Small Questions v 10008

Stubby

I always thought Arthur Dayne was in his 50's.

But Arthur's dad you also have to sire Ashara, who's around Ned's age. Math for that simply doesn't fit.

I don't know if we have something from the text to prove it, but I think pretty much everyone assumes Arthur Dayne was Rhaegar's generation.

Two questions 1) What exactly is the curse of Harrenhal,I always thought whom ever holds it dies eventually usually horribly 2) Does the curse effect Littlefinger since he is only Lord in name but has never taken up there?

Two questions 1) What exactly is the curse of Harrenhal,I always thought whom ever holds it dies eventually usually horribly 2) Does the curse effect Littlefinger since he is only Lord in name but has never taken up there?

1) Yes, something like this. Not always horribly, but often enough. Of course, Westeros being what it is, that probably holds for more places than Harrenhal... but Harrenhal it is. Supposedly Black Harren mixed blood into the mortar, and nothing good can come of this.

2) LF himself made a remark that implies that not actually living there would nullify the curse. In my personal opinion, he probably doesn't believe in the curse at all, but is aware that other people do and it's always a good idea not to be seen as doomed in the eyes of your peers.

Two questions 1) What exactly is the curse of Harrenhal,I always thought whom ever holds it dies eventually usually horribly

I would add that Harrenhal might have used lots of weirwoods in it's structural beams. Harrenhal is in sight of the Isle of Faces, where the pact was signed to stop weirwoods being cut down. It's in sight of the God's Eye, and the Isle of Faces appears to be the pupil, the part of the eye that sees.

I would add that Harrenhal might have used lots of weirwoods in it's structural beams. Harrenhal is in sight of the Isle of Faces, where the pact was signed to stop weirwoods being cut down. It's in sight of the God's Eye, and the Isle of Faces appears to be the pupil, the part of the eye that sees.

Speaking of weirwood, do we know if parts of cut down weirwood trees can be used by either BR or COTF (or potentially Bran) as part of the weirnet? This would open up a lot of other sites - the furniture all over Westeros, weirwood bows, etc.

Speaking of weirwood, do we know if parts of cut down weirwood trees can be used by either BR or COTF (or potentially Bran) as part of the weirnet? This would open up a lot of other sites - the furniture all over Westeros, weirwood bows, etc.

I can't say I know for sure but my guess is, no. It would seem logical if they, when cut off, are also cut off from the weirnet. I believe it's only for the trees that stand in the ground that's somehow connected. Maybe through the earth, water in the ground or simply by being a living thing that Bran can see through, just like warging - you can't warg dead animals or people for that matter.

you can't warg dead animals or people for that matter.

I wouldn't totally rule it out since there are a few examples of necromancy in the books. I've heard people suggest Coldhands could be a wight warged by Bloodraven.

I wouldn't totally rule it out since there are a few examples of necromancy in the books. I've heard people suggest Coldhands could be a wight warged by Bloodraven.

But necromancy =/= warging. Unless BR is capable of combining the two.

in ASoS near the end Stannis says he's commanding someone (forgive me for not remembering who) to mine all of the obsidian on the island. Did anything ever come out of that?

IIRC there was mention of some volume that had been mined and would be sent to Stannis at the next opportunity. I could be crazy.

As for that last bit, I think that might have been an extremely rare occurrence just to see Bran safely to the cave. The CotF seem wholly against it.

I can't say I know for sure but my guess is, no. It would seem logical if they, when cut off, are also cut off from the weirnet. I believe it's only for the trees that stand in the ground that's somehow connected. Maybe through the earth, water in the ground or simply by being a living thing that Bran can see through, just like warging - you can't warg dead animals or people for that matter.

You are going to be shocked when Jon wargs his wight body.

House Glover of Deepwood Motte is a noble house from the North, although they are of masterly rank rather than lordly.

- wiki

Read this on the wiki and got confused. What is a masterly house? As it say they are still a noble house.

Which are the possible (in lack of a better word) "titles" of a house? Noble, masterly, lordly, knightly etc...

Read this on the wiki and got confused. What is a masterly house? As it say they are still a noble house.

Which are the possible (in lack of a better word) "titles" of a house? Noble, masterly, lordly, knightly etc...

There are two kinds of houses holding land: lordly houses and not-lordly. The difference is a legal one, e.g. lords have the right to dispense justice on their land, non-lords must defer to their liege. Usually the more powerful houses holding more extensive lands will be the lordly houses, but that isn't a strict condition.

So what to call a non-lordly house? If their leader is also a knight, then you can call them landed knights and their house a knightly house. The Cleganes are an example for that. If however their leader isn't usually a knight (like in the North, were even able bodied warriors don't take the knightly vows, which are connected to the Faith of the 7), then they seem to be simply called "master of [seat]" and the house is called a masterly house.

There are two kinds of houses holding land: lordly houses and not-lordly. The difference is a legal one, e.g. lords have the right to dispense justice on their land, non-lords must defer to their liege. Usually the more powerful houses holding more extensive lands will be the lordly houses, but that isn't a strict condition.

Okay. Who becomes a lord then? Does it have anything to do with how many men they can raise for an army or something like that? And what are the leaders of the even lesser houses called?

Bolton, lord

Karstark, lord

Glover, master

Cassel, ? (since I couldn't find a mention that they where a masterly house)

Sorry if I ask stupid questions...

Okay. Who becomes a lord then? Does it have anything to do with how many men they can raise for an army or something like that? And what are the leaders of the even lesser houses called?

Bolton, lord

Karstark, lord

Glover, master

Cassel, ? (since I couldn't find a mention that they where a masterly house)

Sorry if I ask stupid questions...

I think "masterly" is like the northern version of "lordly", but I'm a little fuzzy on that myself. Maybe since the North is, in a way, a country of it's own I think they kind of serve Winterfell the way the Lordly houses would serve the King?

Archived