Small Questions v 10008

Stubby

So the Celtigar's and Velaryon's are of Valyrian descent but when did they actually set up shop in Westeros? Did they arrive with the Targs or where they there prior to that?

The Velaryons ,I believe, came with the Targs because they were sworn to Aegon I before the conquest. The Celtigars are more of a mystery

According to http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Month/2012/09/ A Celtigar was made the first master of coin right after Aegon landed. I would assume they were also sworn to Aegon before the conquest.

Why is Jon Snow's surname "Snow"?

We know that in Westeros, bastards receive their name based on which region they were born in, irregardless of the origins of their father. So Robert Baratheon's bastard born in the Vale is a Stone, and his bastard born in the Stormlands is a Storm.

But Jon was, by all accounts, born in Dorne. Whether at the Tower of Joy, or at Starfall, he was still born in Dorne, not the North. So shouldn't his name be Jon Sand?

and the 2 examples you used could be said to name the son after where the mother is from, as well as where the child is raised. this could be another subtle clue to Lyanna being Jon's mom.

I just finished rereading Feast and Dance and I notice that none of the Dornish characters seem to have any hard feelings towards the Starks, and certainly don't hold them responsible for anything. My question is does Oberyn mention anything about it, it's been a long time since I have read all through those chapters, but does he have any hard feelings about Rhaegar running around with Lyanna?

Nothing is mention in the book, as far as I remember. But Mr. Martin's reply to one of the questions asked to him says Dorne did not support Rhaegar entirely coz of his treatment to Elia. So we can say that Doran (don't know about Oberyn) was angry about the Rhaegar/Lyanna thingy but did not show it coz he's just being cautious. So those who says Elia was okay with "marrying" Lyanna, I highly doubt it. And Doran won't be too okay if he learned they got married in Dorne.
Ned's army did not accompany him to Dorne, no. There were no battles in Dorne during Robert's Rebellion, though doubtless there were minor skirmishes along the borders. But it's not entirely correct that the Martells stayed out of the war. Rhaegar had Dornish troops with him on the Trident, under the command of Prince Lewyn of the Kingsguard. However, the Dornishmen did not support him as strongly as they might have, in part because of anger at his treatment of Elia, in part because of Prince Doran's innate caution. Cersei's line reflects no more than a desire to wound, to say something nasty to get a rise out of Ned.

So the Celtigar's and Velaryon's are of Valyrian descent but when did they actually set up shop in Westeros? Did they arrive with the Targs or where they there prior to that?

Dragonstone was the "most distant part of the Valyrian freehold" not only before Aegon, but even before Aenar the Exile. I suppose the houses sworn to Dragonstone were there before the Targaryens came. What I find curious is that Daynes are also of Valyrian descent (not sure if it was directly stated, but they do have purple eyes) and their lands are half a world away from Dragonstone. Did they inherit their eyes through someone else's female line?

Dragonstone was the "most distant part of the Valyrian freehold" not only before Aegon, but even before Aenar the Exile. I suppose the houses sworn to Dragonstone were there before the Targaryens came. What I find curious is that Daynes are also of Valyrian descent (not sure if it was directly stated, but they do have purple eyes) and their lands are half a world away from Dragonstone. Did they inherit their eyes through someone else's female line?

The Daynes aren't Valyrian it seems, their history dates back thousands of years. I have my personal theories about this. I think that originally it was some of the First Men who had the "valyrian" features and that one such person was the Last Hero. Some of his kin went on to become the Dayne's while the rest founded Valyria after the Long Night.

ETA: On Dragonstone and the other Valyrian houses: While Celtigar and Velaryon did swear themselves to Aegon, this doesn't necessarily mean they arrived with Aegon. The wiki says that Dragonstone was built by the Targs upon arriving at Westeros and it makes sense that the Velaryons and Celtigars where there before - it explains why the Velaryons would have their seat on a much larger island than the Targaryens. But I'm unsure as to how long before.

I've been wondering about the timing of Steffon's mission to the Free Cities and Varys's arrival in KL and I caught this: Cressen recalled that Aerys was not quite so mad when he sent Steffon across the Narrow Sea to search for a suitable match for Rhaegar and Barristan once told Stannis that the rot in Aerys's reign began with Varys. Is that enough to assume that Varys arrived in KL after Steffon's mission?

The wiki says that Dragonstone was built by the Targs upon arriving at Westeros

Pretty sure it was a Valyrian outpost long before Aegon's landing. From the wiki article on Dragonstone:

A century or so before the Doom of Valyria, House Targaryen, a noble Valyrian house, took possession of the island and built a castle upon it, which became the westernmost outpost of the Valyrian Freehold. The castle towers were shaped by Valyrian magic to look like dragons, giving it the name Dragonstone.

Pretty sure it was a Valyrian outpost long before Aegon's landing. From the wiki article on Dragonstone:

Exactly. So Dragonstone didn't exist prior to the Targaryen's arriving there which was my point. So Dragonstone was about 100 years before Aegon's Conquest. However I'm curious as to how long the Velaryon's and Celtigar's where about. It makes sense seeing as the Velaryon's have the larger island.

Exactly. So Dragonstone didn't exist prior to the Targaryen's arriving there which was my point. So Dragonstone was about 100 years before Aegon's Conquest. However I'm curious as to how long the Velaryon's and Celtigar's where about. It makes sense seeing as the Velaryon's have the larger island.

I see what you mean. I think Dragonstone would have been built about 200 years before the conquest. There was a "century of blood" between the Doom and Aegon's conquest.

A few questions if anyone can help me out.

Did the Targaryans have any religion before they came over to the Seven Kingdoms? Going off of Baelor the Blessed, I would assume they suscribed to the Church of the Seven after they came to Westeros; but were they known to have any religion before that?

What's up with the "warden" titles exactly? How much power do they give? I remeber Ned being scared in the first book because Jamie was named Warden of the East, and Ned was all "now half the armies of the Seven Kingdoms are in the hands of the lannisters." But are they really? The eyrie never joined up with the lannisters. If they had stayed loyal to Joffery though, and Jamie hadn't been captured, would they have been expected to follow Jamie's command? I just don't really get the whole Warden thing in general; does it actually have power, or is it more of an honorary thing?

Did the Targaryans have any religion before they came over to the Seven Kingdoms? Going off of Baelor the Blessed, I would assume they suscribed to the Church of the Seven after they came to Westeros; but were they known to have any religion before that?

What's up with the "warden" titles exactly? How much power do they give? I remeber Ned being scared in the first book because Jamie was named Warden of the East, and Ned was all "now half the armies of the Seven Kingdoms are in the hands of the lannisters." But are they really? The eyrie never joined up with the lannisters. If they had stayed loyal to Joffery though, and Jamie hadn't been captured, would they have been expected to follow Jamie's command? I just don't really get the whole Warden thing in general; does it actually have power, or is it more of an honorary thing?

To the first question, the Targaryens worshipped the gods of Valyria, in a religion that doesn't seem to exist anymore. They converted when Aegon conquered.

With the Wardens.... we aren't really sure. It could be a military title, but we have no way of knowing. My guess is that it isn't really an effective title. The Arryns wouldn't have joined Joffrey if Lysa didn't will it. Being a Lord Paramount seems to be much more important than a Warden. It's likely honorary.

To the first question, the Targaryens worshipped the gods of Valyria, in a religion that doesn't seem to exist anymore. They converted when Aegon conquered.

Actually in Davos I or II of Clash we learn that Aegon prayed in the Sept before he began his invasion. That was the Sept from which the wooden icons were burned by Mel on DS.

In one of the Dany chapters she names her ships after three Valyrian gods, I think Aegon converted probably to appeal to more of the southern Westerosi.

Why do we not know who Ned's mother was? Did he know her,or did she die when he was young? Obviously she had Lyanna and Benjen after Ned, so he must have known her a bit. Am I missing something entirely here? Enligten me please!

Archived