Did Robert hold a grudge against Aerys?

Ser Leftwich

I doubt that... It has never been mentioned, and Robert was angry at Rhaegar solely because of Lyanna

And what Aerys did to his best friend's father and brother along with Aerys calling for his head when he committed no crime.

Um, I think it's safe to say that Robert disliked Aerys. I'm not sure how much blame you can place on Aerys for the fact that the Baratheon's ship sank, but I'm sure you could find some way of forcing it on him. Maybe he hired a red wizard or a maegi, or sent a Faceless Man to torpedo it.

Um, I think it's safe to say that Robert disliked Aerys. I'm not sure how much blame you can place on Aerys for the fact that the Baratheon's ship sank, but I'm sure you could find some way of forcing it on him. Maybe he hired a red wizard or a maegi, or sent a Faceless Man to torpedo it.

It is a not a question of how it happened and I don't think that Robert would believe that Aerys wanted Steffon/Cassana to die. Neither do I think that Aerys did cause the ship to sink.

Robert could very easily think, "if Aerys did not ask them to go look for a bride, they would not have been on the ship."

"If stupid Rhaegar couldn't just settle for someone from Westeros, they would not have been on the ship."

"Wow, my parent died and Aerys settled on that sickly Martell woman for Rhaegar anyway."

I am just imagining the possibility that Robert might have had some animosity towards Targaryen's before the Rhaegar/Lyanna incident and the calling for heads.

It is a not a question of how it happened and I don't think that Robert would believe that Aerys wanted Steffon/Cassana to die. Neither do I think that Aerys did cause the ship to sink.

Robert could very easily think, "if Aerys did not ask them to go look for a bride, they would not have been on the ship."

"If stupid Rhaegar couldn't just settle for someone from Westeros, they would not have been on the ship."

"Wow, my parent died and Aerys settled on that sickly Martell woman for Rhaegar anyway."

I am just imagining the possibility that Robert might have had some animosity towards Targaryen's before the Rhaegar/Lyanna incident and the calling for heads.

We know that at Harrenhal, after his parents' death, he was still an avid Targ supporter though, swearing to find the Knight of the Laughing Tree for Aerys... so I'd say it's unlikely he blamed the Targs for his parents' death.

We know that at Harrenhal, after his parents' death, he was still an avid Targ supporter though, swearing to find the Knight of the Laughing Tree for Aerys... so I'd say it's unlikely he blamed the Targs for his parents' death.

The way the story is worded by Meera, Robert does not say he is doing it for Aerys, just that he would unmask the KotLT. That being said, it was one aspect that was/is worrying my about this theory/angle of Robert's "Targaryen issues."

Along another avenue, is/was Robert looking for validation from Aerys or just validation in general? (in Robert's reason for vowing to unmask the KotLT.)

And what Aerys did to his best friend's father and brother along with Aerys calling for his head when he committed no crime.

The question was does he hold a grudge because of death of his parents. Certainly he holds a grudge because of Aerys demanded his head...

Archived