Small Questions v 10008

Stubby

If you sent her back to her brother in Dorne she would have been constantly agitating for revenge.If shes kept prisoner in KL her brothers might start a war to rescue her.if shes dead you can say that it happened in the choas of the sack and make peace with her brothetrs

Good food for thought, thanks. My thoughts on each are below.

I think the first option is the best. She would have no claim and you either insist on something from Dorne to ensure their allegiance or make due with her children having been killed as a cost of war and Dorne gets over it somehow. Killing/abusing her in addition to her children certainly didn't result in an amicable close to the matter. Oberyn and Dorne may well have been less anxious for revenge had she been spared... certainly (in my mind) they couldn't have been more vengeful than they were anyway.

The second option is probably a bad idea, I agree... but they could in theory offer to "foster" some close relative (similar to Myrcella in Dorne) in exchange for Elia. They could also just let her go free. As stated above, I don't see how that would be worse than killing her and it strikes me as being much better.

The last option might have been wise... if they pulled it off. Instead, Dorne learned of what happened and once that occured... Dorne's perceived right to vengence was higher than it might have been had Elia been spared.

It's not totally canon, but I (and many others, including in book characters) believe that Tywin never forgot about Elia, and had her murdered because she usurped Cersei's chances of marrying Rhaegar, a plan that Tywin had been working on for some time.

That makes some sense, thanks. It was a bit reckless on Tywin's part, however I suppose that sort of debt payment over a slight is not out of his character. In the end, this makes it less obviously objectionable to me and I can live with the idea that the charaacters would have chosen to do it.

Tywin's (lack of) control of the Mountain is still a beef with me, whether due to inability or just lack of desire to control Clegane. The abuse of Elia was excessive and should have resulted in something of a reprimand (or worse). It absolutely risked fanning Dorne's anger.

Good food for thought, thanks. My thoughts on each are below.

I think the first option is the best. She would have no claim and you either insist on something from Dorne to ensure their allegiance or make due with her children having been killed as a cost of war and Dorne gets over it somehow. Killing/abusing her in addition to her children certainly didn't result in an amicable close to the matter. Oberyn and Dorne may well have been less anxious for revenge had she been spared... certainly (in my mind) they couldn't have been more vengeful than they were anyway.

The second option is probably a bad idea, I agree... but they could in theory offer to "foster" some close relative (similar to Myrcella in Dorne) in exchange for Elia. They could also just let her go free. As stated above, I don't see how that would be worse than killing her and it strikes me as being much better.

The last option might have been wise... if they pulled it off. Instead, Dorne learned of what happened and once that occured... Dorne's perceived right to vengence was higher than it might have been had Elia been spared.

That makes some sense, thanks. It was a bit reckless on Tywin's part, however I suppose that sort of debt payment over a slight is not out of his character. In the end, this makes it less obviously objectionable to me and I can live with the idea that the charaacters would have chosen to do it.

Tywin's (lack of) control of the Mountain is still a beef with me, whether due to inability or just lack of desire to control Clegane. The abuse of Elia was excessive and should have resulted in something of a reprimand (or worse). It absolutely risked fanning Dorne's anger.

Do we know he wasn't reprimanded or chastised?

Do we know he wasn't reprimanded or chastised?

I haven't seent that explicitly stated anywhere so I assume that it did not... but if he was reprimanded in a meaningful way, I would think that would have been publicized to Dorne in some way and it should have come up in POVs from someone like Tyrion or even in discussions Oberyn and others had. I don't recall it being mentioned.

I haven't seent that explicitly stated anywhere so I assume that it did not... but if he was reprimanded in a meaningful way, I would think that would have been publicized to Dorne in some way and it should have come up in POVs from someone like Tyrion or even in discussions Oberyn and others had. I don't recall it being mentioned.

I think Tywin liked having beasts like Gregor and Amory available. If they ever acted too far out of turn he would have "reyned" them in.

Didnt Tywin try to clear gregor by blaming the dead at this point and thus no longer useful Amory Lorch?

gregor was useful to Tywin as an enforcer,so Tywin never punished him.He was actually annoyed with Tyrion for promising the Martells the head of the man who killed Elia

Who's the other bandit that arrives with Rast to the Wall? He's "mentioned" in the second book of Tyrion in GoT, when Jon goes to the Wall for the first time along with Yoren, Rast, this other guy, and Tyrion and his two guards

Isn't Lark the Sisterman? Both of them came from a Gulltown dungeon, right?

Thanks! Could someone confirm/deny this though? :o

Gregor was useful to Tywin as an enforcer,so Tywin never punished him.He was actually annoyed with Tyrion for promising the Martells the head of the man who killed Elia

That's my sense from the books.

I struggle with the feeling that this is the type of diplomatically strategic that I would expect from Tywin if it hadn't been made clear in the text... but in the end I suppose that I'll survive.

Among the freed slaves I slavers bay were there any young kids being taught to read & write with or without tongues?

We aren't told. Our POV for Slaver's Bay - Dany - hasn't inspected freed slaves.

Why, do you have some theory that Slaver's Bay was used as bird's recruiting pool :P ?

I'm re-reading feast now, and one thing I find very interesting is that Cersei blames Pycelle for Tywin's stink, but Cersei actually put Qyburn in charge of preparing the body. What's up with this? I know Cersei is supposed to be unhinged but this is very early in the novel when she has yet to go as crazy as she does later.

I suspect Qyburn as well, if anyone. He had the body first, then the silent sisters got it. However this forms the basis for a heresy known as "oberyn poisoned tywin" My second choice for an explanation is it was a symbolic literary type thing for Tywin or for Qyburn's evil Mengele touch. GRRM doesnt explain everything not even to himself.

Thanks for responding to my post. I think we agree on the first explanation (that the stink was Qyburn's fault). I kind of like the Oberyn poisoned Tywin theory, so that is my second explanation.

But my real question is why does Cerssei blame Pycelle at all? She was the one who told Qyburn to take care of the body! As far as we know Pycelle never touched it. She should have blamed Qyburn and not Pycelle, but she blames Pycelle.

Archived