Small Questions v 10008

Stubby

That magic most likely was strongly supported by the CotF, and as they are now waning the Wall is likely growing weaker.

edt: Sorry, I just got home from work so I can think too much. :)

Let's say the wall was destroyed by say the Horn of Joramun, would that mean the Night's Watch would disband, as there is no longer a wall for them to protect?

Another question that's been bugging me for a while: how long dead before a corpse can no longer be re-animated as a wight? Or is it possible for corpses long dead to be made into wights by the Others?

I ask because if the answer is, indefinitely yes they can, then Westeros is f'ed.

Let's say the wall was destroyed by say the Horn of Joramun, would that mean the Night's Watch would disband, as there is no longer a wall for them to protect?

I don't think it would let them out of their oaths. The oath doesn't even mention The Wall. From a practical standpoint though, without the wall and the castles lining it the men of the Nights Watch could not survive there and would have to head south. As for the "as long as the men of the watch are true" thing, if the wall didn't collapse during the Night's King thing or after Mormont was killed by his own men then I doubt it collapse because Jon was stabbed.

Another question that's been bugging me for a while: how long dead before a corpse can no longer be re-animated as a wight? Or is it possible for corpses long dead to be made into wights by the Others?

I ask because if the answer is, indefinitely yes they can, then Westeros is f'ed.

There doesn't seem to be a limit, we see wights in various states of decay. Of course if an Other tried to revive someone who was just a pile of bones and no flesh that probably wouldn't be very effective.

There doesn't seem to be a limit, we see wights in various states of decay. Of course if an Other tried to revive someone who was just a pile of bones and no flesh that probably wouldn't be very effective.

I basically agree with that. My more specific question is exactly what you brought up: how much of a corpse do the Others need to have in hand (so to speak) in order to be able to re-animate it? You dismiss a pile of bones as not very effective, but maybe that's not the case? A bunch of bones moving around and acting as self-propelled weapons seems pretty useful if you are an Other.

The Wall can fall anytime but the NW will remain; unless all men who serve the NW die then the NW is no more.

This. How about a dead man without a head? :dunno:

I basically agree with that. My more specific question is exactly what you brought up: how much of a corpse do the Others need to have in hand (so to speak) in order to be able to re-animate it? You dismiss a pile of bones as not very effective, but maybe that's not the case? A bunch of bones moving around and acting as self-propelled weapons seems pretty useful if you are an Other.

Well with no muscles or ligaments holding the bones together I don't see how they could move, but hey it's magic so I guess who knows.

Well with no muscles or ligaments holding the bones together I don't see how they could move, but hey it's magic so I guess who knows.

Well, clearly there's a limitation. When a re-animated corpse is burned, either ashes, charred flesh and bones can't be reanimated, or the fire kills off the Others' re-animagic.

Well, clearly there's a limitation. When a re-animated corpse is burned, either ashes, charred flesh and bones can't be reanimated, or the fire kills off the Others' re-animagic.

But when Jon kills the wight in LC tower, just the hand is walking around like Cousin It after Jon cuts it off. Seems like just a finger or something would work IMO.

Didn't the hand that got sent to KL with Thorne stop moving when the flesh was off the bones?

“Thorne has the wight’s hand to show them.” A grisly pale thing with black fingers, it was, that twitched and stirred in its jar as if it were still alive.

Littlefinger stirred. “And where is this charming token?”

Ser Alliser frowned uncomfortably. “it... rotted to pieces while I waited, unheard. There’s naught left to show but bones.”

But when Jon kills the wight in LC tower, just the hand is walking around like Cousin It after Jon cuts it off. Seems like just a finger or something would work IMO.

That's just what I'm talking about. What is the precise limit of what can be reanimated? But moreover, Othor's hand was already re-animated as part of an intact corpse. Does the whole corpse need to be intact to reanimate, or can a body part be reanimated?

I don't think it would let them out of their oaths. The oath doesn't even mention The Wall. From a practical standpoint though, without the wall and the castles lining it the men of the Nights Watch could not survive there and would have to head south. As for the "as long as the men of the watch are true" thing, if the wall didn't collapse during the Night's King thing or after Mormont was killed by his own men then I doubt it collapse because Jon was stabbed.

For the record, I don't think it collapses "because he was stabbed" either. I just meant if it came down for some reason (ie the Horn). The Night's Watch Oath actually DOES mention the wall... "We are the watchers on the Wall" is a line from it.

I was just re watching old episodes of the TV series, and in the scene with Catelyn in the brothel she mentions having scene Varys before. Did this happen or is this a mistake, because I cannot think of a time they would have scene each other.

For the record, I don't think it collapses "because he was stabbed" either. I just meant if it came down for some reason (ie the Horn). The Night's Watch Oath actually DOES mention the wall... "We are the watchers on the Wall" is a line from it.

It's actually "we are the watchers on the walls" plural.

I was just re watching old episodes of the TV series, and in the scene with Catelyn in the brothel she mentions having scene Varys before. Did this happen or is this a mistake, because I cannot think of a time they would have scene each other.

They've met before apparently, from the book:

The man who stepped through the door was plump, perfumed, powdered, and as hairless as an egg. He wore a vest of woven gold thread over a loose gown of purple silk, and on his feet were pointed slippers of soft velvet. “Lady Stark,” he said, taking her hand in both of his, “to see you again after so many years is such a joy.” His flesh was soft and moist, and his breath smelled of lilacs. “Oh, your poor hands. Have you burned yourself, sweet lady? The fingers are so delicate... Our good Maester Pycelle makes a marvelous salve, shall I send for a jar?”

I thought maybe the tourney at Lannisport after the Ironborn rebellion, but I just checked and in the first book Ned says he hasn't seen Robert since the night Robert accepted Balon's surrender. It wouldn't surprise me if Cat, Ned and a young Robb took a trip down to King's Landing after Robert's Rebellion to see their friend on the throne.

Archived