Small Questions v 10008

Stubby

Now I have a question.

Is it established fact that Bloodraven is the person on the weirwood throne who is guiding Bran? Or is it just assumed and has yet to be made clear definitively (even if it seems pretty clear)?

Well, its not yet an established fact but it is painfully obvious, and it doesn't seem likely to be anyone else (there have been suggestions, but none match up as Bloodraven does).

Now I have a question.

Is it established fact that Bloodraven is the person on the weirwood throne who is guiding Bran? Or is it just assumed and has yet to be made clear definitively (even if it seems pretty clear)?

Yes, according to the official WOIAF App entry about Brynden Rivers, a.k.a. Bloodraven and the Last Greenseer, and entry about Bran Stark.

I'm re-reading SoS now and I'm wondering why Cersei is allowed to pick Gregor Clegane as her champion for Joffrey. Later when considering a champion herself she must select a member of the kingsguard. What is the difference?

I'm re-reading SoS now and I'm wondering why Cersei is allowed to pick Gregor Clegane as her champion for Joffrey. Later when considering a champion herself she must select a member of the kingsguard. What is the difference?

KG must defend the royal family, so Cersei needs a member of the KG. in the first case, the royal family was the accuser.

I have a question I hope someone can answer. Who has the horn that calls the krackens? It was in Lord Celtigar's possession before the Battle of the Blackwater. Krackens have been spotted according to the TWOW gift chapter. Is someone calling them?

This, although some of us also expect it has now been moved, via a large chest alleged to contain candied pineapple, into the possession of the young heir of House Blackfyre.

We would hsve expected it to be delivered to the GC directly so as not to raiseany doubts of a certain former Hand who might feel betrayed. I just hope the kid doesn't take it to tough.

Toward the end of ASoS, Tywin wants to remove Jaime from the kingsguard and send him to Casterly Rock with Tommen. "The Rock is where [Tommen will] learn to be a Lannister, and I want him away from his mother."

However, after Joffrey's death, Tommen is the king. Due to his minority, Tommen will have a regent...but wouldn't he be needed in King's Landing? We read about him affixing his signature and seal to documents "all the time," which suggests that the regent's powers are limited. Is Tywin anticipating that anything requiring Tommen's signature/seal would/could just be handled from Casterly Rock?

Toward the end of ASoS, Tywin wants to remove Jaime from the kingsguard and send him to Casterly Rock with Tommen. "The Rock is where [Tommen will] learn to be a Lannister, and I want him away from his mother."

However, after Joffrey's death, Tommen is the king. Due to his minority, Tommen will have a regent...but wouldn't he be needed in King's Landing? We read about him affixing his signature and seal to documents "all the time," which suggests that the regent's powers are limited. Is Tywin anticipating that anything requiring Tommen's signature/seal would/could just be handled from Casterly Rock?

never really properly explained, i'd say it was either what you just suggested (they'd have to send a lot of riders through the riverlands though to the rock, and confirming things would take forever) or tywin would just take the seal and use it himself, even if its not strictly speaking legal, tywin probably wouldnt let a technicality get in the way of his grand plans, and no one would really criticise him

A because he's tywin

B because its a lot more practical and saves a lot of time

Why is Jon Snow's surname "Snow"?

We know that in Westeros, bastards receive their name based on which region they were born in, irregardless of the origins of their father. So Robert Baratheon's bastard born in the Vale is a Stone, and his bastard born in the Stormlands is a Storm.

But Jon was, by all accounts, born in Dorne. Whether at the Tower of Joy, or at Starfall, he was still born in Dorne, not the North. So shouldn't his name be Jon Sand?

We know that in Westeros, bastards receive their name based on which region they were born in, irregardless of the origins of their father. So Robert Baratheon's bastard born in the Vale is a Stone, and his bastard born in the Stormlands is a Storm.

But Jon was, by all accounts, born in Dorne. Whether at the Tower of Joy, or at Starfall, he was still born in Dorne, not the North. So shouldn't his name be Jon Sand?

But Jon is "from" the North--Ned Stark claims him as a son and raises Jon in Winterfell.

I thi

I think he is Snow because Ned brought him back to the North and acknowledged him as his son.

There's an SSM where he explains that it's a matter of custom and not like, the law or anything. if Ned wanted he could have called the kid Jon Gotti.

Let's not forget that Jon's origins are not common knowledge. I doubt very much that Ned was looking to advertise that Jon was born in Dorne. Calling the child Snow indicates that his origins are in the North, without giving away the highly suspicious locale of his birth.

Let's not forget that Jon's origins are not common knowledge. I doubt very much that Ned was looking to advertise that Jon was born in Dorne. Calling the child Snow indicates that his origins are in the North, without giving away the highly suspicious locale of his birth.

This. Ned wanted too keep circumstances around Jon's birth a secret (and was quite successful at that, despite Cat's, Jon's and his own personal emotional problems related to secret-keeping), and naming him "Jon Sand" would definitely ruin his plans.

I just finished rereading Feast and Dance and I notice that none of the Dornish characters seem to have any hard feelings towards the Starks, and certainly don't hold them responsible for anything. My question is does Oberyn mention anything about it, it's been a long time since I have read all through those chapters, but does he have any hard feelings about Rhaegar running around with Lyanna?

I just finished rereading Feast and Dance and I notice that none of the Dornish characters seem to have any hard feelings towards the Starks, and certainly don't hold them responsible for anything. My question is does Oberyn mention anything about it, it's been a long time since I have read all through those chapters, but does he have any hard feelings about Rhaegar running around with Lyanna?

I am almost positive that Oberyn never mentions it. He's too focused (it would seem) on Elia's rape and murder to care about her husband's infidelity.

Or, since he has children with at least five different mothers and evidently engages in sexual encounters with his paramour and other women (i.e., at the same time), maybe he doesn't think it's a big deal.

Archived