Small Questions v 10008

Stubby

What's going on in the Summer Islands? We have an Ebon Prince that was likely from the SI and was a member of the BO9. We have Summer Islanders in Drogo's manse before his wedding. We have Jalabhar Xho begging Robert to help him retake the Red Flower Vale, which he lost sometime after Robert's Rebellion. Then we have Quhuru Mo telling Dany in Qarth the "wonderous" news of Robert's death. Alleras appears to be Sarella the daughter of Oberyn and probably Kajja Mo who is the Daughter of Quhuru.

What's going on in the Summer Islands? We have an Ebon Prince that was likely from the SI and was a member of the BO9. We have Summer Islanders in Drogo's manse before his wedding. We have Jalabhar Xho begging Robert to help him retake the Red Flower Vale, which he lost sometime after Robert's Rebellion. Then we have Quhuru Mo telling Dany in Qarth the "wonderous" news of Robert's death. Alleras appears to be Sarella the daughter of Oberyn and probably Kajja Mo who is the Daughter of Quhuru.

Nice summary, but what exactly is your question? What's unclear here?

Events and people you listed are not connected with each other (Alleras, Kojja Mo and Jalabhar Xho). GRRM created a huge world, and Summer Isles are a part of it, so it makes sense for some Summer Islanders to appear in it. It's worldbuilding, that's all.

Btw, where did notion that Kojja Mo is Sarella's mom come from? Given that there's no obvious sexism on SI, I'd imagine that there are numerous women sea captain, and Sarella's mother could be any one of them.

Nice summary, but what exactly is your question? What's unclear here?

Events and people you listed are not connected with each other (Alleras, Kojja Mo and Jalabhar Xho). GRRM created a huge world, and Summer Isles are a part of it, so it makes sense for some Summer Islanders to appear in it. It's worldbuilding, that's all.

Btw, where did notion that Kojja Mo is Sarella's mom come from? Given that there's no obvious sexism on SI, I'd imagine that there are numerous women sea captain, and Sarella's mother could be any one of them.

I'm just looking to see if any readers think they're anything more than background for world-building. Kojja Mo being Sarella's mother is a theory I first read on some thread in this forum. It makes sense since her mother was the daughter of a trader and Kojja exhibited maternal love toward the Mance's son. If true there could be more connection than you suggest. I just reread the chapter when Quhuru meets Dany and I was struck by how partisan Quhuru seemed to be.

Where does the name "Baratheon" come from?

Since Orys Baratheon was the first Baratheon, and supposedly the bastard of Aerion Targaryen, is Baratheon the name Valyrians gave their bastards, like Snow or Flowers? Was it his mother's name? Did he choose it for himself?

I think he has been told that Kingship is his by right, he's just getting an education in how to be good at it.

Not according to sweet-smelling Varys: "(After lots of yada-yadas...)Tommen has been taught that kingship is his right. Aegon knows that kingship is his duty, that a king must put his people first, and live and rule for them."

But words are wind. Even though Aegon wasn't told, I think he'd been thinking a lot of times already that kingship is his by right. So you're probably right, he's just getting an education in how to be good at it. (Doing his duty and putting his people's first don't come naturally so he need to put on a mummer's farce. Joke. :P)

Where does the name "Baratheon" come from?

Since Orys Baratheon was the first Baratheon, and supposedly the bastard of Aerion Targaryen, is Baratheon the name Valyrians gave their bastards, like Snow or Flowers? Was it his mother's name? Did he choose it for himself?

Baratheon is probably a valyrian name since Orys was rumoured to be Aegons bastard half brother. I doubt that it is a bastard's name though since the Targaryens and came from a different culture than the one the people in Westeros kept.

I might be wrong but that's what I believe!

1ETA: How the name came to be I couldn't find anything about.

2ETA: (in bold)

Baratheon is probably a valyrian name since Orys was rumoured to be Aegons bastard. I doubt that it is a bastard's name though since the Targaryens and came from a different culture than the one the people in Westeros kept.

I might be wrong but that's what I believe!

ETA: How the name came to be I couldn't find anything about.

He was his bastard half brother.

I am ashamed to tell that I've been lately going through some mostly crappy fanfic, and I've noticed something which bothers me, but I'm not entirely sure if it's a mistake;

let's take as an axample the Starks at the beginning of the series:

The way I undestand it, Ned would be formally addressed either as Lord Stark or Lord Eddard, his wife as Lady Stark or Lady Catelyn, but their sons would be only called by their names because they're not the ruling lords (so no "Lord Robb" or "Lord Stark" as long as Ned lives), while their daughters could be addressed as "Lady Sansa" and "Lady Arya", but never "Lady Stark" because they're not ruling ladies, nor the wives of the ruling lord.

Am I right, or is it just a misconception of mine?

Thanks in advance.

I'm just looking to see if any readers think they're anything more than background for world-building. Kojja Mo being Sarella's mother is a theory I first read on some thread in this forum. It makes sense since her mother was the daughter of a trader and Kojja exhibited maternal love toward the Mance's son. If true there could be more connection than you suggest. I just reread the chapter when Quhuru meets Dany and I was struck by how partisan Quhuru seemed to be.

If you suggest there's some connection between various Summer Islanders though the story, that's not exactly small question, Maybe you should consider opening a thread about it and let the discussion flow. That way, you'll get way more feedback than in thread dedicated to small questions ;)

I am ashamed to tell that I've been lately going through some mostly crappy fanfic, and I've noticed something which bothers me, but I'm not entirely sure if it's a mistake;

let's take as an axample the Starks at the beginning of the series:

The way I undestand it, Ned would be formally addressed either as Lord Stark or Lord Eddard, his wife as Lady Stark or Lady Catelyn, but their sons would be only called by their names because they're not the ruling lords (so no "Lord Robb" or "Lord Stark" as long as Ned lives), while their daughters could be addressed as "Lady Sansa" and "Lady Arya", but never "Lady Stark" because they're not ruling ladies, nor the wives of the ruling lord.

Am I right, or is it just a misconception of mine?

Thanks in advance.

As I understand it, you're right. The main difference between titles is that "lord" signifies feudal landowner (or it can be honorary title e.g. members of Small council), while "lady" can also mean simply woman of noble birth. And indeed - most nobly born women are addressed simply as "my lady", while sons and brothers of lords aren't usually addressed with "my lord".

And yes, "Lady Stark" is title reserved for wife/widow or Lord Stark, or for lady ruling in her own right.

As I understand it, you're right. The main difference between titles is that "lord" signifies feudal landowner (or it can be honorary title e.g. members of Small council), while "lady" can also mean simply woman of noble birth. And indeed - most nobly born women are addressed simply as "my lady", while sons and brothers of lords aren't usually addressed with "my lord".

And yes, "Lady Stark" is title reserved for wife/widow or Lord Stark, or for lady ruling in her own right.

Were going to answer that, then I started thinking about it and I became unsure myself... Ha, thanks for straighting it out!

This is an excellent explanation.

As a bit of further explanation: male titles in most feudal societies are always higher than the equivalent female title. So a King is higher than a Queen, a Lord is higher than a Lady and a Prince is higher than a Princess.

If a Queen is ruling in her own right (so is the child of the previous monarch) then her husband is still the Prince, as is the case in the United Kingdom right now. Using the examples from the books: Sansa and Arya are given the title Lady simply by being born women of noble birth. However, since the title Lord is always higher than Lady, Robb, Bran and Rickon aren't called Lord Stark while their father still lives.

It does make me wonder if all of the Martell children are given the title Prince and Princess, since those are the titles of the ruling lord at any given time.

It does make me wonder if all of the Martell children are given the title Prince and Princess, since those are the titles of the ruling lord at any given time.

Judging by the fact that Lewyn Martell was called prince even when he was wearing the white cloak, yes.

Also, the wiki pages of Trystane and Quentyn list them both as princes.

And Oberyn is called prince the whole time he appears in Storm.

Judging by the fact that Lewyn Martell was called prince even when he was wearing the white cloak, yes.

Yeah that tradition started with Nymeria. Since they came over they have styled the ruling family as Prince and Princess.

I just checked the appendices, they list all of the children as "Prince" and "Princess." Must get confusing for the historians in Dorne. :P

in ASoS near the end Stannis says he's commanding someone (forgive me for not remembering who) to mine all of the obsidian on the island. Did anything ever come out of that?

I assume they were still going when Loras and his men stormed the castle, so I guess its lost for now.

Archived