Small Questions v 10008

Stubby

No but he seems wise enough to remember the things he reads and with the argument that one of the Starks knew about weirwood arrows it's possible that it was written in this book. I'm just saying it has more relevance to the story than Sansa's clothes.

I daresay that he would remember what he read. He was already reading the book when the library burnt, though, so it may not have made any difference if he was able to keep the book.

Yeah, I have a small issue with believing the 'Wall will fall' because a group of a few men decided to kill their LC for something he didn't exactly do yet. CB is only one castle, and the group is small. Surely there's other people out there who are still true? Though perhaps the NW has mutated too far from what it was supposed to be if you look at the quality of the people in it (Mormont got killed as well). BM did think of himself as true, maybe the Wall thought the same thing until he turned on his LC, and that will be the cause of the magic failing?

In how far was the Wall supposed to defend itself? Because there was a whole group of Wildlings that got over it. Is it already a sign of its defences failing? Maybe the Wall won't exactly come down, but the Others can just go over it as well (as in the dream with the Wights).

I thought the walls magic was to keep out creatures of magic ie the white walkers wights, and even Cold Hands can't cross the night fort door.

How did the Nights Watch deserter executed by Ned get south of the wall, exactly? There are only three gates and he could not pass through any of them, he clearly could not swim by Eastwatch and I highly doubt that he was mentally capabable of sneaking by the Shadow Tower...

How did the Nights Watch deserter executed by Ned get south of the wall, exactly? There are only three gates and he could not pass through any of them, he clearly could not swim by Eastwatch and I highly doubt that he was mentally capabable of sneaking by the Shadow Tower...

Knowing what was behind him could have easily boosted his adrenaline enough to climb, but I don't think there's any mention of it anywhere, at least not yet.

My guess is that he went back to Castle Black, told them what he saw (because we hear those rumors from Benjen and the LC), and then after a short time, deserted from Castle Black.

Knowing what was behind him could have easily boosted his adrenaline enough to climb, but I don't think there's any mention of it anywhere, at least not yet.

Not impossible, but where did he get the equipment?

My guess is that he went back to Castle Black, told them what he saw (because we hear those rumors from Benjen and the LC), and then after a short time, deserted from Castle Black.

Yes, although I'd wonder how someone instable like that would succeed at fleeing from Castle black, that's entirely possible.

Not impossible, but where did he get the equipment?

It makes me think that climbing equipment is standard issue for NW Rangers... While Jon was out with The Halfhand and co. they had to climb a cliff or two and had all the equipment at the ready.

I think it's more likely he used the gorge to get around the shadow tower then that he climbed The Wall.

It doesn't sound like that was the case:

The Lord Commander took no notice of the irritating bird. “Gared was near as old as I am and longer on the Wall,” he went on, “yet it would seem he forswore himself and fled. I should never have believed it, not of him, but Lord Eddard sent me his head from Winterfell. Of Royce, there is no word. One deserter and two men lost, and now Ben Stark too has gone missing.”

Did Nymeria warn Arya and Yoren's recruits of Amory's attack? In Clash, Arya II she learns that a pack of wolves led by a giant she wolf is prowling the Riverlands. In Arya III a pack of wolves likely led by Nymeria did not eat her. In Arya IV Arya is awakened by a howling wolf before one of the recruits sounds his horn in alarm.

in AFFC, when Sam and Gilly are discussing the possibility of naming Mance's son after Aemon, Sam thinks "The boy was Mance Rayder's son and Craster's grandson, after all." How is he Craster's grandson?? Am I totally missing something or does this not make sense to anyone else either?

in AFFC, when Sam and Gilly are discussing the possibility of naming Mance's son after Aemon, Sam thinks "The boy was Mance Rayder's son and Craster's grandson, after all." How is he Craster's grandson?? Am I totally missing something or does this not make sense to anyone else either?

Gilly is Craster's daughter and Wife. Making her son a son to Craster and a grandson at the same time.

In Clash Jon and Jeor note that their respective fathers believed that no man could tell a lie in front of a heart tree. Are there any instances of any character telling a known lie in front of a heart tree?

I assume Craster sacrificed his sons and livestock to the others to be left alone, but what did the others do with the sacrifices?

And is Craster part Other?

Forgot where I read it, but it's thought the male babies are fodder for the wights.

In Clash Jon and Jeor note that their respective fathers believed that no man could tell a lie in front of a heart tree. Are there any instances of any character telling a known lie in front of a heart tree?

Yes, there is at least one:

Then the mists parted, like the curtain opening at a mummer show to reveal some new tableau. The heart tree appeared in front of them, its bony limbs spread wide. Fallen leaves lay about the wide white trunk in drifts of red and brown. The ravens were thickest here, muttering to one another in the murderers' secret tongue. Ramsay Bolton stood beneath them, clad in high boots of soft grey leather and a black velvet doublet slashed with pink silk and glittering with garnet teardrops A smilie danced across his face. "Who comes?" His lips were moist, his neck red above his collar. "Who comes before the god?"

Theon answered. "Arya of House Stark comes here to be wed. A woman grown and flowered, trueborn and noble, she comes to beg the blessings of the gods. Who comes to claim her?"

[...]

Archived