Small Questions v 10008

Stubby

Why didn't Howland Reed show up when Robb called the banners? Most of the northern lords marched south with Robb, but Howland is just chillin out at greywater watch, what's up with that. Also, did he even send any men? I mean, I assume he did, but I don't remember.

Not sure about this one, but IIRC Robb said cranngomen fight best in their own environment, and not as "standard" soldiers. He probably left them in the Neck so they would guard the area, control the pass between South and North and mess with anyone who wants to pass.

As it turned out, they did exactly that when Ironborn captured Moat Cailin - so they did their part in the war.

Among the freed slaves I slavers bay were there any young kids being taught to read & write with or without tongues?

Not quite on point, but a couple of semi-related thoughts: Missandei was taught/learned multiple languages, though that was presumably while she was still a slave. Patchface could sing fluently in 4 languages, again presumably while he was a slave (though he was from Volantis, not Slavers Bay).

How would Jon Snow know Summer's name?

Bran didn't name his wolf until he woke up (not immediately, either). Jon had been on the wall for a while and never had any communication with Bran.

Bran didn't name his wolf until he woke up (not immediately, either). Jon had been on the wall for a while and never had any communication with Bran.

In all seriousness: Telepathy?

I just assumed it was sensed through ghost... If you can sense a name... maybe that is a plot hole. :dunno:

That's what I meant. Ghost and that weirwood contact. Or maybe he did receive a letter after all, about Bran waking and Summer's name being mentioned by the way.

Robb sends a letter about Bran waking up, we don't actually see the full contents, might have been mentioned inside.

It's a GOT chapter, Jon is summoned to Mormont for the first time.

Is there any indication that Littlefinger knows about Dany and her dragons? I assume he was at the small council meeting when Varys said a three headed dragon had been born in Qarth but other than that.

Is there any indication that Littlefinger knows about Dany and her dragons? I assume he was at the small council meeting when Varys said a three headed dragon had been born in Qarth but other than that.

At the end of DWD, Pycelle mentions that number of tales of Dany and dragons came from east, too many to disregard. One could speculate that LF, usually being very informed, would also know. And there's also his cryptic sentetnce: What little peace and order the five kings left us will not long survive the three queens, I fear

This essay in interesting - author discusses possibility that LF not only knows of Dany, but works for her:

http://www.towerofthehand.com/blog/2011/04/12-mockingbird-part-3-along-came/

i have read some mention of the next phase of the stroy being "the war of the 5 queens". who exactly would the 5 be?

dany

marg

cersei

myrcella

sansa

arianne

asha

val

jeyne

seleyse

shireen

i know some of these are long shots, but just bringing up a bunch who may fit.

i think 3 or 4 are locks, but wondering on the last 1, maybe 2?

i have read some mention of the next phase of the stroy being "the war of the 5 queens". who exactly would the 5 be?

[...]

LF mentions to Sansa that he anticipates the war of the 3 queens (not 5, that was the number of kings). There is much speculation about who the 3 will be, but Margaery & Cersei are usually considered to be pretty sure shots.

Who would occupy the third spot however is definitely a big question.

In the Prologue chapter of ACOK, of course we know Melisandre drinks the same cup of wine laced with the Strangler as Cressen does. First, why exactly did she not die from it? Is it presumed her priestess powers made her somehow immune? Second, why would a Maester keep the Strangler, or for that matter the Tears of Lys or other poisons around? I don't recall a link that can be forged for mastering poisons. I know in the ACOK Prologue it's mentioned that somehow the art is learned when they forge their healing link, but that doesn't necessarily mean they should keep poison lying around...

In the Prologue chapter of ACOK, of course we know Melisandre drinks the same cup of wine laced with the Strangler as Cressen does. First, why exactly did she not die from it? Is it presumed her priestess powers made her somehow immune? Second, why would a Maester keep the Strangler, or for that matter the Tears of Lys or other poisons around? I don't recall a link that can be forged for mastering poisons. I know in the ACOK Prologue it's mentioned that somehow the art is learned when they forge their healing link, but that doesn't necessarily mean they should keep poison lying around...

Either Mel's powers made her immune to poisons, or she saw what Cressen planned to do (via her fires) and took antidote before the feast. Remember how she comments that dangers to her person are first thing she learned to seek for when looking at the fires.

Secondly, maester's chain is presumably made of dozens of links, so it's not improbable that one of them concerns making poisons. It's also not unusual for maester to keep poisons in his chambers - at least judging from Cressen's and Pycelle's example. If some Lord needs to poison somebody, he's likely to come to his maester first.

Archived