R+L=J v.53

Stubby

I loved S1 as well, I have it on BR. But I've only seen 7 eps of S2 and can't say I watched a full ep of S3 yet.

I have BR on my pc, but not tv, and since I'm always busy on my pc... no watching. Ouch.

PS: Thanks for linking that amazing comparison post. I said on a thread a while ago that Ned and Rhaegar were pretty alike (as seen in Jon) but I got a reply that didn't agree, but I didn't expand on it because I didn't feel like it. :lol: I don't think I was that wrong for saying it, though. The Ned was not that bad, and I'm not anti-Rhaegar.

Whoa...first off, LotR was WAY better on film than on paper. It was grueling to get through the LotR books, and the only reason I kept going was to know I actually finished it.

Another thing...when Ned says bye to Jon in the series, he basically tells the book readers who Jon's mom is. I don't like to use the show as examples, but shit. Ned says "You are a Stark. You may not have my name, but you have my blood," and when Jon asks about her, Ned says "I promise," they will talk about it when they see each other again.

Whoa...first off, LotR was WAY better on film than on paper. It was grueling to get through the LotR books, and the only reason I kept going was to know I actually finished it.

Well, if you prefer inconsistencies, gaps in logic, repetitive patterns, ignorance in the area of warfare and fortress building and huge problems in the area of morals and heroic ethos... to each their own :P

And talking of R+L=J relevant scenes, what about rabbit skinning instead of Meera's Harrenhal tale? :rolleyes: They could have effectively resorted to the Bluray animated clips (à la Deathly Hallows part 1 but cheaper). But no, pointless non-existent story arc there... sigh!

And there is a parody of exactly this:

http://www.happyplac...season-3/newest

It's episode 6 :)

Seriously.

With Oberyn Martell, mark my words, they're gonna show orgies.

And with all the different characters with their own back-stories and individual histories, it's these types of things that just become distractions.

I was off from work the other day, and bored, I rented Frank Zeffirelli's version of "Romeo and Juliette" from 1968 and I had forgotten how beautiful it was.

Just at the end, they showed a naked Romeo, and a mere flash of Juliette's breast, but you knew they had consumated their marriage, and the suggestion of that love in that scene was more erotic than anything I've seen in a long time

That story, often called cliche' is still good enough for a woman in 2013 to never get over it's beauty and tragedy,.

I was off from work the other day, and bored, I rented Frank Zeffirelli's version of "Romeo and Juliette" from 1968 and I had forgotten how beautiful it was.

Just at the end, they showed a naked Romeo, and a mere flash of Juliette's breast, but you knew they had consummated their marriage, and the suggestion of that love in that scene was more erotic than anything I've seen in a long time

That story, often called cliche' is still good enough for a woman in 2013 to never get over it's beauty and tragedy,.

It's by far the best version of all I have seen.

BTW, you know what diappointed me in the show? The costumes. I was so looking forward to all those lavish dresses that GRRM describes, and in the show they all look so bland...

One possibility is that B & B know from GRRM that Jon's identity as Rhaegar's heir does not play a significant role in his story arc. As such, there would be no great need for the Show audience to see any significant exposition about R + L, such as a scene documenting Ned's fever dream about the TOJ.

Ed. grammar.

Bryan Cogman would beg to differ:

And there’s such a rich backstory and mythology, thousands of thousands of years of mythology that George has come up with. But as David put it, the show would collapse of the weight of all of that…One of the big themes of the books is the characters’ relationship with the past, and I want that to be a huge theme of the show. It’s one I think will emerge more strongly as the series goes on. But when you’re starting out of the gate, a lot of the long speeches about characters that existed in days gone by, it’s interesting, but it doesn’t make for very dramatic television. So you have to pick the moments where it’s going to affect what’s happening in the present to get that information out there. A character like Rhaegar Targaryen, it’s safe to say in the books you know more about Rhaegar than you do at this point in the show. That’s on purpose. We don’t want to load up the front end.

They are perfectly aware of the importance of the relationship with the past. It's just that having for some mysterious reason given up on flashbacks or past centered narrative devices they are left with only (s)exposition. Which is at best... distracting ;)

And with all the different characters with their own back-stories and individual histories, it's these types of things that just become distractions.

Just at the end, they showed a naked Romeo, and a mere flash of Juliette's breast, but you knew they had consummated their marriage, and the suggestion of that love in that scene was more erotic than anything I've seen in a long time

One of my favorite movies of all time!

The "nude" scene was quite controversial at the time, because Olivia Hussey was so young. But I find it very tasteful, especially compared with the gratuitous sex and nudity we've been whacked over the head with the past two seasons of GoT.

Ftr, I agree with Ygrain about the costumes in the show. Another opportunity missed. And whoever (edit- Nami) said upthread that there will an orgy scene with Oberyn Martell in S4- I think we can depend on it. :ack:

Ftr, I agree with Ygrain about the costumes in the show. Another opportunity missed. And whoever (edit- Nami) said upthread that there will an orgy scene with Oberyn Martell in S4- I think we can depend on it. :ack:

Let's at least hope that given Oberyn's bisexual tastes, ladies will get some eye candy, as well.

These hilarious facebook recaps have been the highlight of season 3 LOL

:agree: It's just easier to appeal to the guts of people than to their minds or worse... hearts (démodé word, I know)

FOTR was decent (minus the added scenes, such as A+A going lovey-dovey in the middle of the bridge for everyone and especially one mightily disapproving Elrond to see) but TTT went straight to hell. ROTK was slightly better but I will never forgive Jackson how he butchered Faramir's character and the whole Gondor story arc. Also, he should learn a thing or two about architecture, sieges and warfare in general.

So far (5 episodes) I'm liking GoT but I really miss the ToJ dream. It's such a powerful scene, true mastery of writing.

First season is the best one

Things started to go blah in second season, and third season is so bad

Speaking of Juliet/Olivia Hussey: this is how I envision Lyanna at Harrenhall: she would have been the same age as Juliet

http://www.listal.com/viewimage/1667002h

http://vikrubenfeld.com/2011/11/an-example-of-emotional-insight-from-shakespeare/

A child-woman of surpassing loveliness...

Just keep Loras out of this, please ;) Enough damage done to him in season 3...

Yeah, it was so over the top and stereotypical (just for the lulz)

I think season 3 was a let down, and just because they didn't try at all, they rather invest in nutidy and pointless things. It was so dragging

She is beautiful

Another actress I think would be perfect as Lyanna is Sarah Bolger. I think she's a great actor and very pretty

I've seen her as Princess Mary Tudor in The Tudors, and she was just great there

And she actually reminds me of Maisie Williams

She is beautiful

Another actress I think would be perfect as Lyanna is Sarah Bolger. I think she's a great actor and very pretty

I've seen her as Princess Mary Tudor in The Tudors, and she was just great there

And she actually reminds me of Maisie Williams

You're right, they look similar!

However, Olivia Hussey had that look of innocence and purity, which, together with her spirits, was what attracted Rhaegar to her (as a contrast to Cersei, who was beautiful but rotten even as young).

Archived