Small Questions v 10008

Stubby

Either Mel's powers made her immune to poisons, or she saw what Cressen planned to do (via her fires) and took antidote before the feast. Remember how she comments that dangers to her person are first thing she learned to seek for when looking at the fires.

Secondly, maester's chain is presumably made of dozens of links, so it's not improbable that one of them concerns making poisons. It's also not unusual for maester to keep poisons in his chambers - at least judging from Cressen's and Pycelle's example. If some Lord needs to poison somebody, he's likely to come to his maester first.

Here's the applicable quote from CoK prologue that supports your post:

All the world knew that a maester forged his silver link when he learned the art of healing - bit the world preferred to forget that men who knew how to heal also knew how to kill

There's then a bunch of talk about the ingredients for the strangler poison and strong implication that he learned this at the Citadel.

i have read some mention of the next phase of the stroy being "the war of the 5 3 queens". who exactly would the 5 be?

LF says the kingdom survived the War of 5 Kings, but it might not last thru the 3 queens. Queen Dowager Cersei, 2x Queen Dowager/future Queen Margaery, and the Queen of Roses are IMO who he is talking about.

Robb sends a letter about Bran waking up, we don't actually see the full contents, might have been mentioned inside.

It's a GOT chapter, Jon is summoned to Mormont for the first time.

I don't think Robb and Catelyn knew Summer's name either.

Here's the applicable quote from CoK prologue that supports your post:

There's then a bunch of talk about the ingredients for the strangler poison and strong implication that he learned this at the Citadel.

Nice. Thanks for quote.

Bran could have told them once he woken up.

Bran woke up before Robb left. Robb's preparations and talks with bannermen were from his PoV. In fact, Robb was the first person to be told Summer's name. Cat most likely was told by Robb.

Margaery & 2 of Cersei, Sansa & Dany. Margaery is the current queen. Cersei is too but LF is planning to remove her from the game. Dany is most apparent to reader but maybe not LF. Does LF intend to play Sansa as queen?

Is there a specific thread on these forums pertaining to the progress on TWOW?

No. Forum admins and mods discourage unfounded speculations about release date of WoW. For everything other we know about WOW, including spoiler chapters, you can visit this subforum: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/forum/58-the-winds-of-winter/

George Martin usually publishes some news and information on his official site and blog, though:

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/

http://grrm.livejournal.com/

AFAIK, latest news is that GRRM started to work faster to finish she series before HBO show does.

Either Mel's powers made her immune to poisons, or she saw what Cressen planned to do (via her fires) and took antidote before the feast. Remember how she comments that dangers to her person are first thing she learned to seek for when looking at the fires.

Secondly, maester's chain is presumably made of dozens of links, so it's not improbable that one of them concerns making poisons. It's also not unusual for maester to keep poisons in his chambers - at least judging from Cressen's and Pycelle's example. If some Lord needs to poison somebody, he's likely to come to his maester first.

Thanks for the reply, but with all due respect, these are both speculative answers.

I'm sure Cressen taught him.

I'm not sure we know the exact age Robert was sent with Ned to the Eyrie to foster with Jon Arryn. It's a technical distinction wrt to the original question, but it's possible Bob learned to read at the Eyrie. I presume that would have been with Maester Colemon.

I'm not sure we know the exact age Robert was sent with Ned to the Eyrie to foster with Jon Arryn. It's a technical distinction wrt to the original question, but it's possible Bob learned to read at the Eyrie. I presume that would have been with Maester Colemon.

He was raised in Storms End until his parents died, at least. Which would have made him no younger than 15 when sent to the Eyrie. So I think it is likely he learned from Cressen. For no other reason except what else would the Maester have done with him for 15 years.

He was raised in Storms End until his parents died, at least. Which would have made him no younger than 15 when sent to the Eyrie. So I think it is likely he learned from Cressen. For no other reason except what else would the Maester have done with him for 15 years.

Thanks. As a follow up, why would a 15 year old then be sent to foster? That's already the age Robb is leading his northern host, or when Joff is king, etc. Seems if the point of fostering is having the influence and environment of another family, strengthening inter-family bonds, then 15 is on the late side. Also, who made the decision to foster? Cressen? Someone else? It's always stated that Robert was "sent to foster", but not mentioning who sent him.

Thanks. As a follow up, why would a 15 year old then be sent to foster? That's already the age Robb is leading his northern host, or when Joff is king, etc. Seems if the point of fostering is having the influence and environment of another family, strengthening inter-family bonds, then 15 is on the late side. Also, who made the decision to foster? Cressen? Someone else? It's always stated that Robert was "sent to foster", but not mentioning who sent him.

Yea its pretty strange considering he was already Lord of Storms End at the point when he went to foster. Maybe it was because he lost his parents, maybe it was to build alliances. And on a side note, assuming he left to foster the same year Lord Steffon died, it would have only been 3 or 4 years before the Rebellion started.

Because peace prevailed in westeros at that time.

Yea its pretty strange considering he was already Lord of Storms End at the point when he went to foster. Maybe it was because he lost his parents, maybe it was to build alliances. And on a side note, assuming he left to foster the same year Lord Steffon died, it would have only been 3 or 4 years before the Rebellion started.

That last part sorta makes sense, though, since it was once Bobby met Ned that he met Lyanna and fell for her. Moreover, the two were betrothed around then, sometime before the Tourney at Harrenhal. It makes one realize that there were quite a bit of House to House Alliances being strengthened/forged at that time (aside from the tension brewing between Lannister and Targaryen).

In Bran I in GoT:

Halfway across the bridge, Jon pulled up suddenly.

"What is it, Jon?" their lord father asked.

"Can't you heat it?"

Bran could hear the winds in the trees, the clatter of their hooves on the ironwood planks, the whimpering of his hungry pup, but Jon was listening to something else.

"There," Jon said. He swung his horse around and galloped back across teh bridge. They watched him dismount where the direwolf lay dead in teh snow, watched him kneel. A moment later he was riding back to them, smiling.

What did Jon 'hear' if Ghost is a mute?

And further down Bran wonders why 'this pup along would have opened his eyes while the others were still blind', it seems like that would be forshaddowing, but Bran comes into his abilities first...

Archived