Small Questions v 10008

Stubby

I don't know if this has been asked before but how dld the mother of the Stark children's direwolves get through the wall? And where's the father? We never see any other dire wolves in the story. Not even the wuldling wargs have any.

I don't know if this has been asked before but how dld the mother of the Stark children's direwolves get through the wall? And where's the father? We never see any other dire wolves in the story. Not even the wuldling wargs have any.

It wouldn't exactly be difficult for an intrepid direwolf to make it's way past the bridge of skulls and past the Wall. As for why it went south of the Wall, it's theorised that BR warged the mother Direwolf to deliver the Stark kids their wolves.

ETA: I did always think it odd that we meet no other direwolves once Beyond the Wall. They're out there, but are rather rare it seems.

You can get penicillium mould from bread pretty easily... Happens in my house every fortnight.

true, but is it the right type to make blue cheese? some species are for brie, some are harmful, i dont remember ones that would form on bread being useful for blue cheese production. i might be thinking too hard about this though.

true, but is it the right type to make blue cheese? some species are for brie, some are harmful, i dont remember ones that would form on bread being useful for blue cheese production. i might be thinking too hard about this though.

Maybe a little ;)

As far as I'm aware, there's no food mould that's harmful. Spoilage mould is perfectly safe... (Not always nice...)

Roquefort (That may be spelled wrong) is made with mould from Rye bread, and the story of the invention of blue cheese is a shepherdess who left her cheese & bread in a cave...

Is there any inclination as to what book Roose throws into the fire in his room at Harrenhal in the last Arya chapter in CoK? Pardons if this has been asked before, I like to flit through the books randomly and this scene caught my eye more than usual. Its on pg896 in the paperback version

There have been a lot of speculative theories, but no facts about what book it was.

Really sorry if this has been asked before, but I don't want to start a thread or anything about it so: How many soldiers does Daenerys have in Meereen and how many do Yunkai have? Thanks x

I don't know exact numbers but Daenerys should have her ~7000ish Unsullied and the Brazen Beasts about half of whom are untrained former slaves. The Yunkai have all sorts of sellsword companies, and possibly soon volantis on their side. Both sides have been losing a lot of men to the Pale Mare

The direwolves may never have been north of the wall, that's also a possibility. The mountains in the northwest of the North are sparsely populated and are much more closely related to the First Men than anyone else (other than the Free Folk). Since they learnt from the Children of the Forest to protect nature, then it is possible that they'd leave the direwolves be if they saw them and not spread their existence about at the top of their lungs. Or just didn't know they were there.

Is there any inclination as to what book Roose throws into the fire in his room at Harrenhal in the last Arya chapter in CoK? Pardons if this has been asked before, I like to flit through the books randomly and this scene caught my eye more than usual. Its on pg896 in the paperback version

I have the same question.

Which came first, the Wall or the Night's watch?

The wiki entry for the Night's Watch says they helped defeat the others during the Long Night at the Battle for the Dawn, however, the wiki for the Battle For the Dawn says that the Night's Watch was founded after the Wall was built in order to defend it.

Which is it?

Which came first, the Wall or the Night's watch?

The wiki entry for the Night's Watch says they helped defeat the others during the Long Night at the Battle for the Dawn, however, the wiki for the Battle For the Dawn says that the Night's Watch was founded after the Wall was built in order to defend it.

Which is it?

I think they may have been formed from the remnants of those who fought in the Battle for Dawn, therefore they, as in the men themselves, were around before the Wall, but were organized into the Night's Watch when the Wall was built. But I could be way off, this seems to me like one of the intentionally vague facts in the story, possibly because no actual records were kept at the time.

I think they may have been formed from the remnants of those who fought in the Battle for Dawn, therefore they, as in the men themselves, were around before the Wall, but were organized into the Night's Watch when the Wall was built. But I could be way off, this seems to me like one of the intentionally vague facts in the story, possibly because no actual records were kept at the time.

That's my interpretation as well. The reason this is important to me, is I wonder if the Night's Watch ceases to exist if the Wall is permanently breached... Would the remaining men of the Night's Watch be released from their vows? Can the Night's Watch truly exist without the Wall to protect?

That's my interpretation as well. The reason this is important to me, is I wonder if the Night's Watch ceases to exist if the Wall is permanently breached... Would the remaining men of the Night's Watch be released from their vows? Can the Night's Watch truly exist without the Wall to protect?

I think their vows are what gives the magic surrounding the Wall it's strength. "As long as men of the Watch remain true", I think the Wall itself is just that, a wall, but those who swear to protect the realm give it it's power. If they all fall I have no doubt that the Others, who are basically living Ice, will have no trouble getting over a wall made of the same stuff. But that means all the true men of the NW would have to break their vows or fall, and I'd hate to see that happen.

I think their vows are what gives the magic surrounding the Wall it's strength. "As long as men of the Watch remain true", I think the Wall itself is just that, a wall, but those who swear to protect the realm give it it's power. If they all fall I have no doubt that the Others, who are basically living Ice, will have no trouble getting over a wall made of the same stuff. But that means all the true men of the NW would have to break their vows or fall, and I'd hate to see that happen.

Yeah, I have a small issue with believing the 'Wall will fall' because a group of a few men decided to kill their LC for something he didn't exactly do yet. CB is only one castle, and the group is small. Surely there's other people out there who are still true? Though perhaps the NW has mutated too far from what it was supposed to be if you look at the quality of the people in it (Mormont got killed as well). BM did think of himself as true, maybe the Wall thought the same thing until he turned on his LC, and that will be the cause of the magic failing?

In how far was the Wall supposed to defend itself? Because there was a whole group of Wildlings that got over it. Is it already a sign of its defences failing? Maybe the Wall won't exactly come down, but the Others can just go over it as well (as in the dream with the Wights).

Yeah, I have a small issue with believing the 'Wall will fall' because a group of a few men decided to kill their LC for something he didn't exactly do yet. CB is only one castle, and the group is small. Surely there's other people out there who are still true? Though perhaps the NW has mutated too far from what it was supposed to be if you look at the quality of the people in it (Mormont got killed as well). BM did think of himself as true, maybe the Wall thought the same thing until he turned on his LC, and that will be the cause of the magic failing?

In how far was the Wall supposed to defend itself? Because there was a whole group of Wildlings that got over it. Is it already a sign of its defences failing? Maybe the Wall won't exactly come down, but the Others can just go over it as well (as in the dream with the Wights).

I did mean all of the men, not just the few around Jon. Like I said it would mean all of the true men would have to fall or break their vows, or possibly be deceived into breaking their vows. But that's getting out of SQ territory and into my own crackpot area.

but if they were instilling the wall with spells as it was being built, wouldn't they have been effective before there was actually a night's watch? probably too technical of a question when dealing with magic. but even though the NW is starting to fall apart, and nowhere near its former glory, the black gate is certainly still working, and nobody has been at the nightfort for something like 200 years i believe? it might just be how i view what you're saying, but it would seem like the magic would be fading in certain parts where the strength of NW is also fading. unless its an all or nothing scenario. i guess it really depends on how GRRM's magic works.

this has got me thinking way more than i planned to when i arrived at work :dunno: :unsure:

but if they were instilling the wall with spells as it was being built, wouldn't they have been effective before there was actually a night's watch? probably too technical of a question when dealing with magic. but even though the NW is starting to fall apart, and nowhere near its former glory, the black gate is certainly still working, and nobody has been at the nightfort for something like 200 years i believe? it might just be how i view what you're saying, but it would seem like the magic would be fading in certain parts where the strength of NW is also fading. unless its an all or nothing scenario. i guess it really depends on how GRRM's magic works.

this has got me thinking way more than i planned to when i arrived at work :dunno: :unsure:

That magic most likely was strongly supported by the CotF, and as they are now waning the Wall is likely growing weaker.

edt: Sorry, I just got home from work so I can think too much. :)

Archived