Its kind of like Vary's riddle about power. Depending on your perspective you will fight for someone or something. But ultimately that doesn't make any other person or reason less valid.

All the principle players believe they have claims to the Iron Throne, The North, The Iron Isles etc, and because of the nature of their society and the institutions within them people will support one or the other for various reasons.

Ultimately the whole thing is a fiction though.

Nobody has a true claim, even Dany, she has a right because 300 odd years ago a guy came over with his sisters and dragons and forged a Kingdom, what about before that? What about before the first men appeared? What about before the Wall was built or the children of the forests were running around?

You can find reasons to support and deny each character as you see fit ... that's why its a Game ... A Game of Thrones.

• 1 month later...

Since Robert Baratheon left no rightful heir ot the throne, the older borther remaining, therefore Stannis Baratheon, should be by right the new king.

Robert Baratheon rebelled and took the throne by force, which is why Dany always refers to him as 'usurper'. Stannis therefore has no more claim than Joffrey.

Obviously its Stannis Baratheon. His family won the Iron Throne through right of conquest. Robert Baratheon was the King and supposedly had 3 children; Joffrey, Myrcella and Tommon. As we know, these children were born of an incest relationship between Queen Cersei and Jaime Lannister. Stannis and Renly are younger brothers of Roberts, but Stannis is the older of the two which makes him the rightful King of Westeros.

This nonsense crap about Danearys being the rightful ruler of Westeros is rubbish. Her family were defeated and lost the Iron Throne through right of conquest. Her family were the reason they lost the throne because the King was seduced into madness and did some horrific things. The Targaryens didnt deserve to be on the throne. Danearys has been wondering around Essos preaching she is the Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, but really, shes the Queen of nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Well if the Baratheon's deserve it through right of conquest, then what about if Dany and her dragons win it back? Then she'd be queen through right of conquest. So basically it's as it's been said, the throne belongs to whoever has the bigger, better army to take it by force. So really there's no such thing as a rightful heir until everyone else with an army and a mind to rule is gone except for the person sitting it.

Well if the Baratheon's deserve it through right of conquest, then what about if Dany and her dragons win it back? Then she'd be queen through right of conquest. So basically it's as it's been said, the throne belongs to whoever has the bigger, better army to take it by force. So really there's no such thing as a rightful heir until everyone else with an army and a mind to rule is gone except for the person sitting it.

i think it's implied that it's excluding right of conquest. joffrey and tommen never should have happened.

By previous right of conquest, Robert has no heirs. If one of his bastards were legitimized, they'd have more right than even Stannis. Didn't Maggy say he had like, thirteen? As of right now, the only person aware of their parentage, is Edric Storm. If Edric can somehow get legitimized, he's rightful heir above all else at the moment (even Stannis, which is why he thought Edric was so dangerous).

Archived