Small Questions v 10008

Stubby

Because peace prevailed in westeros at that time.

I get that part. But my point about age is that when Steffon died, Bobby immediately became Lord of Storms End. Was he not mature enough to take that position at 15? I'm not sure we know his state of maturity at that time.

In Bran I in GoT:

What did Jon 'hear' if Ghost is a mute?

And further down Bran wonders why 'this pup along would have opened his eyes while the others were still blind', it seems like that would be forshaddowing, but Bran comes into his abilities first...

I could very well be wrong but I thought there was a passage when Jon and Ghost were separated that Ghost laid his head back and howled...

In Bran I in GoT:

And further down Bran wonders why 'this pup along would have opened his eyes while the others were still blind', it seems like that would be forshaddowing, but Bran comes into his abilities first...

There's been speculation on other threads that this involved the work of Brynden Rivers, perhaps warging Ghost to direct Jon to him. This makes sense if you believe the theory that it was BR who sent the direwolf south of the Wall in the first place.

In Bran I in GoT:

Maybe it's the pup's movement that's making the noise. Or if the wolf pups were already magically bonded with the Stark children (finding them wasn't a coincidence), Jon felt the pup calling for him.

Maybe Ghost was the firstborn. If it's a foreshadowing of something, Jon will be the first to learn about the warging. Can't remember though who warg their wolf first, Jon or Bran? :dunno:

I was wondering if someone could please jog my memory regarding Arya's adventures in Harrenhal. Why did she chose to not to reveal her true identity to Bolton or the Northmen that she helped to free? Was it because the Leach Lord was equally merciless as the Lannisters or because he kept the Bloody Mummers around? It's been awhile since I read ACOK and I can't remember. Thanks a lot in advance.

I was wondering if someone could please jog my memory regarding Arya's adventures in Harrenhal. Why did she chose to not to reveal her true identity to Bolton or the Northmen that she helped to free? Was it because the Leach Lord was equally merciless as the Lannisters or because he kept the Bloody Mummers around? It's been awhile since I read ACOK and I can't remember. Thanks a lot in advance.

She knew of them but she didn't know them. She probably would have revealed herself to Lord Medger Cerwyn but he died.

I could very well be wrong but I thought there was a passage when Jon and Ghost were separated that Ghost laid his head back and howled...

IIRC, this was Jon's first 'wolf dream' while he was with Halfhand beyond the wall when Ghost was attacked by the eagle. Most would say that he only howled in the dream and he is still a mute.

He was raised in Storms End until his parents died, at least. Which would have made him no younger than 15 when sent to the Eyrie. So I think it is likely he learned from Cressen. For no other reason except what else would the Maester have done with him for 15 years.

How do you know he was raised in SE until his parents died? Because saw the shipwreak? What if he was just visiting home to greet them upon their return? Ned was 8 when he was sent, which seems to be typical--begin as a page, serve as a squire & win a knighthood.

If he was only sent to the Eyrie when he was 15, it surely would have been for additional seasoning, no?

I think it might have just been instinct. Look at her reaction when they asked for her name upon their release of the dungeon. Then when she asked Roose to take her with him when he left Harrenhall, she still didnt. I do however find their interactions odd.

"Are you fold of animals?"

"Some kinds my lord."

A thin smile twitched across his lips.

Three books later he tell Theon that his use of "my lord" over "m'lord" betrays his birth. And that isn't the only time he is said to smile at her, and it almsot seems like he is fond of her.

My lord," she asked, "will you take me with you when you Harrenhall?"

He turned to stare at her, and from the look in his eyes it was as if his supper had just spoken to him. "Did I give you leave to question me, Nan?"

"No, my lord," she lowered her eyes.

"You should not have spoken, then. Should you?"

"No, my lord."

For a moment he looked amused. "I will answer you, just this once. I mean to give Harrenhall to Lord Vargo when I return to the north..."

How do you know he was raised in SE until his parents died? Because saw the shipwreak? What if he was just visiting home to greet them upon their return? Ned was 8 when he was sent, which seems to be typical--begin as a page, serve as a squire & win a knighthood.

If he was only sent to the Eyrie when he was 15, it surely would have been for additional seasoning, no?

Good point there. The timeline is still unclear to me then. If Ned was sent to the Eyrie at age 8, and we know Ned and Bob are the same age, then Ned would in that scenario have been at the Eyrie 7 years before Bob even got there. Something is fishy with that to me...

\

From the wiki:

Robert was the first son of Lady Cassana and Lord Steffon Baratheon, head of House Baratheon and lord paramount of the Stormlands. He was born and raised in the Baratheon family seat ofStorm's End. He was a scant year older than his brother Stannis. Many years later a third Baratheon brother was born, named Renly.

When they were still young, Robert and Stannis watched as their parents died in a shipwreck within sight of Storm's End, making Robert the Lord of Storm's End.[4] Lord Robert went to foster with Lord Jon Arryn at the Eyrie

That seems pretty indisputable to me. But to each his own.

\

From the wiki:

Robert was the first son of Lady Cassana and Lord Steffon Baratheon, head of House Baratheon and lord paramount of the Stormlands. He was born and raised in the Baratheon family seat ofStorm's End. He was a scant year older than his brother Stannis. Many years later a third Baratheon brother was born, named Renly.

When they were still young, Robert and Stannis watched as their parents died in a shipwreck within sight of Storm's End, making Robert the Lord of Storm's End.[4] Lord Robert went to foster with Lord Jon Arryn at the Eyrie

Again, contemplating the events around Robert's youth, it just now made me realize that another reason Bob had for hating the Targs (in addition of Rhaegar + Lyanna, of course), is that it was Aerys who sent Steffon over to find a wife for Rhaegar, and it was during the return from this trip that Bob's parents died in the shipwreck. Bob may very well have already been blaming Aerys for his parents' deaths.

\

From the wiki:

If that were from the app it'd be indisputable. Since it was written by guys like you and me it's disputable.

If that were from the app it'd be indisputable. Since it was written by guys like you and me it's disputable.

The app has less info. It says "an early age". I rarely look at the app. IMO it was a waste of 6 bucks

Also from the Wiki: "Lord Robert went to foster with Lord Jon Arryn at the Eyrie in the Vale of Arryn, ALONG WITH Eddard Stark. They soon became fast friends and Jon Arryn, who had no sons of his own, came to treat them as his own family." (Emphasis added.) There is no citation to the text for the line about being born and raised at Storm's End.

Every example of fostering that comes up in the books (Ned, Robin, Edric Storm, big and little Walder) are about eight years old. I really doubt Robert was sent when he was 15 as he would be almost considered an adult. It's more likely he was visiting home when his parents died and then returned to The Vale.

In Bran I in GoT:

That's not really a small question as there has been quite a bit of debate about it. But to me the most obvious nonmagical answer is that Jon could have just heard him in the brush. I grew up in the country and you can hear things without them actually producing there own sound. leaves crackling, limbs creaking etc..

Archived