Small Questions v 10008

Stubby

Nope, but I doubt they recognize any kind of kingdom in the north anyway.

No but if they knew then they would likely try to get rid of him, just to keep the northmen from rallying around him.

IIRC only a king can legitimize a bastard. If Robb wasnt a king (and Raegar didn't marry Lyanna) Jon is a bastard.

Robb was a king and he did legitimize Jon.

My point was that king robb's acts were not legitimate if his kingship was not not legitimate.

Depends on who sees him as king. To the North, he is their legitimate king. To the IT and the rest, he is just a pretender. This answer from Martin might also help:
I had forgotten that all the others signed and witnessed Robb's decree. Also, wasn't Robb a King when he signed the decree? Granted not king of much, with the North lost but he was a King wasn't he?

He was a king in his own eyes and those of his followers... in the eyes of the Lannisters and Stannis and =their= followers he was a rebel, traitor, and would-be usurper.

Depends on who sees him as king. To the North, he is their legitimate king. To the IT and the rest, he is just a pretender. This answer from Martin might also help:

At one point the United States was considered to be a rebel nation. So were many many other countries. Robb was a king.

He was a king when he legitimized him, and as Cat points out, you cannot unlegitimize someone.

Does House Dayne keep the old gods?

I'm 99.9 % sure they don't. Old gods are kept by most Northern houses and some Riverlands ones who trace their lineage back to the First Men (like House Blackwood). Since Daynes are Dornishmen (who are a mix of Rhyonars and Andals), are are geographically as far from North as possible, it's almost impossible they worship the old gods.

Moreover, Arthur Dayne is a knight and Edric is training to be one. Knighthood is associated with Faith of the Seven, since it requires standing vigil in a sept, swearing by Seven and such.

I thought it was said the Daynes were blood of the First Men, and if so, one might expect they keep the Old Gods.

That, however, doesn't mean their blood still has much of the First Men in it (they don't marry Northerners that we know of) and that they still pray to the Old Gods. They might have taken over the Seven, but I hope not and I'd like it if they still had a weirwood tree in their godswood.

And I want an age for Allyria Dayne. :P

I think Allyria is 14.

ETA: It doesn't say on the wiki though, only that she was betrothed to Beric in 294. It does make sense that she's quite young though, as the longer betrothals would generally only take place when waiting for a girl to flower.

He was a king when he legitimized him, and as Cat points out, you cannot unlegitimize someone.

Robb was defeated while he was a traitor and a rebel. Most of the lords who supported him have recognized Tommen as their sovereign. It will be up to the winner to determine what if any of the acts of the five kings should be legitimized.

Is there any significance to the library at Winterfell burning in AGOT? I wouldn't think anything of it except for the passage of Tyrion's where he's reading a "rare" book on dragons he borrowed with permission from Winterfell's library. Seems like a pretty big coincidence it burned in the next chapter.

Is there any significance to the library at Winterfell burning in AGOT? I wouldn't think anything of it except for the passage of Tyrion's where he's reading a "rare" book on dragons he borrowed with permission from Winterfell's library. Seems like a pretty big coincidence it burned in the next chapter.

It may not have burned completely at that stage but Ramsay Snow burnt it later anyway. The significance of its burning is that it is now gone. That's not a smarty-pants comment, either, just a sign that it's sad so much wisdom and knowledge has been lost forever.

It may not have burned completely at that stage but Ramsay Snow burnt it later anyway. The significance of its burning is that it is now gone. That's not a smarty-pants comment, either, just a sign that it's sad so much wisdom and knowledge has been lost forever.

But the book in question may have survived.

But the book in question may have survived.

Even if it did, it'd have no relevance to the story. I'm sure that some of Sansa's clothing that she took from Winterfell to King's Landing survives but it won't matter either.

Even if it did, it'd have no relevance to the story. I'm sure that some of Sansa's clothing that she took from Winterfell to King's Landing survives but it won't matter either.

An ancient book about dragons that was read by Tyrion, who is now on the dragon's doorstep, is a little more relevant than Sansa's clothes.

An ancient book about dragons that was read by Tyrion, who is now on the dragon's doorstep, is a little more relevant than Sansa's clothes.

Is there anything suggesting that Tyrion took the book with him? I thought he left King's Landing in rather a hurry. :/

Is there anything suggesting that Tyrion took the book with him? I thought he left King's Landing in rather a hurry. :/

No but he seems wise enough to remember the things he reads and with the argument that one of the Starks knew about weirwood arrows it's possible that it was written in this book. I'm just saying it has more relevance to the story than Sansa's clothes.

Archived