Small Questions v 10008

Stubby

Why do we not know who Ned's mother was? Did he know her,or did she die when he was young? Obviously she had Lyanna and Benjen after Ned, so he must have known her a bit. Am I missing something entirely here? Enligten me please!

It's speculated that it's deliberately been kept hidden as she may have some plot important origins - e.g she might be a skagosi. However there's nothing confirmed.

I believe Martin was asked about it but refused to answer and was rather coy about it. Either he doesn't have an answer (which strikes me as incredibly unlikely seeing as he managed to create dozens of plot-useless Lannisters) or he's hiding something.

Why do we not know who Ned's mother was? Did he know her,or did she die when he was young? Obviously she had Lyanna and Benjen after Ned, so he must have known her a bit. Am I missing something entirely here? Enligten me please!

It's speculated that it's deliberately been kept hidden as she may have some plot important origins - e.g she might be a skagosi. However there's nothing confirmed.

I believe Martin was asked about it but refused to answer and was rather coy about it. Either he doesn't have an answer (which strikes me as incredibly unlikely seeing as he managed to create dozens of plot-useless Lannisters) or he's hiding something.

Here are the SSMs: http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1035 http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1209 (the second one is long, it is somewhere in the middle)

I am almost positive that Oberyn never mentions it. He's too focused (it would seem) on Elia's rape and murder to care about her husband's infidelity.

Or, since he has children with at least five different mothers and evidently engages in sexual encounters with his paramour and other women (i.e., at the same time), maybe he doesn't think it's a big deal.

Martell hard feelings seem to be almost all because of what was done to Elia.

Who can make someone a lord? Is it exclusively king's right, can any lord paramount do it, or can any lord name someone their lordly vassal of a part of their lands?

It's not clear whether only kings can grant lordship, or Lords Paramount can do it as well. Minor lords certainly can't. All lordships so far had been granted by the king (LF's lordship of Harrenhall, Slynt's lordship of Harrenhall, Lancel's lordship of Darry, Garlan's lordship of Brightwater...)

However, stripping of lordships can apparently be done by Lords Paramount - example being Ned stripping Jorah of his lordship over Bear Island.

Who can make someone a lord? Is it exclusively king's right, can any lord paramount do it, or can any lord name someone their lordly vassal of a part of their lands?

Someone is promised a Lordship in one of the D&E tales, by a member of the royal family that is not a king, so it may be flexible or he could have just meant he would have the king do it.

I'd heard that there was a gigantic Excel file which details the timeline, day to day, of all the events of the novels. Anyone know where this can be found?

I've also heard there is a PDF of all the SSM (So Spake Martin) divided up by topic, some people in this thread were talking about it, but couldn't find it http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/92311-where-was-the-hound-during-rr-and-the-sack-of-kl/page__st__20

How do Targ genetics work? Is it like the Baratheons? If a Targ with silver hair marries one with dark hair would the child have silver or dark hair?

The Targaryen genes are more recessive than the Baratheon genes, however unlike the Baratheon genes it's not a guaranteed result. For example silver haired Rhaegar and the presumably dark haired Elia Martell produced silver haired Aegon and Dornish looking (aka dark) Rhaenys.

How do Targ genetics work? Is it like the Baratheons? If a Targ with silver hair marries one with dark hair would the child have silver or dark hair?

Depends on the genetic traits of the parents. Let's take for an example the grandpa and grandma of Robert Baratheon: his grandpa is a Baratheon who is pure dark-haired and his grandma is Rhaelle Targaryen who is pure silver-haired. Using Mendel's law of genetics and the Punnett Square to cross the homozygous dark-haired Baratheon (BB), which is a dominant trait, and homozygous silver-haired Targaryen (tt), which is a recessive trait (like blondes), all their offsprings will be 100% dark-haired coz the dominant trait will show up (Bt, Bt, Bt, Bt). So I guess Steffon is dark-haired but he still carry the recessive trait in his genes (the small "t" in the Bt). If he married a pure silver-haired Targaryen though, their offsprings will have 50% chances of being dark-haired (with the recessive trait) and 50% chances of being pure silver-haired; since he married a pure dark-haired woman (I assume Cassana Estermont is dark-haired?), all their offsprings would be dark-haired. Don't know if this scientific thing works in asoiaf fantasy world though. :P

Just for the record, GRRM says Planetos genetics don't work in the same way as on ours Earth. I think this was his way of sayin we shouldn't to get too scientific about it and accept that it's fantasy.

The Targaryen genes are more recessive than the Baratheon genes, however unlike the Baratheon genes it's not a guaranteed result. For example silver haired Rhaegar and the presumably dark haired Elia Martell produced silver haired Aegon and Dornish looking (aka dark) Rhaenys.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering...how Aegon gets silver hair

Why kill Elia if women can't sit the throne, KL was or would soon be taken and her children and husband are all killed? Would not sparing her have been the wiser, more diplomatic answer? What claim could she have made that would have been a true threat?

Why kill Elia if women can't sit the throne, KL was or would soon be taken and her children and husband are all killed? Would not sparing her have been the wiser, more diplomatic answer? What claim could she have made that would have been a true threat?

If you sent her back to her brother in Dorne she would have been constantly agitating for revenge.If shes kept prisoner in KL her brothers might start a war to rescue her.if shes dead you can say that it happened in the choas of the sack and make peace with her brothetrs

It's not totally canon, but I (and many others, including in book characters) believe that Tywin never forgot about Elia, and had her murdered because she usurped Cersei's chances of marrying Rhaegar, a plan that Tywin had been working on for some time.

Archived