R+L=J v.53

Stubby

A couple of other peeves with the show before the Mods. tell us to take it to the HBO thread.

I did not like how they treated the RW because I don't know if they were trying make Robb look like an utter fool, or were going for the "shock and awe" in having a pregnant Talisa murdered with the rest.

I think the text stood alone on the merits of Robbs poor decision in alienating the Freys by breaking the betrothal, and the ensuing slaughter, but at least book Robb had the sense to leave Jeyne behind.

TV Robb is bringing his wife who is pregnant with the Crown Prince in the North to a wedding where the family of his former betrothed are going to be?

Really?

I'm not sure if anyone would do that today much less then when anger management classes, or counseling on " How to forgive and live a revenge-free life," were not exactly available.

That's one of many instances that has made me dubious about this process.

On the Martells, that is quite right.

Unless Selmy brings Dany, (i.e., the fans), up to speed on what happened with Rhaegars family, then no one is going to know who Elia is, much less the Red Viper.

Aside from the show, I do think the Martells are playing their own game, and while they "support" the Targaryens, I think they view them as a means to an end, and when there is a key component like Jon who embodies just about all avenue "bloodlines" of the kingdom, including the Martells through Rhaegar, Jons character becomes much too significant to be a fishermans daughter with Ned Stark.

Shoot, since we're talking about the show in relation to the thread topic, was I the only one who was somewhat irritated by that Jon/Sam scene where they are cleaning the table and have to talk about Ros and her tits? Did they think her pair was so splendid they just had to write a scene to announce them?

Wouldn't it have been so much better if they e.g. had a scene where Jon discussed his dreams with Sam, like he did somewhere in the books? Anything was a better bonding moment than that scene. Could it be that 3 scenes were dedicated to Jon's virginity? One with Sam, and even two with Ygritte? Geesh, overkill. At least use good scenes from the books if you have the room for them.

Sex scenes/naked people are the priority in this show, especially since the second season.

It became really ridiculous at some point and even made me mad, like that scene with Podrick and the hoes. Really? It was completely pointless and it just slows the story and takes out of good scenes they could be working on.

It's a tactic for sure - let's just show lots of sex because even if the unsullied have no idea what's going on, they will come back for the nudity.

It's almost offensive to the deph of GRRM work and book readers who knows the sequence of events.

A couple of other peeves with the show before the Mods. tell us to take it to the HBO thread.

I did not like how they treated the RW because I don't know if they were trying make Robb look like an utter fool, or were going for the "shock and awe" in having a pregnant Talisa murdered with the rest.

I think the text stood alone on the merits of Robbs poor decision in alienating the Freys by breaking the betrothal, and the ensuing slaughter, but at least book Robb had the sense to leave Jeyne behind.

TV Robb is bringing his wife who is pregnant with the Crown Prince in the North to a wedding where the family of his former betrothed are going to be?

Really?

I'm not sure if anyone would do that today much less then when anger management classes, or counseling on " How to forgive and live a revenge-free life," were not exactly available.

I think it was quite a "logical" conclusion to the story arc when the frikkin' King in the North marries a total nobody healer. - This was actually one of the reasons why I've started watching the show only now.

As to R+L in the show, I believe Barristan is the single person who might relay it somehow, and that through him, they might even use those shots of Brandon strangling himself that they cut out of season 1. If Barristan survives Meereen, Dany might finally want to ask him about her father and the Rebellion, and that would be THE time to drop the R+L bomb, as well.

Sex scenes/naked people are the priority in this show, especially since the second season.

It became really ridiculous at some point and even made me mad, like that scene with Podrick and the hoes. Really? It was completely pointless and it just slows the story and takes out of good scenes they could be working on.

It's a tactic for sure - let's just show lots of sex because even if the unsullied have no idea what's going on, they will come back for the nudity.

It's almost offensive to the deph of GRRM work and book readers who knows the sequence of events.

Agreed, it's the "gratuitous" nature of their selections, in both nudity and violence that is annoying, and perhaps even a distraction.

I think the addition of Talisa for the sole purpose to go "Sharon Tate" on her in the end is gratuitous brutality when certainly there is enough brutality as pertains to the story arc to work with.

The Jeyne Westerling storyline, and the subsequent brutal destruction of Robb and his wolf, as well as their mutilations would have been just as impactful.

When they introduce the Martells next year, will it be to tell their story and flesh out the characters, or will it be a vehicle to launch Ariannes nipples?

Honestly, even my Husband was a little offended at the predictability of some of it as if he as a man appreciating a good story couldn't be done without the presence of Ros.

And talking of R+L=J relevant scenes, what about rabbit skinning instead of Meera's Harrenhal tale? :rolleyes: They could have effectively resorted to the Bluray animated clips (à la Deathly Hallows part 1 but cheaper). But no, pointless non-existent story arc there... sigh!

And talking of R+L=J relevant scenes, what about rabbit skinning instead of Meera's Harrenhal tale? :rolleyes: They could have effectively resorted to the Bluray animated clips (à la Deathly Hallows part 1 but cheaper). But no, pointless non-existent story arc there... sigh!

Seems to be a trend ever since LOTR, to change the existing for no good reason and adding material which doesn't stand up to the original even by a long shot. I really don't like screen adaptations, I invariably get disappointed. I didn't even want to watch the show, but the music is awesome and that's what finally compelled me to.

There is a shit ton of things that have been said that lead to believe R+L=J. However, there is one thing that I never see mentioned about Jon that add to this theory. And that is their behavior.......1.) They both have melancholic attitudes, but seem to be thought of well regardless of that. 2.) They have the same taste in women. They both like that fiery and independent type.

There are probably more similarities, but I don't care enough to think about it.

There is a shit ton of things that have been said that lead to believe R+L=J. However, there is one thing that I never see mentioned about Jon that add to this theory. And that is their behavior.......1.) They both have melancholic attitudes, but seem to be thought of well regardless of that. 2.) They have the same taste in women. They both like that fiery and independent type.

There are probably more similarities, but I don't care enough to think about it.

Rest assured, this has been covered, including Jon's moments of "waking the dragon" :-)

Have a look here: http://asoiaf.wester...00#entry4548377

Last section of the post ;)

ETA :ninja: by Ygrain LOL

When they introduce the Martells next year, will it be to tell their story and flesh out the characters, or will it be a vehicle to launch Ariannes nipples?

Seriously.

With Oberyn Martell, mark my words, they're gonna show orgies.

Add me three. Considering the amount of thought that D&D have apparently given to the question of "who's Jon Snow's mother?", and the fact that the answer they gave sufficiently satisfied GRRM as an indication of how well they had read the books, we'd get a little more on the subject than the brief exchange in the "The Kingsroad" S1 Ep when Jon is leaving for the Wall and asks Ned if his mother know where he's going. Correct me if I'm wrong but that is one of two instances where the question of the identity of Jon's mother is brought up on the show. In my laymen, lawyer, mommy life, I understand the need to cut out certain aspects of the story. But R&L aren't minor characters, and like it or not their story is the scaffolding of the whole thing. I just can't see how this will be glossed over but one never knows... Needless to say, with each season I've become more and more disenchanted.

Nami, I know I watched the HotU scene for the first time with baited breath. And while it wasn't a complete fail -- it was wistful and beautifully done its own right -- I so much wanted to get a nod to the pre-GOT events.

One possibility is that B & B know from GRRM that Jon's identity as Rhaegar's heir does not play a significant role in his story arc. As such, there would be no great need for the Show audience to see any significant exposition about R + L, such as a scene documenting Ned's fever dream about the TOJ.

Ed. grammar.

Seems to be a trend ever since LOTR, to change the existing for no good reason and adding material which doesn't stand up to the original even by a long shot. I really don't like screen adaptations, I invariably get disappointed. I didn't even want to watch the show, but the music is awesome and that's what finally compelled me to.

and judging by the new Hobbit trailer, that movie is going to be the culmination.. :frown5:

I'm NOT going to watch Hobbit. Ever. I swear.

Same here. LOTR was a relatively good adaptation, even if I still prefer the books by miles. GoT is decent, and a totally different medium than film, but it does focus on the Game (instead of the Song) too much imo. All I heard about the Hobbit makes me dread it tho :/

Same here. LOTR was a relatively good adaptation, even if I still prefer the books by miles. GoT is decent, and a totally different medium than film, but it does focus on the Game (instead of the Song) too much imo. All I heard about the Hobbit makes me dread it tho :/

FOTR was decent (minus the added scenes, such as A+A going lovey-dovey in the middle of the bridge for everyone and especially one mightily disapproving Elrond to see) but TTT went straight to hell. ROTK was slightly better but I will never forgive Jackson how he butchered Faramir's character and the whole Gondor story arc. Also, he should learn a thing or two about architecture, sieges and warfare in general.

So far (5 episodes) I'm liking GoT but I really miss the ToJ dream. It's such a powerful scene, true mastery of writing.

FOTR was decent (minus the added scenes, such as A+A going lovey-dovey in the middle of the bridge for everyone and especially one mightily disapproving Elrond to see) but TTT went straight to hell. ROTK was slightly better but I will never forgive Jackson how he butchered Faramir's character and the whole Gondor story arc. Also, he should learn a thing or two about architecture, sieges and warfare in general.

So far (5 episodes) I'm liking GoT but I really miss the ToJ dream. It's such a powerful scene, true mastery of writing.

Season 1 of the Show was the most faithful to the source material.

Seasons 2 and 3 are where the Show and the source material really begin to diverge in places.

Archived