Small Questions v 10008

Stubby

Yeah. In his conversation with Davos, Wyman himself notes he can't ride anymore.

Ok then.

Btw, don't we get a comparison between Illyrio and the Yellow whale in Tyrion's chapters in Dance? After all, he meets them both.

Magic is thus far mostly associated with R'hllor. I find that strangely one-sided. Are there instances of magic directly linked to the Old Gods or the Seven? Some of the woods witches maybe or some maesters?

In the case of the Old Gods the warging and the Weirwood network (as well as the COTF themselves of course) are clearly connected to them.

The Seven do not appear to have any magical feats to their name however.

Is "warging" in general confined among those who worship the old gods?

Our sample size is pretty small, but Arya seems to be an example of someone who doesn't really follow the Old Gods and still wargs pretty badass. AFAIK all skinchangers seem to come from FM families though, which is strongly correlated with following the Old Gods.

Magic is thus far mostly associated with R'hllor. I find that strangely one-sided. Are there instances of magic directly linked to the Old Gods or the Seven? Some of the woods witches maybe or some maesters?

Valyria had gods and since they had dragons, may have had magic.

I think he meant because it will be raised by Gilly.

Agree. Metaphor.

How did the Nights Watch deserter executed by Ned get south of the wall, exactly? There are only three gates and he could not pass through any of them, he clearly could not swim by Eastwatch and I highly doubt that he was mentally capabable of sneaking by the Shadow Tower...

There are ways around the Wall on both the East and West ends not involving water. However that's a long trek for someone running straight for the Wall - since he came from Castle Black. No reason he couldnt have snuck through via Castle Black.

Did Nymeria warn Arya and Yoren's recruits of Amory's attack? In Clash, Arya II she learns that a pack of wolves led by a giant she wolf is prowling the Riverlands. In Arya III a pack of wolves likely led by Nymeria did not eat her. In Arya IV Arya is awakened by a howling wolf before one of the recruits sounds his horn in alarm.

Dont know but she did kill off the Brave Companions who came after Arya.

Marie

Interesting, thanks. No magic from the Drowned God or the God with Many Faces either, if I recall correctly. Wasn't it said somewhere that it were the Children of the Forest, who "invented" or somehow developed magic in the first place?

There seems to be magic related to the Old Gods and COTF - as you mention, weirwoods, skinchanging, warging, that kind of thing. But don't forget that there's also a magic that seems to originate from Essos. Valyria clearly had magic - there are spells required to both control dragons and to forge Valyrian steel, for instance. But then there's the whole issue of R'hllor and magic that Melisandre uses, as well as the magic of the maegi like MMD. That seems to have originated or at least is strong in Asshai.

Now, as to whether or not there's a "unifying theory" that explains all the disparate types of magic in Planetos is unclear to me.

Forgot where I read it, but it's thought the male babies are fodder for the wights.

Ok, what? Do they eat 'em? Cross breed 'em? Diddle 'em? What? And what do they do with the livestock Craster offers to the Others? And is Craster part Other?

Why Jon Connington calls Aegon a Prince, not a King?

I'll paraphrase Tywin's words: "Any man who must say, 'He is the king,' is no true king's man." :P Seriously though, Aegon can wear a golden crown on his head and be called the King of the Seven Kingdoms. But so long he's not the one sitting on the Iron Throne, the realm would only see him as another pretentious claimant to the throne.

I'll paraphrase Tywin's words: "Any man who must say, 'He is the king,' is no true king's man." :P Seriously though, Aegon can wear a golden crown on his head and be called the King of the Seven Kingdoms. But so long he's not the one sitting on the Iron Throne, the realm would only see him as another pretentious claimant to the throne.

The realm yes, but shouldn't Jon Connington see him as a king? It doesn't matter at all, but it seems strange.

Archived